Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #106
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Switchblades. Illegal, but it doesn't seem the heroine would be concerned about that.
I wasn't talking a switchblade. Or maybe I was. They are sold at Walmart and Academy and Amazon. I will have to look in hubby’s back pocket and see which knife it is.

Oh and they are not illegal in all places. Depends on the length of the blade.
Now it is illegal in some places to carry a butterfly knife.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #107
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I wasn't talking a switchblade. Or maybe I was. They are sold at Walmart and Academy and Amazon. I will have to look in hubby’s back pocket and see which knife it is.

Oh and they are not illegal in all places. Depends on the length of the blade.
Now it is illegal in some places to carry a butterfly knife.
I didn't mean you were talking about a switchblade, I just meant to point out that they are one-handed, quick-opening knives. I was actually thinking of the scene in the movie Twelve Angry Men, where the Jack Klugman character shows the other jurors how one works, and of the rumble in West Side Story.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:26 PM   #108
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I didn't mean you were talking about a switchblade, I just meant to point out that they are one-handed, quick-opening knives. I was actually thinking of the scene in the movie Twelve Angry Men, where the Jack Klugman character shows the other jurors how one works, and of the rumble in West Side Story.
My personal knife is a small Gerber. Though it is not one handable.
We were thinking two different things but with the same mindset. Quick open knife.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:54 PM   #109
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
My personal knife is a small Gerber. Though it is not one handable.
We were thinking two different things but with the same mindset. Quick open knife.
Swiss Army knife for me!
Old 01-12-2018, 03:58 PM   #110
Ratio
Ratio began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
One of your better covers but not fond of the background color. It obscures her cape and your name.
I agree. A different background color would be better. I am thinking more yellow like the old cover.
Old 01-12-2018, 11:36 PM   #111
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
That's great, Cin! Only thing is I'll be doing the series for all kinds of animals that they'll be rescuing.

I really don't know that I need it. But I could probably come up with something. International Women's Society. "Society" doesn't work but whatever.
Even better.
Use that and explain the the original Dog Rescue project got waaay out of control (and they had a lot of stationary already printed, so they kept the name)
Old 01-12-2018, 11:38 PM   #112
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Thanks double. Hmm. I don't know. I like it but I don't think black with fly with most people. I'm going to play with it though.
Black is BOLD
Old 01-13-2018, 10:25 AM   #113
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I think I read somewhere that RED translates into anger.

And that people who buy RED cars are full of anger!

FULL OF ANGER!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #114
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think I read somewhere that RED translates into anger.

And that people who buy RED cars are full of anger!

FULL OF ANGER!!!!!!

I heard people that buy RED cars want arrested.
The color is arrest me red.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:52 PM   #115
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Black enough?

Old 01-14-2018, 12:39 AM   #116
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Black enough?

I love that cover. It fits so much better.
Old 01-14-2018, 02:01 AM   #117
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Yes, reflects the contents much better. Now if you want to hint at the wacky humour, why don't you project the silhouette of a doggie against the moon, Batman-style?
Old 01-14-2018, 03:19 AM   #118
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Yes, reflects the contents much better. Now if you want to hint at the wacky humour, why don't you project the silhouette of a doggie against the moon, Batman-style?
OMG...this is terrible, becuz, I love that idea! lol!! You could use a silhouette of Rin-Tin-Tin. Hilarious.

Hitch
Old 01-14-2018, 03:23 AM   #119
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I like the new cover (though it looks VERY much like many of the YA fantasy stuff), but I'm not convinced it's a good fit (even to my revised understanding the content), and I suspect you need a new title. Given what we now see is the "action" rather "comic" styling of the work, I think the whole blurb/title/cover concept needs to be reworked together (you can't change one so dramatically without changing the others).
Old 01-14-2018, 03:59 AM   #120
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I like the new cover (though it looks VERY much like many of the YA fantasy stuff), but I'm not convinced it's a good fit (even to my revised understanding the content), and I suspect you need a new title. Given what we now see is the "action" rather "comic" styling of the work, I think the whole blurb/title/cover concept needs to be reworked together (you can't change one so dramatically without changing the others).
Mmmmmmmmm...I don't know. The extract we all read was pretty damned dark, and, truthfully, not so funny. I don't know if the whole book is like that, or not. I mean, I didn't miss the silly references to her training at a finishing school versus being whatever she was (special forces, spy, whatever), but overall it's dark-ish.

I still think that the fonts need a bit of work--not as much as before, maybe. Despite Gregg's diffidence, I'd STILL try Adventure for that title. If I did that, I'd then probably use a plain serif or even a sans, for the byline.

Gregg, if I were you, I think I'd ask my writing group for THEIR take on the book. Presumably, they've heard all or most of it, for critique sessions, right? So, they'll have a better take on the reality of it. You clearly thought it was "wacky comedy" when we started this thread, and now, I'm not sure what it is, and this new cover seems to scream "Dark YA Fantasy!," which it isn't.

Try what we call The Miller Test (h/t Ron Miller): Change the text of the title and byline to some other language. Doesn't matter what--but it needs to be something that isn't easily read. Then ask yourself--if I cannot read the title, byline or tagline, can I tell what genre this book is? Or, ask anyone in your writing/critique group that isn't familiar with the book or its set-up.

When I view this newer cover, I can't tell what genre that is. It could be mystery, sci-fi, YA Fantasy; Paranormal Romance, Paranormal Urban Fantasy, and so on. THAT isn't good. (Freely admit--a "batsignal" might change that entirely. Still love that idea. Might be too busy for the cover, but still, LURVE that idea.)

Can you think of any books that are LIKE what you're writing? Authors that write like you, or vice-versa? I don't mean the same plot, of course, but...for example, do you think that you're like Elmore Leonard? Carl Hiaasen? Spider Robinson? (If anyone else here is old enough to remember his Callahan's series...) Or...??? Perhaps winnowing your options down that way, and viewing THEIR covers, might help you envision a way to convey genre and prospective audience in the visuals.

See what I mean?

Hitch
Closed Thread