Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #631
sammayor
Enthusiast
sammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trollssammayor doesn't feed trolls

Device: KPW3
Indian language books which were launched last year only supports kfx format. This books are not available for older devices. In 'About the Kindle edition' section in webpage Amazon lists supported devices.
sammayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:44 AM   #632
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
From looking at the latest Kindle Previewer release (3.14) it appears that Arabic language support will be the next big feature coming to KFX. I do not know whether or not these books are already supported in the Amazon ecosystem. If not then they may also be KFX-only.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #633
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
From looking at the latest Kindle Previewer release (3.14) it appears that Arabic language support will be the next big feature coming to KFX. I do not know whether or not these books are already supported in the Amazon ecosystem. If not then they may also be KFX-only.
KF8 certainly supports Arabic.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:09 PM   #634
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
The cases I have seen are with books that use EPUB features that are not supported by the MOBI and KF8 renderers. Rather than update those renderers to support those features Amazon is instead restricting books with those features to be KFX only.
What features would that be that ePub supports that KF8 does not that would cause the eBook to be KFX only? Given that Amazon can do KFX only if the eBook doesn't support features of KF8, can't Amazon do this for KF8 and forgo Mobi when the eBook uses features of KF8 that Mobi doesn't support?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 12:15 PM   #635
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
... I have noticed that books published with the new Kindle Create program are normally delivered in KFX but fall back to MOBI on devices/apps that do not support it. A KF8 version of those books is unavailable so some formatting may be lost if KFX is avoided ...
Am I understanding correctly that Kindle Create is basically aimed at self-published authors with limited technical skills?

I imagine big publishers and technically adept smaller publishers and self-publishers will continue to create EPUB as source material instead of trying to go directly from a Word Doc to Kindlebook.

Or am I deluding myself and there is reason to believe KF8 is being phased out, forcing people to purchase a KFX-capable device or accept MOBI?
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 02:04 PM   #636
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What features would that be that ePub supports that KF8 does not that would cause the eBook to be KFX only?
For some reason the Indic language books are KFX-only. I do not know what it is about those books that prevents them from being made available in KF8/MOBI. It seems that they do not want to support any new capabilities in the older formats.

One possibility is dictionary support. As of now those languages do not have Kindle dictionaries. I have seen indications that dictionaries in KFX format are coming soon with features that are unavailable in the existing MOBI-based dictionaries. Perhaps those books are KFX-only because their dictionaries require features that will only be supported in KFX.

Quote:
Given that Amazon can do KFX only if the eBook doesn't support features of KF8, can't Amazon do this for KF8 and forgo Mobi when the eBook uses features of KF8 that Mobi doesn't support?
Amazon does not appear to have any interest in phasing out MOBI, in fact as I mentioned previously, books produced using the new Kindle Create tool are available in either KFX or MOBI, but not KF8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
Am I understanding correctly that Kindle Create is basically aimed at self-published authors with limited technical skills?
Yes, it converts Word documents to KFX for publishing.

Quote:
Or am I deluding myself and there is reason to believe KF8 is being phased out, forcing people to purchase a KFX-capable device or accept MOBI?
I doubt that they are phasing out KF8. I suspect that it was just easier for them to implement MOBI as a fallback for devices that do not support KFX than to produce both MOBI and KF8. MOBI is a safe fallback since every Kindle app/device supports it.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-21-2017 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #637
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I doubt that they are phasing out KF8. I suspect that it was just easier for them to implement MOBI as a fallback for devices that do not support KFX than to produce both MOBI and KF8. MOBI is a safe fallback since every Kindle app/device supports it.
But what happens when someone wants to use a feature in KF8 that you can't do with Mobi? How does that work?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:46 PM   #638
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
But what happens when someone wants to use a feature in KF8 that you can't do with Mobi? How does that work?
Kindle Create is all about converting Word documents to ebook novels using simple, consistent formatting. It has templates for romance, sci-fi and such. I doubt Amazon will be overly concerned if the formatting doesn’t look quite right in MOBI format as long as the book is readable.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:02 PM   #639
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Kindle Create is all about converting Word documents to ebook novels using simple, consistent formatting. It has templates for romance, sci-fi and such. I doubt Amazon will be overly concerned if the formatting doesn’t look quite right in MOBI format as long as the book is readable.
But I find that too many eBook are doing stupid things instead of doing them properly because of Mobi. For example, using graphics for extended characters instead of embedding a font. One eBook I saw recently had a few Russian strings that could have been rendered with an embedded font. Also, instead of a simple table, we get a graphic. These sorts of things are a throwback to Mob. If Mobi was gone or eBooks allowed to be made that did not have a Mobi version, then features that make eBooks better and give the reader a better reading experience could be made. This nonsense even effects ePub because ePub is used as the source in most cases.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:31 AM   #640
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
... I doubt that they are phasing out KF8. I suspect that it was just easier for them to implement MOBI as a fallback for devices that do not support KFX than to produce both MOBI and KF8. MOBI is a safe fallback since every Kindle app/device supports it.
Thanks for this reassurance.

I don't suppose there's a way to tell if a book was created by Kindle Create prior to purchasing? :/
Old 09-22-2017, 07:39 AM   #641
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I don't suppose there's a way to tell if a book was created by Kindle Create prior to purchasing? :/
No way that I know of.

EDIT: Actually, there is a way, based on Jon's next post, but it is not very practical.

You can request that a free sample of the book be delivered to one of your devices. Then you would need to remove the encryption from the KFX file and decode its metadata. If the file_creator field is set to "KC" then the book was produced using Kindle Create.

Last edited by jhowell; 09-22-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM   #642
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
You could try looking at the contents of the KFX and see if you can find any text strings that would tell you. But then you could be looking at a lot of KFX to try to find such. And with DRM, I doubt those KFX would show you anything.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:21 AM   #643
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
You could try looking at the contents of the KFX...
I revised my post above to reflect this approach.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:03 PM   #644
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Thanks for this reassurance.

@odamizu:

Out of curiosity, really--may I ask why? We don't use it, and naturally, I cheerfully support ANY idea that professionally-crafted books are BEST, but, what's your thinking? If I may ask?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 11:59 PM   #645
odamizu
just an egg

Quote:
... You can request that a free sample of the book be delivered to one of your devices. Then you would need to remove the encryption from the KFX file and decode its metadata. If the file_creator field is set to "KC" then the book was produced using Kindle Create.
Oy. Just, oy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Out of curiosity, really--may I ask why? We don't use it, and naturally, I cheerfully support ANY idea that professionally-crafted books are BEST, but, what's your thinking? If I may ask?
Because I want KF8, and if there's an easy way to tell if a book was created with Kindle Create, which will leave me with KFX and MOBI, I won't buy it from Amazon and will go to Kobo for an epub, instead.