Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #2776
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindler72 View Post
If i can provide some constructive VOC feedback here for you, as a normal non-technical customer if you like.

The instructions have embedded links to other threads. In these other threads it is then not clear which file should be used.
The instructions also use acronyms and file types that you are familiar with but Joe Public may not know - how about providing a glossary?
Links to files that no longer exist, could do with an update, a note to say, "The following files will have to be found else where due to legal reasons", and then kill the links.

Must be a nightmare to keep this stuff updated, so my hat goes off to you sir for sorting.

Cheers

K
Hi. How are you? It is so nice to meet you.
I see you mentioned a glossary. It might be a bit of a help. So when can we expect this glossary? You said it, so does this mean you are going to create one?
Thanks in advance.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #2777
tejasvi88
tejasvi88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic 8th Gen
Exclamation Links for factory_KT3_5.8.0_initial not working

Both of Primary or Secondary links for original firmware have expired.
tejasvi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 02:32 PM   #2778
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasvi88 View Post
Do a Google search. There are plenty out there.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #2779
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Just a data point for you. I finally updated my Voyage manually to 5.8.11 and the jailbreak did survive just fine.

~Reading my Kindle Voyage while waiting for a train that never comes.~
Waitingforatrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 05:29 PM   #2780
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waitingforatrain View Post
Just a data point for you. I finally updated my Voyage manually to 5.8.11 and the jailbreak did survive just fine.

~Reading my Kindle Voyage while waiting for a train that never comes.~
Thank you.
Advert
Old 10-19-2017, 05:53 PM   #2781
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasvi88 View Post
Now marked private.
Done intentionally.
See Cinisajoy's reply immediately below your own post.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 01:35 PM   #2782
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
Interesting: a user got new PW3 G090G105 with firmware 5.8.10.1 (3214560001).
Asked him to put factory 5.7.4 and look at menu Update (not to press).

Last edited by hius07; 10-25-2017 at 02:19 PM.
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:23 PM   #2783
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
Interesting: a user got new PW3 with firmware 5.8.10.1 (3214560001). Asked him for more info.
Interesting, since 5.8.11 has already been posted by Amazon.

Maybe it is something country or region specific.

or maybe they are "fixing" the problem with the VoiceView image.
Have your person try to install the VoiceView package:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...deId=202199580

Note:
That image is an "install by restarting" type of Amazon package, not an UYK type of package.

Why?
Because if that installs, then that firmware can be jail broken by this jail break.
Since the VV image and the "Factory" images use the same package type.

Note:
If that person does not want the large VV files on their PW3 - then a "Reset (to factory defaults)" will wipe them out.
That is: Do that if they are not wanted as part of getting ready to JB the device.

Last edited by knc1; 10-25-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #2784
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
I've edited my post, asked him to put factory 5.7.4 and look (not press) to menu Update.
This version is not mentioned in the Amazon source code list (same as 5.8.9.0.1).
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #2785
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
I've edited my post, asked him to put factory 5.7.4 and look (not press) to menu Update.
This version is not mentioned in the Amazon source code list (same as 5.8.9.0.1).
And I can't find it on the Amazon servers.

If that person can recover the deleted copy of that 5.8.9.0.1 install image from the USB storage, it would be nice.
It should not have been over-written yet, and some FAT-32 deleted file tools can find those.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #2786
kaiomm
kaiomm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3
I've bought a kindle KT3w that came with firmware version 5.8.9.0.1. I did all this and the jailbreak didn't work, is there some extra step for the special case of the 5.8.9.0.1?
kaiomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #2787
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiomm View Post
I've bought a kindle KT3w that came with firmware version 5.8.9.0.1. I did all this and the jailbreak didn't work, is there some extra step for the special case of the 5.8.9.0.1?
Just do steps either 4 or 5 through the last steps. Don't forget step 7.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:04 PM   #2788
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiomm View Post
No, you did not.
You skipped this part:
Quote:
There is a single, complex, special case for 5.8.9.0.1 firmware version. If you get a Kindle with that firmware version, please just post in this thread, your device **might** be one of the rare exceptions.
If you had done that, I could have given you specific instructions.

If you want those directions now, you have to write what you mean by: "didn't work".
Best that you describe each thing you did and what the result was (in more detail than: "didn't work").
Once you do that, I can probably figure out what state your device is in now and what you need to do.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:16 PM   #2789
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Page 1 states:

Quote:
Testing (touchscreen devices listed in title):

From the archive contents in the "Dummy" directory, move the file: Update_dummy_0.0.N.bin to the /mrpackages directory of your Kindle.
If you do not have a /mrpackages on the visible root of your kindle, you either have a damaged JB or the JB was never installed.
I don't have a /mrpackages directory. This is what I see on the PW2:

Quote:
Directory of E:\

26/10/17 02:19 AM <DIR> documents
23/10/17 01:02 AM <DIR> .active_content_sandbox
22/10/17 08:40 PM <DIR> update.bin.tmp.partial
23/10/17 02:33 AM <DIR> mkk
23/10/17 02:33 AM <DIR> rp
23/10/17 10:07 PM 284 driveinfo.calibre
23/10/17 10:08 PM 1,248,621 metadata.calibre
Has the jailbreak failed? I'm not sure if I should go ahead and complete step 7 and install 5.8.11. I am currently on 5.4.3 after following steps 1-4 then following the PW2 specific link.

Edit: Ah, I suspect it is because I have not yet installed the mobileread package installer, which I think is not included as one of the steps. So I need to reach step 8 before the folder would be created.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 10-27-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 AM   #2790
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
Page 1 states:

I don't have a /mrpackages directory. This is what I see on the PW2:

Has the jailbreak failed? I'm not sure if I should go ahead and complete step 7 and install 5.8.11. I am currently on 5.4.3 after following steps 1-4 then following the PW2 specific link.

Edit: Ah, I suspect it is because I have not yet installed the mobileread package installer, which I think is not included as one of the steps.
It is step #8.
If you haven't done step #7 I am betting you haven't done step #8 either.

The "test package" is for testing (what is thought to be) a completed procedure.
It is located where it is for people who think they have "lost" the jb after completing the process at some previous time.
And I may have over simplified the message description on that part.