Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 07:05 PM   #61
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I quite liked Nate's 'Vera'.

'Qui verra Vera l'aimera.'
hmm... i rather like that as well. Vera evoking both visual media (as in the future tense of the french voir, to see : verra) and also latin "truth" (not that that is necessarily pertinent to ALL texts...).

i know, i know, i'm an etymology geek.

alternately, i quite like the name "Xavier".
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:09 PM   #62
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
The personal electronic device for computing is called the "personal computer". The personal electronic device for playing mp3 files is an "mp3 player". I suggest that the personal electronic device for reading ebooks be called an "ebook reader", which will quickly conflate to "ereader", regardless of the current usage of that term.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 07:21 AM   #63
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Vera - I so declare it!
There the two lovers plunged into the ocean of those
enjoyments, languorous and perverse, in which the spirit is
merged with the mysteries of the flesh. They exhausted the
violence of desires, the tremors, the distraught longings of
their tenderness. They became each the very heart-beat of
the other. In them the spirit flowed so completely into the
body that their forms seemed to them to be instruments of
comprehension, and that the blazing links of their kisses
chained them together in a fusion of the ideal. A long-drawn
rapture! And suddenly — the spell was broken! The terrible
accident sundered them. Their arms had been entwined. What
shadow had seized from his arms his dead beloved? Dead?
No: is the soul of the violoncello snatched away in the cry of
its breaking string?

The hours passed.

Through the casement he watched the night advancing in
the heavens: and Night became personal to him — seeming
like a queen walking into exile, with melancholy on her
brow, while Venus, the diamond clasp of her mourning gown,
gleamed there above the trees, alone, lost in the depths of
azure.

"It is Vera," he thought.

At the name, spoken under his breath, he shivered like a
man awakening, and then, straightening himself, looked
round him.
I know Nate is rather fond of his Kindle - but really!

Last edited by vivaldirules; 02-26-2008 at 07:24 AM.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 AM   #64
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

have i mentioned that this is the best thread ever ? it really is.
Old 02-26-2008, 12:45 PM   #65
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hm. I assumed Nate was making a Firefly joke. It seems quite unlikely that all these other literary allusions (lovely though they are) were behind the name in that context. But perhaps I'm selling Nate short....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 01:13 PM   #66
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
No, you are correct; I was making a Firefly joke.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 01:55 PM   #67
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No, you are correct; I was making a Firefly joke.
hmm... could you explain the joke ? i don't understand (i know i know, it's not funny if you have to explain it... but still).

it still could be a good name ; just smile and go along with it when people start embroidering on it
Old 02-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #68
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's a reference to a line from the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds". Basic story:

The captain is surprised with a wife (right after the title sequence).

(Halfway through the show) Jayne Cobb offers to trade his favorite gun for the wife. (The gun's name is Vera.)

P.S. I don't have the DVDs at hand, so I can't quote that scene completely. But lines like that are why I love that series.
Old 02-26-2008, 03:53 PM   #69
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It's a reference to a line from the episode "Our Mrs. Reynolds". Basic story:

The captain is surprised with a wife (right after the title sequence).

(Halfway through the show) Jayne Cobb offers to trade his favorite gun for the wife. (The gun's name is Vera.)

P.S. I don't have the DVDs at hand, so I can't quote that scene completely. But lines like that are why I love that series.
Firefly - indeed! A likely story, Nate. Look, I know it's embarrasing to have your manhood at all compromised in public by letting it be known that you've read and enjoyed Vera by Villiers de L'Isle-Adam and secretly read other such works on your Kindle regularly. But let's be honest and own up to it, shall we? We're all grown ups here. Or at least you folks are!
Old 02-26-2008, 04:34 PM   #70
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Alright, I confess. I am secretly addicted to 19th century French literature.
Old 02-26-2008, 04:45 PM   #71
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Quote:
Alright, I confess. I am secretly addicted to 19th century French literature.
...and just to go even further off-topic, I'm immediately reminded of Groundhog Day with Bill Murray. "What a waste of time!... I mean, for anyone else... you must be very bold..."
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #72
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?

Vera! Vera!
What has become of you?
Does anybody else in here
Feel the way I do?

Comfortably numb,
Marc (none of which is any help at all)
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #73
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn?
Remember how she said that
We would meet again
Some sunny day?
She was definitely before my time but I remember the song well. The Wikipedia shows she's still alive (at 90) and recently active. "We'll Meet Again": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHcunREYzNY
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #74
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
@Zelda:

While this post does have French, and squid, am not so sure that it is the best thread ever.

Though, perhaps I am too much influenced by my notion of the perfect thread. We still lack Redheads, robots, and coffee smoothies delivered via an orphidet-eqsue connectionality.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 PM   #75
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
There has also been no pie. None whatsoever. Not even French silk, which--no insult to our illustrious Franco-brethren(gender inclusive)--is the lowest form of pie, merely once place above cake.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
birth of the cool, farking and lower farking, hugo and lefty, liseuse, ongoing saga, saga, screaming mad adrian, the birth of the cool, the goose, unutterable silliness, vera