Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #1
kintrupf
kintrupf began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro (Boyue T62)
Device shuts off with 70% battery

For a long while I noticed that my PRS-T1 had very little battery life. I could not really pinpoint it to a percentage, but the battery seemed to be empty after a hundered pages at most. I never noticed any bars missing in battery meter, but suddendly the device is out of power.

After rooting the device and installing another battery meter it displayed 70% when it powered off.

Weird, isn't it? Can I assume that the battery is "nearly dead" and should be replaced? The device is a bit over two years old.
kintrupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I would remove all books and then put only a few on, and see if that makes a difference.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintrupf View Post
For a long while I noticed that my PRS-T1 had very little battery life. I could not really pinpoint it to a percentage, but the battery seemed to be empty after a hundered pages at most. I never noticed any bars missing in battery meter, but suddendly the device is out of power.

After rooting the device and installing another battery meter it displayed 70% when it powered off.

Weird, isn't it? Can I assume that the battery is "nearly dead" and should be replaced? The device is a bit over two years old.
It's hard to pin it down to a certainty as Sony's software seems to be terrible at judging the battery accurately.
Ideally I'd tell you to completely drain the battery before recharging it from a mains charger and see if that helped but it's that hard to drain an ereader especially one turning itself off so early you may be better off just buying another reader.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:48 PM   #4
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
You are charging it overnight ? i.e. not just for squirts of power, but a good 8 hr or so charge ?
And from a wall charger, much more reliable than via PC .......

If that fails to correct it, it is more likely to be a dud battery for replacement, providing it's economic ....
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Arios
A curiosus lector!
Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Arios ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch
Did you tried to remove the hack and reinstall the latest firmware anew?

BTW 2 years, depending of the usage, can be sufficient to kill a battery.
Arios is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2013, 04:27 AM   #6
kintrupf
kintrupf began at the beginning.

Device: Energy Sistem eReader Pro (Boyue T62)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arios View Post
Did you tried to remove the hack and reinstall the latest firmware anew?
No, I didn't unroot my device.
The problem is unrelated to the firmware, I noticed the very short battery life before when I still had the original firmware.

So I guess I have to find me a new battery...
kintrupf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kintrupf View Post
No, I didn't unroot my device.
The problem is unrelated to the firmware, I noticed the very short battery life before when I still had the original firmware.

So I guess I have to find me a new battery...

From another thread:

I had a similar problem- my battery was fully discharging in a matter of hours. Here's how I fixed it:
Fully charged device with wall charger. Once charged did a reset- paperclip + power button.
Battery life back to normal now
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another thing to do is once the T1 is charged, remove the power cable and charge it again until you get it showing full in less then 1 minute. That will sync the battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:22 AM   #9
Nabuccoo
Nabuccoo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1
I have exactly the same with my T1. It is about 1 and a half year that I bought it. For a while the battery drains off very quickly. First I noticed that after 1 day it loses about 40-45% in sleep mode too. So after 2 days the battery was empty. I unrooted it, i thought there is some app that don't let the reader to go deep sleep mode. So after unrooting I updated the firmware to 1.05 and I rroted it again. Now I watched out the apps what I am installing. No widgets or auto sync etc. After 1 day the battery was on 95%, after 3 days it was still 85%, looked normal. Then, a half day later the reader shuted down itself. The battery was fully depleted. After charging, happened the same, 3 and a half day and a the battery is over. I recalibrated it with the battery calibration app. After that the battery was at 95% after 3 days too, and a half day more and it huted down again with empty battery.
After that I tried to drain the battery to 75-80% after chargeing, by useing wi-fi. In this way the battery lasts 8-9 days after shuts down again. And this behavior is regular. Every time, exactly the same. I don't know what can I do to fix it. Or can I do something?
Ohh I am useing usb to charge via pc, I don't have wall charger.
Now I am trying what JSWolf wrote. Maybe it will help...

Last edited by Nabuccoo; 05-27-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Nabuccoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #10
Nabuccoo

For everyone who interested. I have tryed JSWolf's hint. It was 5 days ago and the reader is still fine. The battery is on 85%. I will post how much it will last, too.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabuccoo View Post
For everyone who interested. I have tryed JSWolf's hint. It was 5 days ago and the reader is still fine. The battery is on 85%. I will post how much it will last, too.
I hope it works. I would like it know how it works out for you.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:47 AM   #12
Nabuccoo

Yes, it is definitely works. My T1 shuted off after 20 days. I just read books on it, no wifi or anything else. (It was hard to stop myself to use these stuffs, too. ) I read in this time the first three books of The Saga of Heechee by Fedrik Pohl. So trick that removing and pluging in again the charger after the T1 has fully charged is working perfectly for me.

Tags
battery life, battery replace