Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Looking for Prereaders

How does one find prereaders? I have asked on the books website but only got a response from someone that could not even format a legible email. I have two others so far, but one has preread in the past and does not really provide deep input. The other is new to me.

I am NOT looking for an editor, have a professional one that will be the last person to see the book before release. Just some people to read the story with an eye to things like do characters stay true to themselves, is the universe still consistent (its book 4 in a series), are enough of the dangling threads cleaned up, and so on.

Its 108k scifi/fantasy novel, rate PG at best, so it safe for teenage and up.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #2
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I found a few on Facebook, in the various writing groups.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
You could try asking here.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
You could try asking here.
Where?
Old 10-27-2012, 02:37 PM   #5
BenBanned
Groupie
BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenBanned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paper
That was an indirect way of volunteering myself to Pre-reading,
while avoiding the possibility of rejection.
BenBanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBanned View Post
That was an indirect way of volunteering myself to Pre-reading,
while avoiding the possibility of rejection.

REJECTED!

Joking... Ii'' drop you a PM

Anyone else?
Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 AM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
VydorScope

I suggest that you look through your Christmas list. I can usually find people that will take some time if they are interested in the subject. I also give credits. People love to see their name in print.

If you can get people "invested" in your projects even in a marginal way, they will be prone to give a little time and thought. You do have to show you value their opinion.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #8
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

REJECTED!
Joking... Ii'' drop you a PM
Anyone else?
Sounds interesting. Sure, I'll do a proofread. (I havent actually written anything, though... Just looking to get into writing.)
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
VydorScope

I suggest that you look through your Christmas list.

I am deliberately trying to avoid those close enough to me to be on my Christmas List.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #10
David Munch
Scholar
David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.David Munch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O + iPad Air 4
Maybe we should have a stickied post, where writers can advertize that they are looking for prereaders, as this topic has been up several times. Readers can then contact them through the PM system.
David Munch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 AM   #11
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post

I am deliberately trying to avoid those close enough to me to be on my Christmas List.
In the past, I have been very quiet about my writing with any but those few I trusted absolutely, but now I relaxing and opening up some.

Of course you have to have a bit of thick skin, because there is always the "super critic" that you can't tell at Thanksgiving dinner to go "mount his truck and f*** off."
Old 10-29-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
In the past, I have been very quiet about my writing with any but those few I trusted absolutely, but now I relaxing and opening up some.
I am that way early in a project, but at this late stage I tend to loosen up.
Old 10-29-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:

Of course you have to have a bit of thick skin, because there is always the "super critic" that you can't tell at Thanksgiving dinner to go "mount his truck and f*** off."
Those are the best kind of beta-readers you can get, and the only ones you'll ever learn anything from. People who either say it's okay or you never hear from them again because they thought it was crap and never finished it are no use to anyone.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #14
VydorScope
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
Those are the best kind of beta-readers you can get, and the only ones you'll ever learn anything from. People who either say it's okay or you never hear from them again because they thought it was crap and never finished it are no use to anyone.

I agree.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #15
frahse
occasional author

Gentlemen. I agree.

I like to hear criticism on the thrust of the story before I go to the editor and publisher.
If my pre-readers are just picky, or stupid, well that is OK, but if they point out something that I had worried about myself or not even thought particularly about, then maybe a change is indicated.

Of course if I have my wife (my real editor) handy at any point and I need a quick answer on spelling or grammar, I will holler out. The answer usually comes back before I finish the question and she hardly ever looks up. That though is different from a story line or a character presentation or conflict.

Like any male child, I have no problem questioning the smart girl in the class on grammar or spelling, but I hesitate to broach important things before I believe I have them down pat. After all, males have dignity also.