Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #1
Th3sandm4n
Looking for an eReader
Th3sandm4n began at the beginning.

Device: none
Should I buy now or wait

It seems like ereaders are on the rise, with quite a few coming out this year. I have no interest in getting any of these new ones (as they will be expensive), but I was wondering what the general view of this causing current gen ereaders to price cut?
I DO want a reader, but knowing my luck, as soon as I get one, it will get it's price cut a week later.

Aaaaand on that regard, I was wondering on some input on a few of the readers I am considering and what I'm looking for in one, so maybe if you know of one that I haven't heard of you can suggest

What I want:
cheap, support basic formats as well as pdf, eink
What is nice, but not needed:
Expandable memory (books aren't big at all), large screen

What I'm thinking of getting:
1. Sony Reader Pocket ed - cheap and supports a ton of formats. Don't know of any problems with it.
2. Borders Kobo - cheap. Less formats, but does pdf. I read about the problem of getting books from anywhere other than the official store and the text size screwing up, meaning you have to covert. This isn't too much of a problem, since they plan on patching it, but still annoying for the same price as the sony.

Pretty much I think it comes down to who can handle the pdf's better. I would also like to convert my comics I have (cbr) into the LRF, but not sure if this is supported in the pocket edition, much less the kobo. So, I'm calling out to you guys on the forum who own one of these two or maybe another reader that you think I'd like to help me out

Thanks
Th3sandm4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 PM   #2
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
For my portable electronics I attempt to buy used, whenever possible. My reasoning is that the device basically loses value as soon as you open it up and, in the case of portable devices, it will get some scratches from almost day one. The one negative is the lack of a warranty, but it's a calculated risk.

In the case of an e-reader, I decided on a SONY PRS-300 because it does all the basic stuff I need, alternative firmware is in development to add things to make it even better, it fits in my pocket (a personal requirement which eliminated 6 inch readers like the Nook/Kobo), and it's old enough that finding one cheap on eBay was not too difficult.

I basically use it for EPUB books, at least for now. I haven't dealt with PDF's or anything else with heavy graphics, so I can't really comment on that yet.

EDIT: You got me curious on CBR's, so I did a convert via Calibre (CBR input, PDF output and then pushed to my PRS-300). 16MB size for one comic book which isn't too bad, and the SONY actually renders it fairly well. Two issues to keep in mind, however:

1: only ~400MB free internal memory on the device, so you won't be able to keep too many comics on the device at one time.
2: The PRS-300 (SONY Pocket Reader) is a 5 inch screen and you might find it a bit too small to read a comic, comfortably. A 6 inch reader might be a better fit, for something like this.

Last edited by roebeet; 07-07-2010 at 11:00 PM.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
Th3sandm4n
Looking for an eReader

I have no problem with the size because books are relatively small and I only will be reading one at a time. The rest of the space I would be using for comics (also not a lot at once, just a few to finish, then move on to the next chunk), some of my daily rss feeds to text or pdf. The only stuff I want to store on there on a more permanent basis would be literature regarding my work (computer programming) for reference and any other type of reference books I need.

Just did a little searching on Calibre and other than having an ugly interface it seems to be the de-facto software to use. Just looking around on ebay though it seems all the buy-it-nows are the same as in store or come out to the same or more with shipping. I am lazy and don't like to bid though

I'm thinking I will go with the PRS-300 in the end though. I decided to buy one as soon as I finish this book.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:40 AM   #4
Th3sandm4n
Looking for an eReader

But now I see the Nook (wifi) is the same price also! Although, I'm not digging the bottom screen (unecessary) and also that now the Kindle has pdf support (and pan and zoom), but it is still $50 more...
I need to do some youtube review watching for this one...
Old 07-08-2010, 03:42 AM   #5
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
OP: Why not Pocketbook 360? It's very portable and easily handleable, plus it supports lots of formats and it reads PDF mightily fine for its 5''. However, small screens may be troublesome for comics (depends on the comic of course, I'm reading manga decently). The price is 199 dollar, more expensive than Sony and Kobo, but it has premium features which really enhance reading (the first of them avoiding the need to convert). It has an expandable memory too.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3sandm4n View Post
But now I see the Nook (wifi) is the same price also! Although, I'm not digging the bottom screen (unecessary) and also that now the Kindle has pdf support (and pan and zoom), but it is still $50 more...
I need to do some youtube review watching for this one...
I demoed the Nook - a nice eInk screen, but very big, surprisingly heavy and the bottom touch screen seemed to be more for flash than something useful (also, the book cover flow they advertise is only for B&N purchased books, not ones you add yourself) The Nook also plays MP3's and Vorbis files (I tested the latter as the salesperson had no idea what I was talking about) but there seems to be a bug in playback speed where is plays too slowly, at least to my ears.

As for the Kindle, the lack of Adobe EPUB support was a deal-breaker for me. I just got my Philly library card and am perusing their selection of ebooks to borrow for my SONY.

Calibre is a wonderful product and works well with the SONY - essentially, you don't need to install the SONY software at all and that's a good thing, AFAIC.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Th3sandm4n
Looking for an eReader

Thanks for the input.

I went to a Borders today to demo the sony pocket and the nook, but they didn't have the nook Also, no pdf files loaded onto it. But I did notice one thing, that 5" screen is tinier than I remember! This concerns me for the pdf scaling/zooming I forsee and the whole comic stuff.
But anything with an attractive screen (greater than 6") is way too expensive for my taste. And 5" for $199 seems a bit too much as well with the Pocketbook360

I don't think I can do the sony pocket when I can get a 6" screen in the Nook for the same price (and kindle for $40 more). And to my knowledge the kindle supports pdfs now? Price wise, I'm leaning toward the Nook (plus I'm an Android fanboy), but might have to shell out the extra $40 for the kindle since I believe there will be more updates to the firmware (hence even more pdf support) in the future.

Dammit I hate indecisions!!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #8
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Well, I'm very new to e-readers and the nook wifi (just bought it a week ago), but I did want to address two things you said about it since you're considering it.

First, the bottom screen may not be necessary, but now that I've gotten used to it after a week, I honestly don't think I'd ever want one that didn't have something like it. By far my favourite part, which I didn't even give a second thought to before I bought it, about that screen is the page "swipe" to turn pages without having to push buttons. I absolutely love that and didn't realise I would so much. And you may already know but it goes black while you're reading so it's not distracting. But to each their own - I know from reading around here that some nook owners don't care a thing about that bottom screen.

Also, you mentioned updates to firmware. I don't know much about firmware and updates, but what I have learned from reading around and other people's posts is that B&N has been furious in releasing updates expanding on its features since the nook has come out, and I think they only have more in store. But specifically about pdf stuff, I don't know.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:30 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want PDF, forget it. No eink device out there is good enough.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:49 PM   #10
1Bookworm
Enthusiast
1Bookworm doesn't litter1Bookworm doesn't litter

Device: blackberry, laptop, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Well, I'm very new to e-readers and the nook wifi (just bought it a week ago), but I did want to address two things you said about it since you're considering it.

First, the bottom screen may not be necessary, but now that I've gotten used to it after a week, I honestly don't think I'd ever want one that didn't have something like it. By far my favourite part, which I didn't even give a second thought to before I bought it, about that screen is the page "swipe" to turn pages without having to push buttons. I absolutely love that and didn't realise I would so much. And you may already know but it goes black while you're reading so it's not distracting. But to each their own - I know from reading around here that some nook owners don't care a thing about that bottom screen.

Also, you mentioned updates to firmware. I don't know much about firmware and updates, but what I have learned from reading around and other people's posts is that B&N has been furious in releasing updates expanding on its features since the nook has come out, and I think they only have more in store. But specifically about pdf stuff, I don't know.

Sun surfer - I have been reading the reviews for the nook and one thing that everyone mention was that the Nook was slower than the Kindle. Since you just brought a new Nook, what do you think of the speed for turning pages? Is it slow (ie is it annoying)?

Thank you
Berny
1Bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Hi Berny!

I personally don't mind the speed of page turning at all, but I'm not big on it being super-fast. It could be twice or three times as slow turning pages as it is and I'd still be fine.

But, you may be reading some old reviews. When I first researched I saw the same things. Apparently, if I'm remembering correctly, with its firmware updates the nook has increased its page-turning speed to now be almost exactly as fast as the Kindle.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:27 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bookworm View Post
Sun surfer - I have been reading the reviews for the nook and one thing that everyone mention was that the Nook was slower than the Kindle. Since you just brought a new Nook, what do you think of the speed for turning pages? Is it slow (ie is it annoying)?

Thank you
Berny

page turning was an issue upon it's initial release back in Nov. of '09 it has since gone through a series of Firmware upgrades, 4 so far, and one of the issue's addressed was the speed of page turning. That is now a long ago forgotten issue. It's speed is just as fast as the Kindle's and everyone else's.

I would say any review on the Nook prior to at the very least March '10 is a toss. Actually some Prof. reviewers have went back and reviewed the Nook again after the V.1.3 update and most have shot the Nook up to the head of the pack in terms of the best e readers.

here is one example, Cnet's. http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-reade...?tag=mncol;lst

the page turning is pretty darn fast on the Nook. I bought mine post v1.3 so I was good to go from the get go
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:53 AM   #13
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you want PDF, forget it. No eink device out there is good enough.
I agree totally - PDFs are not going to work. Forget PDF, especially with such a small reader. For that you might look at an iPad or similar.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
By far my favourite part, which I didn't even give a second thought to before I bought it, about that screen is the page "swipe" to turn pages without having to push buttons. I absolutely love that and didn't realise I would so much.
I agree totally. I have a Pocketbook 302, and I use the swipe function almost exclusively. I only use the side buttons if I am reading one handed. The swipe function is so natural.

The PB302 is also very fast on changing pages - I do not notice any flicker at all. Almost as fast as an LCD screen, I guess.
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:33 AM   #15
librus38
Enthusiast
librus38 began at the beginning.

Hello
I am currently waiting for the release of the new 9'' screen e-readers (like the Asus DR900 and the Copia Ocean 9); with their touch-screen, card slot and new e-ink display, they feel like the right choice to me. I want these e-reader to do just that. read at home and (specially ) out of home books (also scanned pdf books wit lotgs of images and over 30Mb each). I understand that I will have to wait some time to them, but I think it will be worth it.
I consider the iPad but it has several disadvantages (portability and battery time). I prefer to get a dedicated e-book reader and later buy a slate PC for all the other stuff (internet acess and specially my art works with Photoshop).
So for me, until the end of the year is the projected waiting time for the new e-book reader. Asus and Copia, please hurry up...
librus38 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, sony 300