Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 09:22 AM   #61
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
OI do support dictionaries, using something called DICT format (which, I must admit, I've never encountered before). The issue is, though, where would one buy decent dictionaries in such a format? One of the reasons I went with Mobi is that they have all the "big name" dictionaries - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc - available. I don't know if they are available in other formats, and I don't know if it would be either straightforward or legal to convert them from Mobi to DICT format.
True, all true. But that's a situation specific for you. English is not my native language as you must have already found out by now and the lack of good bilingual dictionaries in mobi format is a hard fact for me. I can't even expect there will be any available in the future as the ebook market is too tiny in my region and no publisher would venture on such an uncertain ground (basically the same goes for other ebooks too). So the only options I'm left with is to use some monolingual english dictionary (which i prefer not to, because it slows me down) or to make my own. I agree that OI might not suit you as well as it might suit me.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:25 AM   #62
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your English is excellent. You write it better than many "native speakers" of the language!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #63
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

*blush* thank you. Your's not all that bad either :P.

Just kidding. Must be off, getting way too rascally .
Nice chatting with you though.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:17 AM   #64
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
OI do support dictionaries, using something called DICT format (which, I must admit, I've never encountered before). The issue is, though, where would one buy decent dictionaries in such a format? One of the reasons I went with Mobi is that they have all the "big name" dictionaries - Oxford, Collins, Chambers, Websters, etc - available. I don't know if they are available in other formats, and I don't know if it would be either straightforward or legal to convert them from Mobi to DICT format.
There are more than 1000 different dictionaries available in StarDict format. Here is the project page: http://stardict.sourceforge.net/
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:32 AM   #65
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Tommy - that's very helpful.
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 01:01 PM   #66
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Hi Jelby,

Yes, I know there's the Webster's but someone said on a different thread that OI have no plans to support Mobi dictionaries because of the DRM issue. Apparently they support something called "DICT" format, which I know nothing about.

I don't know whether or not one can remove DRM from dictionaries - I have no reason to attempt to remove it from mine.
Of course one can remove DRM from dictionaries using the same tools that one can use to remove DRM from other books...there is no difference. I use the Chambers dictionary on my Cybook, too, and plan to use it on any other device I may switch to in the future.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #67
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

I just finished the thread on Txtr. If I was in Bookeen's shoes I would be at least concerned right now. There you have your competition.
Why can't bookeen developers chat with us here like that guy from Wizpac. I think it's important to be open towards your customers, to keep them tuned and informed about what's cooking. Instead they withdraw into obscurity posting one message on their blog every couple of months .

Last edited by Abelturd; 01-31-2009 at 05:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:36 AM   #68
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
Of course one can remove DRM from dictionaries using the same tools that one can use to remove DRM from other books...there is no difference. I use the Chambers dictionary on my Cybook, too, and plan to use it on any other device I may switch to in the future.
Have you tried doing so? The reason I was doubtful is that someone reported doing this, and the resulting "DRM-free" dictionary didn't work on their Kindle, even though the 1913 Webster's did.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:38 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I just finished the thread on Txtr. If I was in Bookeen's shoes I would be at least concerned right now. There you have your competition.
I honestly don't think that a device which supports only PDF and text files is a threat to anybody!
Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 AM   #70
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

Quote:
I honestly don't think that a device which supports only PDF and text files is a threat to anybody!
I'll remind you of that in a couple of months.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:55 AM   #71
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Feel free to do so. The Txtr isn't due to start shipping until the autumn. Realistically, that probably means early 2010 - these things are always late.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:43 AM   #72
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Have you tried doing so? The reason I was doubtful is that someone reported doing this, and the resulting "DRM-free" dictionary didn't work on their Kindle, even though the 1913 Webster's did.
I've removed the DRM from my two dictionaries (Chamber's 10th Unabridged and Harraps French-English) and they work fine on both my laptop and my Iliad. They took a hell of a long time to de-DRM though.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:57 AM   #73
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks Marc!
Old 02-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Expect nothing and you won't be disappointed when you get just that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:17 AM   #75
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier

If you expect nothing then that's exactly what you're gonna get.

Tags
cybook, firmware, upgrade