Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2017, 12:13 PM   #181
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
It's a book by Patricia Rice "Wicked Wyckerly" ASIN # B00V4AMXQO.
I installed K4PC 1.16 and used it to download the same book. It worked properly for me. The book was downloaded as a AZW3 file without DRM and I was able to import and convert it within calibre.

I am unable to replicate the problem and I don't know what else to try. Hopefully AnemicOak has provided the help you need for this specific book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #182
JanG
Groupie
JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.JanG got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Laptop; Kobo Clara
I've deleted the book from my Amazon account and will download it again perhaps it was just a fluke.

As to Kobo - how can I change my country if my credit card, billing address and phone number are all required information?

Edit: It downloaded as AZW this time. I wonder what happened the first time around. Ain't technology grand? NOT!

Thank you, everyone, for trying to help.

Last edited by JanG; 07-18-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Update
JanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2017, 08:02 PM   #183
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanG View Post
As to Kobo - how can I change my country if my credit card, billing address and phone number are all required information?
It's showing as free in Australia, which usually means it's free elsewhere.

To change the country, you need to change the address, which will clear the credit card details. Just make something up. From memory, it doesn't try hard to validate things. The area/zip code is usually the stumbling block. I have a suspicion that Kobo have a lot of customers living in the US zip code 90210.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 PM   #184
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What... You live in 90210 too?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #185
kuntzc
kuntzc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura H2O
Thanks so much jhowell. I used method #2 for PC and it worked perfectly. It was easy and quick - much appreciated!!
kuntzc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2017, 08:35 AM   #186
csnowdon
csnowdon began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire 7
Calibre 3.5

I reverted back to kindle for pc 1.17 per your February 2017 post and had success beating the KFX format.

Is Calibre 3.5 able to convert the KFX format now, or do I still need to operate K4PC 1.17.

I am new to all this so forgive me if I appear behind the curve.

Thanks for you assistance.
csnowdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:39 AM   #187
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
No change to calibre and KFX support.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #188
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
I just wanted to confirm that Method #2 works on Kindle for Mac. I needed to add sudo to the terminal command. My Kindle for Mac updated automatically a couple of weeks ago from 1.13! But now I can import into Calibre this way. All is well again.

Method #3 does not work for me. When I try it, I get what macOS identifies as a TextEdit document. Calibre cannot see it to open it. I did not try changing the extension, as Method #2 works fine for me.
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:55 PM   #189
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by downeaster59 View Post
I just wanted to confirm that Method #2 works on Kindle for Mac. I needed to add sudo to the terminal command. My Kindle for Mac updated automatically a couple of weeks ago from 1.13! But now I can import into Calibre this way. All is well again.

Method #3 does not work for me. When I try it, I get what macOS identifies as a TextEdit document. Calibre cannot see it to open it. I did not try changing the extension, as Method #2 works fine for me.
Since method #3 does not work for you, then you have an issue with your system that really should be fixed. There's not reason method #3 should not work.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #190
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Are you using Safari to download? If so, you're running into a Safari quirk. Downloading with Chrome or Firefox should get you an .azw file (or you can simply change the extension to .azw and it should work).
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:35 PM   #191
downeaster59
Wizard
downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.downeaster59 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini 6, Onyx Leaf 2, Onyx Tab Mini C, Nook Glowlight 4 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Are you using Safari to download? If so, you're running into a Safari quirk. Downloading with Chrome or Firefox should get you an .azw file (or you can simply change the extension to .azw and it should work).
Yep, it was a Safari quirk, as you said! I downloaded with Firefox, and there was no problem. It gave me an .azw3 file.

So, Method 3 can indeed work for me.

Safari has a number of "quirks"!
downeaster59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 11:12 PM   #192
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Yep, it was a Safari quirk, as you said! I downloaded with Firefox, and there was no problem. It gave me an .azw3 file.

So, Method 3 can indeed work for me.

Safari has a number of "quirks"!
What's even quirkier is that it doesn't happen all the time with Safari. In fact, Safari is my primary browser, and most books download just fine. But every so often, I get that weird file format.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:05 AM   #193
InAFlap
InAFlap began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo vibe P1
good news the workaround works, but will calibre eventually be able to cope with the new format? I imagine at some point in the future amazon may stop support for the older version of kindle for pc.

PS
I also heard that if you send it as a file rather than deliver to a device it comes in the old format
InAFlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:10 AM   #194
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by InAFlap View Post
good news the workaround works, but will calibre eventually be able to cope with the new format? I imagine at some point in the future amazon may stop support for the older version of kindle for pc.

PS
I also heard that if you send it as a file rather than deliver to a device it comes in the old format
It's a chicken and egg situation. As long as it's easy to get Kindle books in Mobi/KF8 format, there's no particular incentive for anyone to work on cracking the KFX format.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:15 AM   #195
InAFlap
InAFlap began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo vibe P1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a chicken and egg situation. As long as it's easy to get Kindle books in Mobi/KF8 format, there's no particular incentive for anyone to work on cracking the KFX format.
I dont really use amazon much, mainly for jack silkstone books, how would you go about getting the other format
InAFlap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc