Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 04:19 AM   #121
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackx View Post
Can you check the version of the pdf-file. If the version is bigger then PDF 1.4 (Acrobat 5 compatible), Xournal can have problems with it. The file could also be protected which also causes some problems.
It's not protected, but it is 1.5. Is it easy to "downgrade" a PDF?

Quote:
The Merge creates a new PDF file by copying the original file and adding an extra section to it. When doing this on unprotected PDF1.4 documents, there usualy is no problem. However newer PDF formats and protected files can give problems.
Can the native reader display/edit this section? Can Xournal later edit this section?
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:21 AM   #122
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by friflaj View Post
It's not protected, but it is 1.5. Is it easy to "downgrade" a PDF?
I expect that most available pdf-tools should be able to save to 'Acrobat5'-format. Just try any of the free pdf-edit tools.

Quote:
Can the native reader display/edit this section? Can Xournal later edit this section?
Once merged into a PDF document every pdf viewer should show them, however you cannot edit the annotations anymore with xournal, since they now became part of the pdf document.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:33 PM   #123
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Cool, that takes care of the icon. I tried "Import Annotations", but it just gave me a solid black screen where previously the text was.
Oops, I noticed that I screwed up here... by accident I disabled rendering of the PDF when using Import Annotation (it should only be disabled when using Merge Annotation).

Sorry about this, I will soon create a patch for this and publish it.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #124
Mackx
Guru

This is the updated binary, unzip and copy it on your SD card to Programs\_xournal\bin to overwrite the old version of the executable.
It should fix the 'Black pages with Import Annotations'-problem.
Attached Files
File Type: zip xournal.zip (149.2 KB, 357 views)
Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #125
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Device: I'm an iRex man: 8x DR1000S, 4x DR800SG, 4x DR800S
Hi guys,
got me some new toys - including DR800SGs for all the family! - quickly updated firmware to v2.0rc3, then installed DR800+ v4 and a bunch of programs on top of it, and proceeded to do a thorough check of what I can['t] do with them compared to my DR1000Ss...

Edit: I was having a problem and I thought it was Xournal but it was simply a corrupt filesystem (shit happens). So far, so good with Xournal on my brand new DR800SGs.

Thank you again for this great port!

Last edited by MrWarper; 09-04-2012 at 01:21 PM.
MrWarper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:42 PM   #126
picco
picco began at the beginning.

Device: none
xournal for scientific papers annotation on DR800?

Hi all,

does anyone have positive/negative experiences in using xournal for annotating scientific papers? I use it a lot on my laptop/desktop (both linux) and I was considering a DR800 precisely because someone was kind and awesome enough to port it to this particular reader (thanks Mackx).
It would ease my life a lot..

In particular I would like to know if you can:
-zoom at arbitrary factors (I use it to zoom one column in two col papers)
-highlight
-annotate freehand
-annotate typing text

and if the whole thing is responsive enough to be useful (how long it takes to flip a page, scroll..)

all input is welcome, thanks!
picco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:28 AM   #127
MrWarper
Zealot
MrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it isMrWarper knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by picco View Post
-highlight
-annotate freehand
-annotate typing text

and if the whole thing is responsive enough to be useful (how long it takes to flip a page, scroll..)
You can certainly zoom at variable levels (I haven't checked the limits thought), and you can make annotations with both freehand and typed text. I don't know what you mean by 'highlight' (if it's changing the font face to bold or the like, it's not possible but you can type over it achieving the same effect).

Flipping a page is a bit slow (compared to the system viewer) because of how PDFs are rendered in the background in the Xournal port, and scroll is generally slow in all eInk devices due to the low screen refresh rate. Knowing that, responsiveness is OK for me.

All that said, two more warnings:
-I've crashed Xournal on the DR1000 a few times by opening and going trough PDFs with many annotations (~100 pages, >25 with annotations)
-I'm still playing with calibration, etc., but so far I find making annotations on a DR800 considerably more difficult/less accurate than on the DR1000, especially near the margins.
Of course, YMMV.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:06 PM   #128
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWarper View Post
-I've crashed Xournal on the DR1000 a few times by opening and going trough PDFs with many annotations (~100 pages, >25 with annotations)
Xournal is not very efficient with memory usage (it does not free the memory of the rendered pages once you have viewed them, until you quit xournal), that might explain the crashes...
I am not spending much time on xournal at this moment, but if you want to pick this up I am willing to give advise...
Old 09-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #129
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by picco View Post
-highlight
-annotate freehand
-annotate typing text

and if the whole thing is responsive enough to be useful (how long it takes to flip a page, scroll..)!
I am using my DR1000 to read and annotate (with the build-in viewer, not xournal) A4/B4-size magazines. On the DR1000 this is possible without zooming, so it works very well. I am not sure how easy it will be when you need to zoom and scroll (on a DR800).

Note that both the native viewer and xournal do not 'recognise' the text in a pdf, they just used a bitmap. So highlighting words or sentences can only be done with 'freehand annotation'. Xournal can also add text, but I have not used that a lot.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:52 PM   #130
MrWarper
Zealot

Quote:
Xournal is not very efficient with memory usage (it does not free the memory of the rendered pages once you have viewed them, until you quit xournal), that might explain the crashes...
Yes, it looks like that's probably it. However, it doesn't affect much my document work flow (see 'xournal annotations success story' or similarly entitled thread).
Quote:
I am not spending much time on xournal at this moment, but if you want to pick this up I am willing to give advise...
What do you mean by pick up?

I am not a heavy xournal user in 'interactive' mode, but while we're at it I'd love to see a couple command-line parameters added (or add them myself when I sit to get the development environment ready someday) to the program, and corresponding alternatives added to 'open with':
-merge: asks for an output PDF file name, and generates one that contains the input PDF plus the annotations (same as opening with '-import' then selecting 'merge' and exiting, but much quicker overall)
-mergeonly: same as above, but only pages that were annotated on the original PDF are written to output.
-deleteafter: automatically removes system annotations for a given PDF after merging operations.

Last edited by MrWarper; 09-15-2012 at 02:28 PM. Reason: Typo: It's 'open with', not 'add with'
Old 09-14-2012, 07:52 AM   #131
MrWarper
Zealot

Path bug in Xournal port

Hi,

I've finally stabilized my internal library distribution, and I keep a file tree that goes mostly like this in the card:
/<letter>/<family name(s) of author>, <first name of author>/<title>.<extension>

Note the coma separating the family and first names of each author.

My problem: Xournal kept complaining that it couldn't find the path and it directed me to <SD card>/<letter> whenever I tried to open a file via its app menu (File -> Open). Now I was perusing its config file, and I have found the following:

/media/mmcblk0p1/e/Enguídanos Usach. Pascual

Note that for whatever the reason, a dot (".") is stored there instead of a regular comma (","). No wonder it couldn't access that path again.

If this is how paths are reported to Xournal by the system, that's OK and I'll live with it; if it isn't so, I think we've found a little bug...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:15 AM   #132
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
My problem: Xournal kept complaining that it couldn't find the path and it directed me to <SD card>/<letter> whenever I tried to open a file via its app menu (File -> Open). Now I was perusing its config file, and I have found the following:

/media/mmcblk0p1/e/Enguídanos Usach. Pascual

Note that for whatever the reason, a dot (".") is stored there instead of a regular comma (","). No wonder it couldn't access that path again.

If this is how paths are reported to Xournal by the system, that's OK and I'll live with it; if it isn't so, I think we've found a little bug...
Hi MrWarper,

I am trying to reproduce the problem that you see, but I did not yet succeed. I created a directory 'first, last' and added a file in it. I then used File->Import Annotations to open the pdf document. This succeeded succesfully. Can you give some more details on how to reproduce the problem?
I also have a question on the path that you found in the config-file. Where in the file was it?

Thx Marcel
Old 09-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #133
MrWarper
Zealot

More details, yes, I think I wasn't extremely clear...

Once you open a file located inside <...>/<first>, <last>, go to the application menu Options -> Save preferences (I have auto-save preferences set to OFF), and exit Xournal. <blah blah>/<first>, <last> should be in your config file now. (At least that method works here, and I suspect that's how I first bumped into this.)

If you start Xournal again via a shortcut (without invoking it on a file), and you go to the app menu File -> Import, Xournal will try and show the contents of that directory in the file open dialogue. If it has replaced the comma with a dot (as it does here) it will show you a message error (correct - it is trying to access a non-existent directory) and list its parent directory contents instead.

Edit: This path ended up in line 38 of the config file, 'default path' under '[general]'

--trim, trim...--
[general]
# the display resolution, in pixels per inch
--snip, snip..--
# default path for open/save (leave blank for current directory)
default_path=/media/mmcblk0p1/e/Enguídanos Usach. Pascual
# use pressure sensitivity to control pen stroke width (true/false)
--cut, cut...--

Hope this helps,

Last edited by MrWarper; 09-15-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:57 PM   #134
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Hope this helps,
Yes, I could immediately reproduce the problem.

Xournal is using g_key_file to store its config-settings. When there is a ',' in a value it should be escaped (see here). Xournal currently does not do this.
It should not be that difficult to fix, but I have to see what the status is of my xournal archive (I have been playing with some potential extension (more than a year ago...))
Old 09-22-2012, 07:36 AM   #135
Mackx
Guru

Quote:
Path bug in Xournal port
Hi MrWarper,

I added a patch (0.8b) to the first message in this thread, can you give it a try?

Best Regards,
Marcel.

Tags
xournal