Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM   #1
whatmeworry
whatmeworry began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Sony Reader screen problem - only half displayed and repeating

Sorry for the vague title but I can't think how to describe this issue. I've just received my PRS 505 through the post from Play.com and the screen appears to be broken. The right half is displayed correctly (albeit a bit blurry) whilst the left half just repeats (unblurrily) what is on the right side (see pic).

I've tried fully charging it (using a PSP wall charger), done a soft reset and tried changing the page a number of times (the page refreshes ok but with the same problem).
I haven't tried a hard reset as I'm reluctant to do this in case Play won't then accept it back. Any thoughts? Will a hard reset fix it or should I just return it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
whatmeworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
That looks like screen controller problem. You are probably going to need to exchange it for a replacement.

Sorry,
BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Oh, that pic is terrifying! I hope some of our gurus can help you.

And Welcome, despite the circumstances.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen! I would get it exchanged, for sure.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:44 PM   #5
whatmeworry
whatmeworry began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
Thanks guys. So frustrating that I don't even get to play with it.

Still, on the positive side I might not have signed up here if it hadn't been broken. I'll be sure to come back once I get the replacement.

Thanks again for the help and warm welcome.
whatmeworry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
Thanks guys. So frustrating that I don't even get to play with it.

Still, on the positive side I might not have signed up here if it hadn't been broken. I'll be sure to come back once I get the replacement.

Thanks again for the help and warm welcome.
I'd be frustrated too! I hope you get a nice new working one and you come back and hang out
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #7
CoffeeFan
CoffeeFan doesn't litterCoffeeFan doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatmeworry View Post
Sorry for the vague title but I can't think how to describe this issue. I've just received my PRS 505 through the post from Play.com and the screen appears to be broken. The right half is displayed correctly (albeit a bit blurry) whilst the left half just repeats (unblurrily) what is on the right side (see pic).

Scary! I ordered my PRS-505 from Play last weekend and it arrived today. Sad to say I'm having to return it as my reader has EXACTLY the same problem as you scribe and have photographed above. I'm opting for a refund as I suspect, given your description, that Play may have a problem batch.

I've ordered one for collection tomorrow from one of the majors on the high street, just something of a price premium over and above Play. Still, I'm really rather looking forward to loading one or two Stephen King novels on it. I'm sure I've developed muscles in my hand where none should exists trying to hold 'It" in one hand whlist reading over the past few days.
CoffeeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
shinytriceratops
shinytriceratops began at the beginning.

Has any one heard anything else about this problem? I've had this Sony reader for about a year now, and the error recently occurred. I have done nothing to the device (albeit reading it a lot) and I'm sure my warranty is void by now.. Is there anything I might be able to do?
shinytriceratops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 AM   #9
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
I'd try Sony directly (which trying to check the purchase date) nevertheless, as it's not the usual type of display issue.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
frank.w
Enthusiast
frank.w began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle (sans 3G)
Sounds DOA to me -- I'd send it back.

Frank
frank.w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
The original ones were DOA, agreed, but the latest post was from someone who's Reader developed this fault after "about a year"!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
mister_chaz
mister_chaz began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
i've got the same problem! i've had my reader for over a year now (so the warranty has obviously expired..) it was working normally yesterday, until i tried to switch it on, but it didn't. I left it to charge overnight by the wall charger. the next day i turned it on and it seems that the screen has shifted to the left, so i only see half!
i did soft reset, then hard reset - nothing helped.
so i wonder what should i do now...
mister_chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 03:24 AM   #13
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm not sure if this one works, but re-flashing the firmware probably helps. Check out the Sony reader dev corner. There's plenty of information about flashing the reader. And if the warranty is up anyways it's still worth a try.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote