Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-21-2015, 10:10 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
E. L. Doctorow dies.

Such a loss!

Quote:
E.L. Doctorow, Literary Time Traveler Who Stirred the Past Into Fiction, Dies at 84

E. L. Doctorow, a leading figure in contemporary American letters whose popular, critically admired and award-winning novels — including “Ragtime,” “Billy Bathgate” and “The March” — situated fictional characters in recognizable historical contexts, among identifiable historical figures and often within unconventional narrative forms, died on Tuesday in Manhattan. He was 84 and had homes in Manhattan and Sag Harbor, N.Y.

The cause was complications from lung cancer, his son, Richard, said.

The author of a dozen novels, three volumes of short fiction and a stage drama, as well as essays and commentary on literature and politics, Mr. Doctorow was widely lauded for the originality, versatility and audacity of his imagination.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/22/bo...ies-at-84.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 01:04 AM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
This is sad news. The Literary Club recently read Ragtime, and I really enjoyed it.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:11 AM   #3
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Ragtime is one of my all-time favorite novels, one I've reread several times. It's the basis for one of my favorite musicals, as well. Several years ago my son played "The Little Boy" in an excellent community theater production, and I still enjoy listening to the Broadway cast album. World's Fair was another novel of his I enjoyed, though not as much as Ragtime.

For some reason, I was convinced that he was the father of Cory Doctorow, but after reading his obituary, I see I was mistaken.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Here's a list of awards, as noted, taken from Wiki:

1975: National Book Critics Circle Award for Ragtime
1986: National Book Award for World's Fair[7]
1989: National Book Critics Circle Award for Billy Bathgate
1989: Edith Wharton Citation of Merit for Fiction[8]
1990: PEN/Faulkner Award for Billy Bathgate
1990: William Dean Howells Medal for Billy Bathgate
1998: National Humanities Medal from the National Endowment for the Humanities[9][10]
1998: Peggy V. Helmerich Distinguished Author Award from the Tulsa Library Trust
2005: National Book Critics Circle Award for The March
2006: PEN/Faulkner Award for The March
2012: Inducted into the New York Writers Hall of Fame
2012: PEN/Saul Bellow Award for Achievement in American Fiction
2013: Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters from the National Book Foundation[11]
2013: American Academy of Arts and Letters Gold Medal for Fiction
2014: Library of Congress Prize for American Fiction[12]
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Any relation to Cory Doctorow? It's an unusual name (or, to be more precise, a name that I personally haven't encountered anywhere else).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any relation to Cory Doctorow? It's an unusual name (or, to be more precise, a name that I personally haven't encountered anywhere else).
Look two posts up from yours.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:26 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:17 AM   #8
RonPrice
Mr RonPrice
RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RonPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: I have 2 ebooks on the internet
E.L. Doctorow: R.I.P.

THANKING E.L. DOCTOROW

Part 2:
Doctorow has not been part of my literary life in the more than 60 years since I began to spend a great deal of my time with printed matter...
Irrelevant nonsense deleted by moderator

Part 17,826:
His books taught me much, and he will be missed.--President Obama, 22/7/’15.

Last edited by HarryT; 08-05-2015 at 12:50 PM.
RonPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:38 AM   #9
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPrice View Post
[...] Doctorow has not been part of my literary life in the more than 60 years since I began to spend a great deal of my time with printed matter, and in his career which spans 50 years. I have one book in my possession which he had published in 1984: Lives of the Poets. But it is a book I have yet to read [...]
What a brilliant basis for an endless "Doctorow and Me" post! Calling for all MRers who haven't read anything by Doctorow to chime in: Who can write the longest post about Doctorow and themselves? I have read one or two of his short stories and I've seen the Ragtime film, so I am not qualified...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
(meant to quote doubleshuffle here but screwed up)

hmmm.... I don't think I've read any of his books... what would you (not) like to know about me? ha

Last edited by 4691mls; 08-05-2015 at 07:55 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote