Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-11-2013, 05:34 AM   #1
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Bug in Kindle's lookup?

While I was struggling with lookup errors in Kindle, I encountered a strange problem. I simplified the files I was working on and upladed here. There is a simple dictionary and a simple book of which languages were marked as French for the sake of formality.

The curious thing here is that Kindle Paperwhite can't find any definition for the first "istimaline" but it can find the definition for the second "istimaline". I couldn't find any difference between two strings. Is there anyone who have an explanation for this or is this a bug?

I tried it only on Paperwhite.
Attached Files
File Type: zip buggy kindle.zip (11.7 KB, 197 views)
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
I couldn't test your original files, because you set the language code to French and I didn't want to uninstall my French dictionaries.
However, after changing the language codes and re-creating the .mobi files with KindleGen 2.8, the lookup worked fine in both lines:

book.opf

<dc:Language>tr</dc:Language>

dictionary.opf

<dc:Language>tr</dc:Language>
<DictionaryInLanguage>tr</DictionaryInLanguage>
<DictionaryOutLanguage>tr</DictionaryOutLanguage>

Try changing the language codes. If that doesn't fix your problem, it's indeed a PW bug.

BTW, since older Kindles select dictionaries based on the <dc:Language> value of the ebook, you may want to use the proper language codes both for books and dictionaries. Though not strictly necessary, I'd also recommend using the same value for <dc:Language> and <DictionaryInLanguage> in dictionaries. This will allow non-native dictionary users to look up words used in definitions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #3
sevenkul
sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.sevenkul is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I couldn't test your original files, because you set the language code to French and I didn't want to uninstall my French dictionaries.
I thank you for your interest in the problem. The language tr or fr didn't make any difference on my PW. I set the language to fr with the assumption that it is not so common. In fact, I couldn't find an original language code other than en, tr, fr which Kindle Previewer accepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Try changing the language codes. If that doesn't fix your problem, it's indeed a PW bug.
So, you tested lookup in a different device, didn't you?
sevenkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:06 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenkul View Post
So, you tested lookup in a different device, didn't you?
I tested it on my K3 and it worked fine with the Turkish language codes.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote