Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
New and upcoming Kindle features

Amazon posted some information about the new features in the recent 5.13.7 firmware and some other changes that will be coming later this year.

Quote:
Your reading experience, reimagined
Enjoy a new, intuitive, and easier Kindle reading experience with our latest software update that will be rolling out over the coming weeks to Kindle (8th Gen and above), Kindle Paperwhite (7th Gen and above) and Kindle Oasis devices.
I notice that the Voyage is not mentioned here.

Quote:
An easier and more intuitive way to navigate on your device (coming in the next few weeks)
Now you can adjust your device brightness, turn on Airplane Mode, and get to All Settings with a simple swipe down from the top of your screen.

Easily switch between Home and Library, or your current book using the new bottom navigation.
These features are in 5.13.7.

Quote:
An improved Home and Library experience (coming later this year)
When in your Library, enjoy new filter and sort menus, a new collections view, and an interactive scroll bar.

On Home, access more (up to 20) of your recently read books with a left swipe.
These will be coming after 5.13.7. It sounds like they are making the Kindle user interface closer to that of the iOS and Android apps.

Quote:
Always getting better
These new experiences are in addition to Kindle reading updates we have made over the past year, including:

Faster - From clicking download to opening a book, start reading faster than before.
Display - display the cover of the book you’re reading on your lockscreen (Without-Ads devices only).
These were features released prior to 5.13.7.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Oh joy. More swiping.

I really, really hate swiping. Seems like I may never update my Oasis from now on.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2021, 02:19 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Oh joy. More swiping.

I really, really hate swiping. Seems like I may never update my Oasis from now on.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know.
I have lots of practice not updating. What I'm dreading is my readers giving up the ghost and having to get replacements. Maybe the PineNote will be usable by then.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 03:52 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I have lots of practice not updating. What I'm dreading is my readers giving up the ghost and having to get replacements. Maybe the PineNote will be usable by then.
I guess I'll just stick to Kobo then. Hopefully they continue to improve their ereaders. Unless Amazon releases something really tempting, hardware-wise. In that case I may give Kindle another try.
Old 09-11-2021, 04:06 PM   #5
Badcatalex
I draw.
Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Badcatalex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1, K4B, KPW3, KOA3, KF7 (2019)
Smile

Closeups of the photos at "An improved Home and Library experience (coming later this year)"
NGL, I like it. Especially the return of page progress meters on list view. Nice to see Amazon finally caring about Kindle again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot1kindle.png
Views:	434
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	189204   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2kindle.png
Views:	401
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	189205   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot3kindle.png
Views:	363
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	189206  
Badcatalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2021, 04:35 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Covers in list view? Ugh!
Old 09-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcatalex View Post
Closeups of the photos at "An improved Home and Library experience (coming later this year)"
NGL, I like it. Especially the return of page progress meters on list view. Nice to see Amazon finally caring about Kindle again.
Quote:
Covers in list view? Ugh!
It looks very similar to the Kindle for iOS app. I prefer the new look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle-and-iOS.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	189207  
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:52 PM   #8
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon posted some information about the new features in the recent 5.13.7 firmware and some other changes that will be coming later this year.

I notice that the Voyage is not mentioned here.
That's a relief. If that's true than I have no kindles that will go beyond 5.13.6 (as my 7th generation Paperwhite updates have been "frozen" at 5.9.7). I would like to continue to use my Voyage's WiFi features, however.

The article lost me when it mentioned... "The first update will introduce smartphone-like navigation ..."
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 10:54 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'll convert more books to be read on my PocketBook HD3.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:24 AM   #10
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'll convert more books to be read on my PocketBook HD3.
Is it true that there is no boldness adjustment on Pocketbooks, like there is on Kindles, Kobos and even Nooks? That has been the main reason I haven't been interested in them (I read it somewhere in the Pocketbook forum).
Old 09-12-2021, 02:57 PM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Is it true that there is no boldness adjustment on Pocketbooks, like there is on Kindles, Kobos and even Nooks? That has been the main reason I haven't been interested in them (I read it somewhere in the Pocketbook forum).
I have the app, and on that there is not a bold option
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:26 PM   #12
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
So both cover and list view will scroll (presumably collections as well).

Note that you do not have to swipe, as there are are scroll up/down buttons you can tap (something I have wanted for awhile). Hopefully, on Oasis, these will be hooked up to the page buttons (but I would not hold my breath).

To the extent there are other scrolling views (search results, XRay etc) it would be nice if they added the scroll buttons there as well (and wired them up to page turn buttons if the Kindle has them).

Scrolling with swipe has always been a bit finicky: tends to open things if finger lingers over something at beginning or end of swipe. So +1 for adding buttons to do this.

Unfortunately List with thumbnails now shows only 4 things, unless there is some option to show without thumbnails and show more items. Not a show stopper for me, as I have recently converted to using cover view. If they offer a ‘naked’ list view that would be good.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-12-2021 at 04:55 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:10 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Yes, it's true. But, fortunately, it allows you to install fonts and Constantia is nice and bold without having to be made darker. With the Nook, when I haven't embedded Constantia, I use Georgia with the "thicker" setting. But Constantia is actually a little darker even without having the option to use "thicker."
Old 09-16-2021, 03:06 AM   #14
junioryoudare
junioryoudare began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Last gen
they try to use more scrolling and hand gestures but current e-ink screens on kindles are not smooth with swiping and other hand gestures. I am not sure if it is software base but it seems more like due to the nature of screens.
junioryoudare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:38 AM   #15
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by junioryoudare View Post
they try to use more scrolling and hand gestures but current e-ink screens on kindles are not smooth with swiping and other hand gestures. I am not sure if it is software base but it seems more like due to the nature of screens.
I'm pretty sure it is the screens. Scrolling is a miserable experience on e-ink.