Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-12-2013, 09:35 AM   #46
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
Windows 8 doesn't let you have multiple windows open?
Yes, of course it does. It has a desktop which runs all your existing applications exactly as they run under Windows 7.

It's only "Metro Apps" that run full screen, and that's because those are designed to be tablet apps, and a multi-window UI just doesn't work well on a tablet (which is why iOS and Android tablets also run all apps full-screen).

Honestly, the amount of misinformation in this thread is scary. I honestly have to wonder how many of the people criticising Windows 8 have actually spent any time using it! I use it, and I like it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #47
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Yes, of course it does. It has a desktop which runs all your existing applications exactly as they run under Windows 7.

It's only "Metro Apps" that run full screen, and that's because those are designed to be tablet apps, and a multi-window UI just doesn't work well on a tablet (which is why iOS and Android tablets also run all apps full-screen).
That's precisely what I dislike about it.
They have essentially sandwiched two unconnected UIs into one OS.
Apps written for the 'Windows 7' interface look and feel completely different to apps written for the 'Windows 8' interface. That is a useability nightmare.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:48 AM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Apps written for the 'Windows 7' interface look and feel completely different to apps written for the 'Windows 8' interface. That is a useability nightmare.
I prefer to look at it as being an o/s that supports two environment - desktop/laptop devices, and tablets. If you're using Windows 8 on a desktop or a laptop, you really have no reason to be running Metro Apps; you'll get greater productivity from a conventional desktop app. On the other hand, if you have a tablet, you can run Metro Apps which will optimise the touchscreen experience.

I see it as flexibility, not a "useability nightmare" at all. And as I say, I'm actually using the product.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #49
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Then choose the Windows 7 or the Windows 8 user interface, and ignore the other. As mentioned earlier: you can choose to see the Start Screen as a program launcher and use Windows 8 without modification, or you can replace the Start Screen with a Start Menu and have an environment that is virtually identical to Windows 7. There will be a few inconsistencies in the UI since some of the system settings must be managed through the Windows 8 UI, but you shouldn't be spending much time tweaking settings anyhow.

It honestly isn't that much of an issue. Most people already use applications with non-standard user interfaces. Web browsers are particularly bad for this, as are many media players and Microsoft Office. Those who demand a consistent UI simply choose different applications. Examples include Firefox, which can be setup with a standard UI, and LibreOffice, which uses a standard UI by default.

I'm not claiming that the situation is ideal. As I said earlier, Windows 8 has issues. On the other hand, I agree with HarryT: people are spewing a lot of misinformation.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #50
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
To me, it fails to answer a simple question: If I'm not interested in the Metro interface, why would I want to upgrade? Windows 7 works fine.
If I were to by a new PC now, I would buy it with Windows 7 rather than 8. I know it works, I know it has drivers for everything I need, and why take the risk with a new OS?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #51
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
Not if you Make your money only selling PC's
this new report leaves windows 8 tablets and hybrids with detachable keyboards out of the count for "PCs". so it does make quite abit of difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
No wonder.

Windows 8 is the worst Windows since Windows Millennium.
thats simply not true. it's lighter, smaller, faster and more stable secure than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I have a large monitor and I certainly can handle more than one open window at a time, something windows 8 apps do not support. As far as I am concerned, this iteration of windows is an abomination.
Windows 8 certainly supports having as many desktop windows open as you wish to have open. in the modern ui it allows you to have 2 'apps' open on the display at the same time. currently you are limited to a 2/3 and 1/3 split but that will change with the addition of a half and half split soon.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 04-12-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:43 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
To me, it fails to answer a simple question: If I'm not interested in the Metro interface, why would I want to upgrade? Windows 7 works fine.
If I were to by a new PC now, I would buy it with Windows 7 rather than 8. I know it works, I know it has drivers for everything I need, and why take the risk with a new OS?
No particularly compelling reason to upgrade - I always regard o/s upgrades as risky. Much better to get a new o/s with a new PC, and stick with it. But I really would consider getting Win8 if you decide to get a new PC. Once you get used to it (and yes, it does take a little getting used to) it's very nice. And it starts up a LOT more quickly than Win7 does.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #53
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
If you have Windows 7 and are happy with Windows 7, then there is no need to upgrade. I upgraded because Microsoft was offering the professional version on the cheap and figured that I should learn how the new version of Windows is put together. (I'm frequently called upon to deal with other people's and my employer's computer issues.)

Quote:
I went that route with XP around the time Windows 7 was introduced, and can understand why people would do that.

On the other hand, you are making a decision that will impact future computer use. It is easier to master software that you stick with for a long time and it certainly is more comforting to use the same old thing. Yet it does make upgrading more of a hassle if you do so down the road. There are more things to relearn at one time, partially because there will be more significant changes in the OS and partially because you'll likely end up upgrading a lot more software at one time.
Old 04-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #54
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
I'm still on a six year old desktop running Windows XP, and I dread the day I have to get a new desktop - probably next year, if XP support runs out then.

I'd hope I can still get a Windows 7 desktop then; if not, I'm in trouble as the majority of tools/programs we use for work don't run on Windows 8 or run with problems. (These are proprietary, custom-made tools by our clients, who require using very specific versions and builds of their own tools, so it's not a case of "can probably find something similar that would work".)

I have a fairly new laptop with Windows 7 as my backup computer and for use with those work tools that won't run on XP, but even a laptop (business grade Dell, 15.6'' monitor, full keyboard with numpad) is dreadful for work purposes - I need much more screen space and a large keyboard for starters. I suppose I could use a docking station but as I work from home and don't ever carry the laptop with me, it would be pretty useless - especially as I also need a lot of hard drive space.

So... yeah. I'm just hoping that good desktops won't be going away any time soon. And that Windows 7 is still available next year (we also have a few tools that don't run on Windows 7 and require Windows XP, but they do run in Windows XP Mode on Windows 7 Pro so that would be solvable, if not ideal).

I have an iPad which I use for web surfing when away from the desktop, e.g. to quickly look something up or check some social networks while in bed reading on the Kindle, but I can't imagine using it as my primary computing tool - even if I didn't have very specific requirements that make a desktop the optimal device, even typing tweets is irritating on the virtual keyboard, never mind any longer texts.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:54 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
On the other hand, you are making a decision that will impact future computer use. It is easier to master software that you stick with for a long time and it certainly is more comforting to use the same old thing. Yet it does make upgrading more of a hassle if you do so down the road. There are more things to relearn at one time, partially because there will be more significant changes in the OS and partially because you'll likely end up upgrading a lot more software at one time.
I'd also make a distinction between my main "workhorse" computer, which I'll probably want to connect lots of peripherals to, and a laptop used for other purposes. For my "main" computer I'd certainly want an o/s with good driver support, and I'd probably hesitate about buying Win8 at the present time for that reason; I have a number of older devices (eg a very good printer which I really don't want to have to replace) which I don't know whether or not have Win8 drivers available. For stability reasons, Win8 is fussier about installing older drivers than Win7 is.

I'm running Win8 on a small laptop which I take "out and about" with me on my travels. I don't use any peripherals with it, so driver support is pretty irrelevant. For that, Win8 is perfect. It boots up in under 10s, so it's ideal for a laptop I want to simply switch on and use as quickly as possible.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #56
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
What Can I say.... Windows 8 is good ...have it on two computers but I use Stardock's Start 8 to make my computer more like Win 7.
Heh. Windows 8 is good, so I make it more like Windows 7.

Heh.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #57
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I don't know if my beef with Win 8 is part of the broader reason but I have zero incentive to move to Windows 8.

I've got a tablet, my iPad, and it works great on its own and with my iPhone. I've got multiple cloud services for whatever I need to share with other devices. I also have one power-user desktop PC, one big/heavy laptop, and one ultrabook-ish laptop PC all running Windows 7. I am fully satisfied with the interface and stability. Why should i be at all interested in migrating to Windows 8, at least until I buy a touchscreen laptop, which isn't really even on my radar yet.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #58
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
And until Windows 8 plays nice with Linux/dual-boot, I doubt if I'll ever have to worry about it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 PM   #59
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
And until Windows 8 plays nice with Linux/dual-boot, I doubt if I'll ever have to worry about it.
What issues are you running into? My desktop dual boots Windows 8 and Arch Linux without a hitch. I am using BIOS emulation (and a 2 TB boot drive) though, since UEFI didn't seem to work.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #60
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I prefer to look at it as being an o/s that supports two environment - desktop/laptop devices, and tablets. If you're using Windows 8 on a desktop or a laptop, you really have no reason to be running Metro Apps; you'll get greater productivity from a conventional desktop app. On the other hand, if you have a tablet, you can run Metro Apps which will optimise the touchscreen experience.

I see it as flexibility, not a "useability nightmare" at all. And as I say, I'm actually using the product.
How can you justify having a single app on a 27" monitor? MSFT is pushing towards Windows apps, and there are articles out there saying that the desktop mode is in its way out and is there only for "legacy" apps, meaning that, according to MSFT, the future is for Windows 8 style apps.

And the lack of start button? That drove me nuts, at least I can have it back with Classic Shell. The only reason I have W8 on my work laptop is because it's been forced down my throat by the company, otherwise I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote