Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 11:02 PM   #1
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge(Black)
Modified Browser.apk for PE(ermine)

The built-in Browser has a "print-to-eink" function,but is lack of association with txt/html files.Hence I modifed the Browser.apk to add this file association.
here is how to use:
1.root your PE with Z4root;
2.delete(or backup) system\app\Browser.apk (with Root explorer etc);
3.copy the attached Browser.apk into your PE;
4.do a normal installation with the new Browser.apk in your PE;

thereafter when you try to open a txt file in your PE,you will be prompted to use "Browser" as a viewer. If the txt file doesnt display properly in your brower,use menu->setting->text encoding to change encoding method then refresh the page.

astro file manager can open zip files.you can use it with browser to achieve the purpose of reading txt in zip files on eink eventually.
enjoy!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Browser.zip (386.4 KB, 485 views)
javese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
how did you go about modifying it?
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
javese
Zealot
javese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enoughjavese will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
how did you go about modifying it?
Hi emusan,
I used apktool to decode the original apk,then added intent filter in it's manifest and used apktool to build a new apk.Signed it with tools from jdk.That's all.

Last edited by javese; 07-15-2011 at 01:12 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

lol neat, I've been thinking about doing that for a few of their apps...
Old 07-15-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
javese
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
lol neat, I've been thinking about doing that for a few of their apps...
My recent reseach on PE didn't come up with too much. I'm almost sure that the 3 eink applications are not part of android.So it seems there is not much can be done to add more functions on eink from the application level.I should be able to creat an android app to capture the lcd display and send it to eink in the similar way as the built-in browser,but I don't see any use of such kind of application.

I just figured out how the built-in dictionary work and made a tool for building own dictionary db.I built a db in my native language and I'm now almost satisfied with my PE.

I tried to achieve a reader only mode of PE to save power by killing android while the eink reader was running but got no luck.Whenever the zygote or system_server process was killed android would restart,and killing servicemanager would put the device into hibernation.

My only wish is that the response time of doodling on eink can be reduced.Is there any trick can help with this besides the way of calibrating it?I heard that it's much faster on EE than PE.Is it ture?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:42 AM   #6
kronarq
kronarq began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
You might be able to improve response times slightly but bear in mind eink refresh rates tend to be slow.
kronarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 AM   #7
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
I think this is the biggest development. It will be fantastic to associate a key with screendump.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 AM   #8
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by javese View Post
The built-in Browser has a "print-to-eink" function,but is lack of association with txt/html files.Hence I modifed the Browser.apk to add this file association.
Does this effect the constant crashing since ermine beta?
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
THANK YOU! I was trying to do exactly that, copy a text file to the reader just yesterday.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:

I just figured out how the built-in dictionary work and made a tool for building own dictionary db.I built a db in my native language and I'm now almost satisfied with my PE.
Do share this since many people are looking for replacement of default dictionary.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
You rock! I'll try this later.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
fgruber
Academic
fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgruber ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Note Plus
Great job
It would be awesome if someone started a thread with the different commands to control the eink from android apps...

Quote:
My recent reseach on PE didn't come up with too much. I'm almost sure that the 3 eink applications are not part of android.So it seems there is not much can be done to add more functions on eink from the application level.I should be able to creat an android app to capture the lcd display and send it to eink in the similar way as the built-in browser,but I don't see any use of such kind of application.

I tried to achieve a reader only mode of PE to save power by killing android while the eink reader was running but got no luck.Whenever the zygote or system_server process was killed android would restart,and killing servicemanager would put the device into hibernation.

My only wish is that the response time of doodling on eink can be reduced.Is there any trick can help with this besides the way of calibrating it?I heard that it's much faster on EE than PE.Is it ture?
fgruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #13
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
javese,
would you like it to be included in Ermine we're building?
If yes, you probably need to increase versionCode to 9.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 PM   #14
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
Does this effect the constant crashing since ermine beta?
This is PE only, right guys?

It would be awesome if this would fix the EE browser crashing problem!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #15
emusan
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
This is PE only, right guys?

It would be awesome if this would fix the EE browser crashing problem!
It should work on the EE, but I don't think it will fix the crashing problem, this code doesn't really involve that, sorry.