Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2013, 10:54 AM   #16
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
If the ebook was purchased there should absolutely be ZERO ads in the ebook, period. If you are giving away the ebooks then some ads may be acceptable.
There's ads and there's ADS

If you open a book and find adverts to buy random products like deodorant, or popular soft drinks, then I agree and I'd stop buying books by that author/publisher depending who was to blame.

If it's a note at the start or end of a book to let you know what other books this author has written or books by similar authors genre/style wise. That's actually useful to both authors, publishers and readers. A rare thing.

Ads anywhere other than that though, that's a hanging offence
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I remember when I was a teenager in the 1970s, advertising in paperbacks was very common. You'd have a page of cardboard with perforated edges in the middle of the book, with adverts for all sorts of things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #18
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsziggs View Post
Apple requires absolutely no author ads promoting purchase of other items or directing you to a website to do so.

We want to use as little production time as possible doing this so we want to remove the ads across the board (Barnes & Noble, Amazon, Kobo, etc.). Those other distributors, however are not requiring that we remove the ads.

Our marketing department will most likely ask that they stay in the epub file being distributed to those companies, meaning a seperate epub file be sent to Apple. How do we convince them that this should be industry standard and the ads should just be removed across the board?

The only thing I can think of is conflict of interest because an ad may say the author's other books are available at amazon.com or barnesandnoble.com.
Ensure that the ads are implemented in a standard way, then hire a developer to create a script that removes those ads prior to submitting the books to Apple. I don't know much about how your system works, but this is very much doable given the structure of ePubs.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I remember when I was a teenager in the 1970s, advertising in paperbacks was very common. You'd have a page of cardboard with perforated edges in the middle of the book, with adverts for all sorts of things.
Ripping those out was the first thing I did after paying for the book that I just paid US$ 1.25 for
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Ripping those out was the first thing I did after paying for the book that I just paid US$ 1.25 for
I don't remember them being perforated, I remember having problems removing the heaver paper stock ads. I'd hate to have those sorts of ads in the middle of my ebooks.

Publishers have a long tradition of listing mini-catalogs of their books at the end of the book (for more than a century), so I don't mind a few pages of advertisement of other books by the author or publisher.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:53 AM   #21
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
It is about time for publishers to learn: 'i-won't' (do it)

Magazines/Newspapers have had ads for years. Even ads for other Magazines.

I hear Radio ads for TV Shows on the (parent) Competitors Network

Paperbacks carried ads for titles NOT stocked at my local bookstore.

A hyperlink causes no problem on my portable... It has no WiFi or 3 G

This is not just a walled garden, it is a Police state
Say NO
Apple not allowing hyperlinks in the iBookstore is *just like* the Gestapo kicking in your door at 3 a.m.?
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #22
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Publishers have a long tradition of listing mini-catalogs of their books at the end of the book (for more than a century), so I don't mind a few pages of advertisement of other books by the author or publisher.
I even ordered a few books that way, back before the internet. It always felt a bit risky and strange blindly mailing a list and money order to a faceless organization and getting a box of books a few months later, just after you'd forgotten about them. It wasn't convenient, but it had its pleasures.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #23
TCSimpson
Fantasy Author
TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TCSimpson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus Tablet
So Apple won't allow a link to a purchase page in their own store? Just looking for clarification.
TCSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:34 AM   #24
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I've got adverts for all my titles in the ones on Apple, including the one they banned. No links on any of them, I don't see the point of that. Even people likely to want to read anything I wrote are intelligent enough to figure it out for themselves.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:36 PM   #25
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How about including the first chapter of one of our other books at the end of an ebook? I do this so readers will be aware of the other book. I don't ask anyone to "purchase" or to "buy" the book. That should be obvious. I do include my email address in case anyone wishes to contact me directly.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by morriss003 View Post
How about including the first chapter of one of our other books at the end of an ebook? I do this so readers will be aware of the other book. I don't ask anyone to "purchase" or to "buy" the book. That should be obvious. I do include my email address in case anyone wishes to contact me directly.
Many authors do this. I never read the sample myself, but I don't see any harm in it (and it's not against Apple's rules).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #27
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
I used them for bookmarks.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
An intersting combinations of statements. Bitch about Apple and then say you won't buy another book by the author who puts ads where you don't like them.
Not really unless you see some connection between telling someone else what to do and making decisions for yourself. Apparently, you do see a connection.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:02 PM   #29
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I like having a list of the author's other books. I don't mind if it says "available at" and lists a store.

I prefer to have any long reviews of other books, sample chapters, etc. placed at the end of the book, not at the beginning. It's really annoying to have to keep flipping past a bunch of extraneous stuff before I can get started reading.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:46 AM   #30
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Many authors do this. I never read the sample myself, but I don't see any harm in it (and it's not against Apple's rules).
Don't see any real harm in it either, although it really can throw you off on the page count. When the book ending smacks you in the face and you were expecting that that last 'chapter' to actually be part of the story you're reading. I do find that kind of annoying at times, especially when I've just run into a cliff hanger by surprise. Ick.

I never, ever read those sample chapters. If it's the next book in the series, I'll either get it or I won't based on what I just read. Otherwise, I don't start anything I don't have complete, or haven't yet checked out the synopsis and reviews. Even in paper books, I never, ever read them.

A nice synopsis of other books I might browse, but never an actual chapter.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 05-04-2013 at 11:43 AM. Reason: can't type
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote