Notices

Old 05-25-2017, 03:03 AM   #1
kitkat2712
kitkat2712 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3G version
Paperwhite battery drains in a day

Hi all,

New here.

I have a Paperwhite 2 (wifi + 3G - SN B0D5) that I've now had and loved for a few years. Recently, I found that the battery goes from full to 0 in less than a day. Charged overnight, it's gone to empty by bedtime without having read a single page.

I've already forced a restart (although it basically does that when the battery goes to empty), I've done a factory reset and I've even installed a new battery. That battery was installed yesterday, charged and the kindle showed empty this morning.

I have read that battery drain might be cause by some indexing error, however, that should have been taken care of with the factory reset, which pretty much wiped everything (no non-cloud books, only needed to re-download, nbd).

I am usually connected to the home wifi and have always been and have had weeks of power before recently.

Short of trying another new battery and buying a new device, I'm hoping for other ideas. Is there an error log that can be assessed? I've connected the device to my linux mint computer but can't find any log files (I also have a Windows 10 machine if there is software for that.)

Thanks, Kat
kitkat2712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 05:02 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It sounds like you need a new battery.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2017, 05:22 AM   #3
kitkat2712

I already exchanged the battery, no real improvement.

Any other ideas?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:29 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Wrong forum, the technical people hang out in the Kindle Developer's Forum.

Have you checked the simple things?
Keep it in airplane mode after you charge the battery, see if that makes a difference?
Noticed what firmware version the device is now running vs what it was running before?

Yes, there are log files. Try the dev. forum where such things are known and discussed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Are there any files stuck indexing?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2017, 06:07 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Are there any files stuck indexing?
Yes, this is by far the most common cause of a high battery drain.

To check, go to the home screen and type in a search string of random characters (so you don't get any genuine matches). If the "Text in Books" result tab is enabled, select it, and see if it says something like "XXX items not yet indexed". If it does say that, tap on that line and it'll show you what the items are that aren't indexed.

The best way to avoid this is to add books in small numbers (eg 20 or so at a time) and wait for each batch to finish indexing before adding the next batch. Indexing goes much faster when the Kindle is connected to a wall charger.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #7
kitkat2712

Sorry for only checking in back now. I had turned on email notifications for this thread but these went to my junk folder...

I had already looked for indexing error. Nothing was stuck there, after the factory reset, I only had loaded a handful of books that I have queued for later reading but not my back library. Flight mode helped a little but not a lot, battery would do to low still fairly quickly.

I've ended up pulling the logs through ;dm and what was suspicious was the very high number of network entries. When the new battery took forever to load, the kindle had become pretty warm on the back. However, after disassembling it again, I found that didn't come from the battery but the 3G module, which apparently had been running amok behind the wifi connection. After removing that module, the new battery is running fine. A replacement 3G module is already en route.

Considering how flight mode increased battery life but not massively, I have a feeling that both battery and 3G module were faulty.

If this should go to the developers forum, maybe a mod can move this thread?
Old 05-28-2017, 04:21 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat2712 View Post
- - - - -
Considering how flight mode increased battery life but not massively, I have a feeling that both battery and 3G module were faulty.

If this should go to the developers forum, maybe a mod can move this thread?
A double failure is very uncommon, but they can happen.

But you don't have to presume a double failure here.

Just blame the 3G module for the "early" failure of the first battery.
(True, you still would have to replace both, but not require that the battery fail of its own accord.)

Keep in mind, even when operating normally, the 3G module pulls about 4x the battery's rating when it transmits.

Translation: Amazon includes the smallest storage capacity battery that can withstand the peak current surge demand of the 3G module.
I posted a lot of details on this subject right after I first joined here (5 years ago).
Those posts can still be accessed if anyone is curious (MR uses accessible archives).

Last edited by knc1; 05-28-2017 at 04:26 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote