Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Translating Sigil

One of the the new features that has been implemented for 0.5 (release date yet to be determined) is support for Translations. For Sigil's first supported language Grzegorz Wolszczak has provided a Polish translation. Currently translations are loaded based upon the current system locale. There no support for choosing the language via preferences. This may come at a later time but for now I believe that using the system locale will handle the majority of user needs.

I've put together a wiki page with instructions for creating translations. This first revision is a bit basic but as people have questions I plan to update it to make it more robust.

If anyone is interested in translating Sigil into their native (or second, third, fourth...) language it's now possible.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:53 AM   #2
Pinguin
Datenschürfer
Pinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankindPinguin has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
That's great! Many thanks! Karma for you.
Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #3
daubnet
daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPad
For those who wish to help with translations and don't want to install the quite large Qt SDK (a few hundred MB), there is a 6.4MB Download of the necessary tools available here.

There is one caveat, though: Since binaries for V0.50 haven't been released, you cannot check your translations inside Sigil yet - above tools don't allow you to create your own build.

As a sidenote: On Windows, you'll have to use "lupdate ../../ -ts out.ts" to produce the TS file. Note the missing asterisk. I believe this command line should also work on Linux, but haven't tried.

BTW, I think it makes sense to include the sigil_en.ts file in the GIT repository so that translators don't have to pull the whole source and create the TS file individually. This could also be part of a "string freeze" process.

P.S. I'm working on a german translation. If somebody else is doing the same, please contact me via PM.
daubnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daubnet View Post
There is one caveat, though: Since binaries for V0.50 haven't been released, you cannot check your translations inside Sigil yet - above tools don't allow you to create your own build.
Very true but this will not be an issue once 0.5 is out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daubnet View Post
BTW, I think it makes sense to include the sigil_en.ts file in the GIT repository so that translators don't have to pull the whole source and create the TS file individually. This could also be part of a "string freeze" process.
Agreed. My plan is to do a "string freezing" when betas are ready. I plan to put out a generic .ts file for translators to use at this time too.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:05 PM   #5
daubnet
daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.daubnet is no ebook tyro.

Just in case anybody wants to play with it: Attached is my first version of the german translation. Please note that I currently don't have a 0.50 binary, so things might still be a bit odd at places.

I haven't created a GIT account and committed the file because it is just a first translation, but I thought it might be helpful in development because german text tends to be a bit longer than the english original.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sigil_de.zip (23.4 KB, 1958 views)
Old 10-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #6
user_none

@daubnet, I've pushed a number of changes to the menus that change the text in a number of places. This is why I'm putting off a string freeze until I'm ready to do betas. At least this gives a good head start for later.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:13 PM   #7
daubnet

No worries, my translation wasn't meant to be final in any way, but just a quick patch to help testing etc. I assume half (if not all) of the work will have to be redone when 0.50 is ready.

Something that might be a good idea to discuss before everybody heads off and translates stuff is the current wording in english, because it isn't using a consistent terminology right now. For novice users of Sigil it may become confusing that the same thing is sometimes called "chapter", "file", "document", "item" or "HTML".

Current usage of terms (incomplete):
  • book - the entire ePUB
  • chapter - one XHTML file inside the ePUB
  • document - used most of the time as synonym to book, sometimes as synonym to chapter.
  • section - same as chapter? (New XHTML files are named "sections")
  • text - heading for all chapters/sections
  • styles - heading for all CSS files. there is currently no term used for a single css file.
  • item - any file inside the ePUB
  • HTML - sometimes used as synonym for a chapter

Those are overlapping somewhat. My personal vote would be for:
  • book
  • section *or* chapter (chapter is easier to understand, but may clash with the actual chapters of the book, which may not be identical, so "section" might actually be more suitable)
  • stylesheet
The sections and stylesheets also need a heading for the book browser, currenty those are "Text" and "Styles" - please discuss if it should be "Sections"/"Chapters", and "Stylesheets" instead.

Rules (I just made these up, please discuss)
  • avoid "document" because it is ambiguous, use book or chapter instead
  • avoid "epub", use "book" instead where possible. "epub" is a technology term which is only meaningful when comparing to other formats (so it's fine in the file dialogs etc.)
  • avoid "css", use "stylesheet" instead, unless where comparing to other formats (file dialogs etc.)
  • avoid "item" because it is ambiguous, wherever possible, use book, chapter, image, stylesheet etc. instead.
  • avoid "text", because it is ambiguous. Use "book" or "chapter"/"section" instead.

Additionally, the UI sometimes mentiones HTML, sometimes it mentions XHTML. I know that for validation and similar tasks, the difference between XHTML and HTML is important, while it is otherwise common to use just "HTML", even if it is in fact XHTML. So it may or may not make sense to unify these terms, but nevertheless is probably worth looking at.

Lastly, do you think it should be "EPUB" or "ePUB"? The logo features a lowercase "e", while the www.ipdf.org seems to use mostly "EPUB".
Old 10-11-2011, 02:38 PM   #8
user_none

I like:
  • Book
  • Section
  • Stylesheet

I'm going to use EPUB.

HTML should be used in place of XHTML. Simply because EPUB 3 will use HTML 5 and HTML can also apply to XHTML.

File should be used in place of Item to refer to any or all things inside of an EPUB. E.G. add existing file.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:18 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Chapter is not equal file in many cases.

A "Section" can contain many Chapters (total should be < 260K for compatibility with portable readers). A huge chapter may span sections.

(x)HTML is the coding used for All Sections, be they Cover page,Chapters or Contents Page.

Text can only be added i Book View. (x)HTML can only be added in Code View or added as a file (New section).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #10
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Hi,

I am a complete novice and do not understand Sigil quite yet, so bear with me. All I know is, that it is an editor of some sort and that you can piece several bits of separate books together in it.

Am I correct so far?

This can only be accomplished if the contents are in EPUB format. Is this correct also?

Now you are mentioning being able to change the language. By this, do you mean the actual Sigil content having a different language or the content you put in it can be changed?

Firstly, where can I download the Sigil e-book editing program?

If I explain this task, can you tell me whether or not I can do the things in it that I want to?

To explain:

I have a complete book in .docx format (or if you like, Microsoft Word). The complete book is in Spanish. I have taken out each page separately from the original document.

I would like to change the language in it from Spanish to English.

At the moment, I have taken each page separately and translated it from Spanish to English using an online translator.

This as you can imagine, is very time-consuming. I know at the end of the exercise, I can change the format of the pages from docx to PDF.

What I would like to know is, can Sigil perform this operation much quicker for me somehow?

Or am I barking up the completely proverbial wrong tree in summarising how Sigil works?

Any help on this issue and if it can be solved will be truly appreciated.

Thank you

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:00 PM   #11
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Sigil does not do translation of a book; what IS being discussed here is people supplying the required data to translate the user interface of Sigil to other languages; NOT to translate the content of books.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
Heathside Boy
HB
Heathside Boy began at the beginning.

Device: Nook for PC / Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Sigil does not do translation of a book; what IS being discussed here is people supplying the required data to translate the user interface of Sigil to other languages; NOT to translate the content of books.
Okay, thanks Peter.

Where can I download Sigil?

Regarding my other question, can you put parts of a book separately within it so it is used as an editor?

Thanks

HB
Heathside Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 12:39 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heathside Boy View Post
Okay, thanks Peter.

Where can I download Sigil?
http://code.google.com/p/sigil/
Quote:
Regarding my other question, can you put parts of a book separately within it so it is used as an editor?

Thanks

HB
Sigil works on the complete book ( a EPUB has many required and optional parts in addition to the text). NCX, OPF, Stylesheet, Images, Fonts and the body + others, you can't change in Sigil)

You can add or remove sections , images and fonts in a book, but you are working on THE BOOK in Sigil.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 AM   #14
sbataillon
sbataillon doesn't littersbataillon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
Hi,
I've just finished a Sigil's french translation. It's here :
https://www.transifex.net/projects/p...esource/sigil/

And my website :
[Promotional link removed - MODERATOR]

Have a good day

Sbataillon

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 11-15-2011 at 03:49 PM.
sbataillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
pietvo
Reader
pietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notespietvo can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo Aura 2, iPhone, iPad
I am willing to look into the Dutch translation.
pietvo is offline   Reply With Quote