Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-03-2008, 07:54 AM   #16
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbusybookworm View Post
I just hope that airlines and crew just treat readers with a bit of common sense, as P-book replacements, and not general electronic devices. But that will probably require much more general knowledge of e-ink and higher penetration of readers.
I guess one could devise a "book casing", i.e. a paper book, with a hole cut in its pages where you can hide the eBook reader, so that it seems you are reading a paper book instead of an electronic one. It would also work as a protective case.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:34 AM   #17
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I guess one could devise a "book casing", i.e. a paper book, with a hole cut in its pages where you can hide the eBook reader, so that it seems you are reading a paper book instead of an electronic one. It would also work as a protective case.
Oh, right now, you can probably get away with the usual cover most of the time. And most Flight attendants will probably not give problems.

What I'm hoping that official policy would be sensible (I know, i know, expecting policy to make common sense )
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #18
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
To save money, the air within the plane is not turned over very quickly, resulting in a higher carbon dioxide level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I'm sorry what? I never heard of this. How do you think that will save money?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
According to:
http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cabinair/index.html
the air comes from the jet engines, so has to be cooled rather than warmed.
I just repeat what I have heard.

If you'll search Google with "airplane air quality", you'll find a lot of information about the fact that commercial airliners recycle the air as opposed to bringing in fresh air -- and the reason given is cost/fuel savings.

I found this on the Boeing site:
Quote:
Pressurized air for the cabin comes from the compressor stages in the aircraft's jet engines. Moving through the compressor, the outside air gets very hot as it becomes pressurized. The portion drawn off for the passenger cabin is first cooled by heat exchangers in the engine struts and then, after flowing through ducting in the wing, is further cooled by the main air conditioning units.

The cooled air then flows to a chamber where it is mixed with an approximately equal amount of highly filtered air from the passenger cabin. The combined outside and filtered air is ducted to the cabin and distributed through overhead outlets.

Every unit of pressurized air extracted from the engine core has the effect of reducing fan thrust by an even greater amount, and that degrades fuel efficiency more severely on this type of engine than on the older type. By providing the cabin with a mixture of about 50 percent outside air taken from the compressor and 50 percent recirculated air, a balance has been achieved that maintains a high level of cabin air quality, good fuel efficiency and less impact to our environment.
There are some experts who contend that the percentage of fresh, outside air is less than the 50% quoted in this document. And, it costs money/fuel to cool the compressed outside air.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
That is actually exactly what Mythbusters found - that only old cell phones could cause interference.
However even new ones can play havoc with cell towers on the ground. This is why, in the US, the FCC doesn't want cell-phones used during a flight. Cell-Towers were not designed to accept cell-phones from airplanes at 500+ mph that can reach many many towers at the same time.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:03 PM   #20
hmls
Enthusiast
hmls began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
However even new ones can play havoc with cell towers on the ground. This is why, in the US, the FCC doesn't want cell-phones used during a flight. Cell-Towers were not designed to accept cell-phones from airplanes at 500+ mph that can reach many many towers at the same time.

Dale
Interesting. Personally, I'm just fine with the cell phone rule. It is bad enough that I have to listen to people yacking on them just about everywhere I go, I certainly don't want to be trapped in a metal tube next to some guy on his cell phone for hours at a time.
hmls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-03-2008, 04:38 PM   #21
stxopher
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmls View Post
Interesting. Personally, I'm just fine with the cell phone rule. It is bad enough that I have to listen to people yacking on them just about everywhere I go, I certainly don't want to be trapped in a metal tube next to some guy on his cell phone for hours at a time.
Really? Personally, I enjoy them. Of course I always assume that since they are talking so loudly right next to me that means I'm automatically involved in the conversation and so feel obligated to hold up my end of the conversation whether the person on the phone can hear me clearly or not.

"Excuse me! I'm having a conversation here!"
"And if you weren't so dull it would make my part in it easier. Let's get back to the subject of her affair. Ask her how much he makes."
Old 07-03-2008, 04:47 PM   #22
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxopher View Post
Really? Personally, I enjoy them. Of course I always assume that since they are talking so loudly right next to me that means I'm automatically involved in the conversation and so feel obligated to hold up my end of the conversation whether the person on the phone can hear me clearly or not.

"Excuse me! I'm having a conversation here!"
"And if you weren't so dull it would make my part in it easier. Let's get back to the subject of her affair. Ask her how much he makes."
excellent !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 11:19 PM   #23
bearlee
bearlee began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
What I have done is to get a US$3 "Bank Notes Collection Album", removed the internal plastic sheets (where you insert the previous bank notes), and put velcro to hold the cybook onto the internal cover.

Viola, I have got a cheap and effective Cybook case that is light and the hard cover protect the Cybook well. And I go on reading and reading....
bearlee is offline   Reply With Quote