Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-20-2013, 01:15 AM   #1
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Buying ebooks out of region?

Hi, all.

First off, I'm not trying to find a way to steal/pirate ebooks outright.

In January, Barnard Werber's english translation of <i>Empire of the Ants</i> was released on amazon.co.uk in ebook format (http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/edition...48167319#popup). However, it is only available to UK customers, and is unavailable from Canada.

This novel was one of my favourites growing up, and I was really excited to get an ebook copy for myself, but it looks like that isn't possible unless I'm willing to uproot myself and move to the UK to purchase it (I'm not).

Is there any way to get around this restriction, or "trick" amazon into thinking I live in the UK so that I can buy this book? I know this request seems pretty shady, but I'm not looking to pirate the book - I'm willing to pay for it, and while I get that having an ebook published worldwide presents legal problems and whatnot for publishers, its frustrating to get so close to being able to get a childhood favourite, only to get screwed by a regional restriction.

Funny/Ironic aside: The last time it happened was when I wanted to buy "Larry's Party" by Canadian Author Carol Shields, but couldn't because I live in Canada!

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice.
Vanguard3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:18 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Use a VPN which makes you appear to be in the UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Joy736
Addict
Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joy736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Use a VPN which makes you appear to be in the UK.
Yes, just google VPN and you'll find everything you'll need, but be careful, because Amazon might close your account when they'll find out.
Joy736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 AM   #4
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
A VPN alone didn't work for me. I couldn't find a way to do it. However, I am located in the US. Perhaps, it's easier for Canadians.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
For Amazon just using a VPN or changing the country setting doesn't work anymore. I wanted to buy some books from the UK site and they asked me to "transfer all my purchases to a UK account". So I didn't buy anything that time and I will keep using my US account.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:18 AM   #6
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Looking around I see the title available at Kobo and Books On Board (where it is priced lower than Amazon).

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...Bernard+Werber

http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Empir...DcG7HoYwgw&r=2

For BoB just create a separate UK account with UK address and pay with Paypal no VPN needed.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:32 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It would be a lot easier to buy from a site like BooksOnBoard, where a VPN works just fine. Assuming it's a mainstream publisher, they sell the same books, and it's trivial to convert from ePub to KF8 with Calibre. I buy quite a few books from BoB - their sales often make their (non-Agency) books cheaper than Amazon.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I have an Amazon UK account. I use a VPN, a different account with different email, my credit card and a UK Address.
If looking for a VPN check out Tunnelbear, it has a free version.
http://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I found that Diesel ebook store http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/ sometimes lets me buy books that are region restricted on Booksonboard and Kobo.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Vanguard3000
Zealot
Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vanguard3000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Wow, the VPN trick with TunnelBear did the trick. Thanks a lot, everyone, for the prompt and helpful answers!
Vanguard3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:00 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have an Amazon UK account. I use a VPN, a different account with different email, my credit card and a UK Address.
If looking for a VPN check out Tunnelbear, it has a free version.
http://www.tunnelbear.com/pricing/
Apache
Hotspotshield has a free VPN, too. Yes, that is a possibility, of course. But managing 2 accounts is too much of a hassle for me -- just to save a few bucks occasionally, I thought only the monkey would go this far...
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:31 AM   #12
forgottenbooks
forgottenbooks began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Wow, the VPN trick with TunnelBear did the trick. Thanks a lot, everyone, for the prompt and helpful answers!
Nice to hear that. hows the book?
forgottenbooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 AM   #13
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
I live in France and use Amazon UK for ebooks, and the odd item not available from Amazon France. Amazon UK have my french address because that's where my cc is billed to, and a UK address which belongs to a friend. They seem to be quite happy with shipping to either, except for my kindle which I could have bought from them but not have shipped to France. It is however registered to Amazon UK. My husband's Kindle is registered to Amazon France and uses the same cc and shipping/billing address but a different email address. The Amazon mail account uses a USunlocked cc and a third email but I really only get freebies from that one. It seems complicated but it works. Amazon France doesn't have a good english language book selection but it saves paying the shipping cost from UK on physical items if they are available in both countries. I only use a VPN with main.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard3000 View Post
Glad to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Hotspotshield has a free VPN, too. Yes, that is a possibility, of course. But managing 2 accounts is too much of a hassle for me -- just to save a few bucks occasionally, I thought only the monkey would go this far...
I do not use it to save money. I use it to buy books that are not available in the US. For example, I bought The Devil's Cave by Martin Walker, when it was released in August of 2012. It is not due for release in the US until July 2013.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I do not use it to save money. I use it to buy books that are not available in the US. For example, I bought The Devil's Cave by Martin Walker, when it was released in August of 2012. It is not due for release in the US until July 2013.
Apache
Yes, that's exactly the reason I buy books from the US - in cases where the eBook is not available in the UK, generally due to there being a different US and UK publisher. I'm not particularly price sensitive when it comes to eBooks.