Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-07-2014, 01:49 PM   #1
Gruvarbetaren
Gruvarbetaren began at the beginning.

Device: none
It it easy to jailbreak Paperwhite 2?

If I were to get a Kindle Paperwhite 2, would it be easy to jailbreak it and install KOReader?
Gruvarbetaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:09 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruvarbetaren View Post
If I were to get a Kindle Paperwhite 2, would it be easy to jailbreak it and install KOReader?
As they are currently shippng - yes it would be.

You will have to downgrade your firmware (directions in JB thread link) ;
Jailbreak it ;
Let it re-update ;
then install what you wish.

Note: There is no guarantee that it will remain that easy forever.
Amazon could issue a new firmware version that "fixes" the "Downgrade Attack" above at anytime.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 02:28 PM   #3
Gruvarbetaren

The description in KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v 2.4) looks pretty complicated:
Quote:
SO TO RECAP:
(1) JAILBREAK,
(2) MKK,
(3) PLACE THE CORRECT KINDLET IN THE KINDLES documents FOLDER
(folder you put books in)
I guess it would be easier to go with a Kobo which doesn't need jailbreaking AFAIK. But I dunno, it would be nice to have access to Amazon's book store.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
The KUAL thread is seventy billion times too verbose. You can slim it down to: JB, reboot, put file in folder, enjoy.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The description in KUAL: Kindle Unified Application Launcher (v 2.4) looks pretty complicated:
- - - -
Steps 1 & 2 have been combined.

Have you browsed the Kobo forum here?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=247

That doesn't look any simpler to me.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
xyan043
xyan043 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 2
Smile

Quote:

I guess it would be easier to go with a Kobo which doesn't need jailbreaking AFAIK. But I dunno, it would be nice to have access to Amazon's book store.
Hi Gruvarbetaren, it is not hard at all. I knew nothing about Kindle literally when I tried NiLuJe's instructions. It is really well-written and trouble-free. Just take one step at a time and I got it running in 5 minutes.

Thanks NiLuJe once again for all the tutorials and screenshots!
xyan043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Gruvarbetaren

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyan043 View Post
Hi Gruvarbetaren, it is not hard at all. I knew nothing about Kindle literally when I tried NiLuJe's instructions. It is really well-written and trouble-free. Just take one step at a time and I got it running in 5 minutes.

Thanks NiLuJe once again for all the tutorials and screenshots!
Okey, thanks. Maybe it is just the presentation with colors, spoilers, font weights, strange acronyms, etc, that is a bit off-putting and discouraging.
Old 11-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Gruvarbetaren: Yup, I'm well aware of the shortcomings of the current KUAL first post. It's done that way for historical reasons, which we've chopped at bit by bit, so it could really use a clean rewrite. (Or basically just forget about it, and JB, reboot, and just drop the azw2 file ).
Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Gruvarbetaren

Maybe I'm stupid, but what would I need to do to jailbreak it? In Font, ScreenSaver & USBNetwork Hacks for Kindle 2.x, 3.x & 4.x are some instructions on how to install a .bin file on the device, but are those instructions outdated? Do the files in Snapshots of NiLuJe's hacks contain the complete source code of the jailbreaks?

And after installing the jailbreak, am I supposed to install Mobileread Kindlet Kit (MKK), then Kindle Unified Application Launcher (KUAL) and finally KOReader?
Old 11-07-2014, 05:14 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Gruvarbetaren: First thread you linked to is, as the title implies, not aimed at your device, forget about it.

You shouldn't need to use the snapshots right now, so let's forget about that one too for the sake of argument.

As the MKK thread now mentions, you also don't need that anymore for your device.

Which means that, yep, you can jump straight to 'drop KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2' somewhere in documents/, and then unpack KOReader at the USB root. Luanch KUAL, there should be a KOReader button, boom.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #11
Gruvarbetaren

Ok, I guess I got confused by the following text in the top of the KUAL thread:
Quote:
BEFORE YOU CAN USE THE KINDLET: You MUST have installed MKK.
Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus K5/PW USBNetwork., is that the relevant jailbreak?

What is the purpose of KUAL? Just to launch third-party applications?
Old 11-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Gruvarbetaren: Yup. I also use it as a king of setup/config panel for my stuff.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok, I guess I got confused by the following text in the top of the KUAL thread:

Kindle Touch/PaperWhite 5.0.x - 5.4.4.2 JailBreak. Plus K5/PW USBNetwork., is that the relevant jailbreak?

What is the purpose of KUAL? Just to launch third-party applications?
Yup - your trying to make sense of the elephant by only looking at one toenail at a time.

KUAL is designed to run on all devices, except the K1.

That **IS** the relevant jailbreak, and upon reading about it, you will see that it **INCLUDES** MKK (for the **topic devices**, not for the earlier devices).

KUAL (pronounced Cool) :: Kindle Universal Application Launcher.

Just install it. You really do want it.

And we want you to have it, rather than write up descriptions of how you should do things manually for which KUAL provides a menu button.

You mentioned you where undecided about buying a Kindle or a Kobo - -
I assume you have neither right now.

Why don't you decide what you want, and come back when there is a point to spending this much time.
I.E: Become a Kindle owner and we will provide whatever help is needed.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:18 AM   #14
Gruvarbetaren

I wouldn't get a Kindle if I weren't able to read EPUBs on it. Better to find out before a purchase rather than later.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:45 AM   #15
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Just follow tutorial from other thread and it will be very easy.
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote