Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
tdido
tdido began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Recipe for Le Monde Diplomatique, edición Cono Sur (Argentina)

Greets, all.

I've taken my first shot at writing a recipe. It's for fetching Le Monde Diplomatique edición Cono Sur (Argentina), which is in Spanish. It requires a subscription. You can find the recipe here.

I'd welcome any feedback if anyone finds it useful.

Cheers!

Last edited by tdido; 01-02-2013 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
tdido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You've got some linux specific code in there for getting covers, that should be removed.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
tdido

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You've got some linux specific code in there for getting covers, that should be removed.
Ah, yes, thank you for pointing that out. I've now replaced the fixed UNIX style path with a Python tempfile.

I'll try to test the recipe in a Windows machine as soon as I get access to one.

Cheers!

Last edited by tdido; 01-02-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Couple of things:

1) Dont use NamedTemporaryFile, use one of the functions from calibre.ptempfile instead as they handle temp file locations in a consistent manner.

2) Dont use PIL, use the save_cover_data_to function from calibre/utils/magick/draw.py it is more robust (PIL is unmaintained, that function uses ImageMagick).
Old 01-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
tdido

Quote:
1) Dont use NamedTemporaryFile, use one of the functions from calibre.ptempfile instead as they handle temp file locations in a consistent manner.
Great, I'll change that. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
2) Dont use PIL, use the save_cover_data_to function from calibre/utils/magick/draw.py it is more robust (PIL is unmaintained, that function uses ImageMagick).
Will do. One question though: what would be the best way to handle the cropping? The cover file, as available in the website, also contains the back cover, which should be removed.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use minify_image and apss the resulting image object to save_cover_data
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
tdido

In the end I used your "Image" wrapper class, which provides a "crop" and a "save" methods, exactly what I needed. No optional Python modules used anymore

Thanks for the help, and let me know if there's anything else that could be improved.

Cheers!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:59 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Merged.

Tags
calibre, calibre recipes, news