Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #31
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Certainly faster and certainly better contrast than a DX. But hardly likely much better contrast than the DXG unless the light is on.
As far as I am aware, the DXG used an eInk Pearl display so the Carta display used in the InkPad Lite should have a definite advantage in the contrast ratio.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:09 AM   #32
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
As far as I am aware, the DXG used an eInk Pearl display so the Carta display used in the InkPad Lite should have a definite advantage in the contrast ratio.
The light guide worsens the contrast, so that the Carta advantage disappears again.
It only gets better with the lights on.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 08-07-2021 at 04:11 AM.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2021, 04:19 AM   #33
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
The light guide worsens the contrast, so that the Carta advantage disappears again.
It only gets better with the lights on.
I meant with the lights on. With the same decent ambient light the PW3 and no front light has not much better contrast than the DXG because the light guide and the capacitive touch both reduce the brightness. Though those probably have little effect on actual contrast as the blacks also will be darker.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #34
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Bugger screen? BS! It's 9.7" which is smaller then 10.3". That is really stupid to say it has a bigger screen.
Exactly. They don't seem to know how to use comparatives.

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 08-07-2021 at 07:27 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:27 AM   #35
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This is a downscaled little brother to the Inkpad X. So the screen size comparison should be to the Inkpad X and not other Pocketbooks. Besides, the description says nothing about other Pocketbooks with smaller screens.
We disagree about many things, but I sure as hell agree with you on this.

I'm tired of the way some companies pussy-foot* around the facts as if walking through a field full of recently deposited cow-patties.

"Just gimme some truth!"

* move stealthily or warily.
"they make a great show of pussyfooting through the greenery"
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2021, 09:16 AM   #36
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
We disagree about many things, but I sure as hell agree with you on this.

I'm tired of the way some companies pussy-foot* around the facts as if walking through a field full of recently deposited cow-patties.

"Just gimme some truth!"

* move stealthily or warily.
"they make a great show of pussyfooting through the greenery"
It's an ereader with a big screen for those who don't want to pay the high price for the Inkpad X. It's probably aimed at people who just want to read using an "easy-eye" (i.e. big) font. PocketBook already has models with the latest and greatest displays, as well as models with cheaper displays for those on a budget. This would fall into the latter category. They are up front with the specs and price, so I don't understand some of the outrage here.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 09:55 AM   #37
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
It's an ereader with a big screen for those who don't want to pay the high price for the Inkpad X. It's probably aimed at people who just want to read using an "easy-eye" (i.e. big) font. PocketBook already has models with the latest and greatest displays, as well as models with cheaper displays for those on a budget. This would fall into the latter category. They are up front with the specs and price, so I don't understand some of the outrage here.
If this was really cheap you'd have a point. But $300 can also get you an original Remarkable with a 10.3" display with a much higher 227ppi. Admittedly it's a bit shit at ePubs but good at PDFs and will also do handwritten notes. The Likebook P10 is also 10", has a 200ppi display and can be found in the $300-$350 range. Saving a few bucks for a significantly worse screen is a bad tradeoff. If this was $200 I could see some value.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 12:46 PM   #38
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or same number of pixels as 10.3", but 300 dpi at about €250 for 7.8" Likebook Mars which auto crops PDFs.

The €220 approx 7" 300 dpi Kobo Libra is better than the Kindle DXG 9.7", which is same resolution screen as this, for PDFs. A 150 dpi is crazy low resolution.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:45 PM   #39
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Or same number of pixels as 10.3", but 300 dpi at about €250 for 7.8" Likebook Mars which auto crops PDFs.

The €220 approx 7" 300 dpi Kobo Libra is better than the Kindle DXG 9.7", which is same resolution screen as this, for PDFs. A 150 dpi is crazy low resolution.
I used this announcement as an opportunity to buy a Likebook P10 for € 247 (almost the same price).
In addition, it fits exactly into the side compartment of my Windows tablet bag (Likebook Alita is a bit too wide for that).
Old 08-07-2021, 11:07 PM   #40
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Exactly. They don't seem to know how to use comparatives.
I still don't see why you or JSWolf make the leap to thinking they're comparing this eReader to the Inkpad X model. I read the blurb and thought they were comparing this "bigger" screen to eReaders that had "smaller" screens, like their Inkpad 3, 3 Pro and all their 6" readers (not to mention their competitors screens that are smaller). I don't think they're trying to deceive anyone. Why would they want to sell this reader at the expense of their more expensive Inkpad X?

That said, the specs for this reader are underwhelming and I'm not interested in a bigger reader anyhow.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 11:14 PM   #41
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
I'm having a little trouble understanding that as well. I don't understand the point of this reader but it's not like they're hiding anything about it. I also don't quite understand why they put in a nice lighting system for a reader that seems so out of date. But it was their decision. Maybe the $300 price will drop after release.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 01:45 AM   #42
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
because the light guide and the capacitive touch both reduce the brightness. Though those probably have little effect on actual contrast as the blacks also will be darker.
No, the brightness is not reduced, but the (missing outside) light is scattered - thus also the dark areas are brightened - the contrast is reduced.
No energy is lost, only a minimal fraction is converted into thermal energy.