Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 10:49 AM   #16
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
You're kidding, tar?

Without Google Play Services you can't simply go to the app store to get your favorite Android apps. I'd like FBReader, GoldenDict, Listen Audiobook Player, Anki, Echohacks and many more, some of which require Google Play Services. With just two posts here, it's almost like I suspect you've made an astroturf account.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #17
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Maybe he pirates all his apps, so he does not need play store.

Unless hisense comes with quality own brand alternatives ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Members are reminded to discuss things politely and without name calling.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: none
A5Pro CC - Google Services

@Hisense:

Could you PLEASE do things right this time and offer your new product A5Pro CC

a) on the international market
b) with an international firmware version
c) which allows the use of Google Services

PLEASE decide to make your customers happy this time!

Last edited by Philju; 04-25-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 02:24 PM   #20
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
Actually, as a customer of Hisense, I must say that I am already quite happy with their A5 phone.

Could they make me happier? Undoubtedly. The forthcoming products look like definite improvements to me, but maybe not quite enough to part with any money for the time being.

I have learned to live quite comfortably without the Google Play Store on my A5.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2020, 02:56 PM   #21
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philju View Post
@Hisense:

Could you PLEASE do things right this time and offer your new product A5Pro CC

a) on the international market
b) with an international firmware version
c) which allows the use of Google Services

PLEASE decide to make your customers happy this time![/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
All very polite n all, but What makes you think anyone from HiSense is going to read this
Old 04-25-2020, 11:26 AM   #22
Philju
Enthusiast
Philju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverPhilju exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

A5Pro CC - Google Services

@stumped:

perhaps your are right. Therefore I sent the following email today to the president of Hisense:

Dear Mr. Hongxin,

first I wish to compliment you on bringing the first color e ink smartphone ever to market.

Like many other potential customers in the western world, I am desperately waiting for a color e ink smartphone for many years now. I wish to use it on outdoor activities combined with GPS navigation als well as an ebook reader. Since the A5 Pro CC is intended to be my one and only smartphone perspectively, it is crucial for me to have all the services of a conventional smartphone available.

Therefore I would kindly ask you to offer your product not only on the Chinese market, but also to the western world. Please provide an international firmware version. Furthermore please allow the use of Google services which are crucial for western customers.

Equipped with these features, your new product will surely become a worldwide success story.

Best regards,

Last edited by Philju; 04-25-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Philju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:39 AM   #23
stumped
Wizard

Please let us know if you get a reply
Old 04-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #24
Tar
Tar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watchTar is clearly one to watch

It is funny how a malignant business practice in monopolysing the Android ecosystem (among many others) with exclusivity is protected by its own victims who are not able to use Android devices without Google's services blessings.

But then, we also have so many Apple fans, so maybe this should not be surprising - it must be in our human nature, the instinct to hide under and protect the power that is, and the comforts and stability that it provides irregardless of any other factors.

I am sure even if the letter to president of Hisense somehow got through his private assistants, it would only cause the president to feel the same as I do about the letter: Pity.

Anyhow I am sure Hisense analysts had done the calculations and will accordingly decide whether to market their new phones in the west in broader ways.

Back to the topic, I was wondering:
Quote:
UNISOC T610 chipset which combines two 1.8 GHz Arm Cortex-A75 and six 1.8 GHz Arm Cortex-A55 processors with a Mali G52 MP2 GPU.
Does anyone have a guess at how these eight cores compare to the CPU of the original A5? In terms of processing power and energy efficience in particular.
T610 is a new chipset, but the ARM Cortex A75 and A55 cores are not. It should be possible to determine the expected performance of the CPU even before the benchmarks, to a degree.
Although I am much more curious about the frontlight changes! I hope we get a hands-on video soon.

Also super funny, using the same browser and configuration with which I posted in this forum before, I was now unable to do so as the Google verification wouldn't load. Had to switch browsers to post this.

Javascript and everything is enabled to it is very strange, especially consider I already posted before through that browser.

IT'S ALIVE
Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #25
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar View Post
It is funny how a malignant business practice in monopolysing the Android ecosystem (among many others) with exclusivity is protected by its own victims who are not able to use Android devices without Google's services blessings.
If the unique alternative is a chinese state controlled ecosystem... I would doubt which one to choose.
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 12:11 PM   #26
Question Mark
Wizard
Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Question Mark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: More than I need, but not as many as I would like.
All the new Hisense phones are now available for pre-order at the Cect Shop.

https://www.cect-shop.com/en/search?q=hisense

But I expect you will need to be patient. I imagine that there will be a huge demand for these phones in China and it may be a while until the Cect Shop is able to obtain any devices. At least that was the case when the A5 first came out. However, the Cect Shop did deliver just as soon as they had merchandise and I wouldn't hesitate to order from them again.
Question Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:08 PM   #27
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
If the unique alternative is a chinese state controlled ecosystem... I would doubt which one to choose.
The real problem IMHO is that there actually is no choice at all. The very limited amount of options we are presented with are not allowing us to *not* choose either. While i welcome that my A5 does not contain anything Google, i dislike that i can't decide about it myself and that i have to depend on the manufacturer's decisions. I'd much prefer to also get rid of most of the chinese preinstalled stuff.

Do i really own a device if i can't install or remove stuff as i please? In my not so humble opinion this is the typical Android trap nobody appears to be aware of. The only way to circumvent this to some degree is to root the device, but for the majority of users this is simply out of reach, especially if none of the more technically capable device owners haven't found and publically provided an easy procedure to accomplish it.

And while we are at it: There are sufficient app store alternatives to not depend on anything preinstalled. For a start, there is always F-Droid and the Aurora Store that is easily available via the former. I am very happy with this for my humble needs. Apparently the majority of users only knows about and thus prefers Google's offers, implicitly consenting to hand over more control over their device and digital activity than mere app installations would actually require.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 01:22 AM   #28
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by orebmur View Post

And while we are at it: There are sufficient app store alternatives to not depend on anything preinstalled. For a start, there is always F-Droid and the Aurora Store that is easily available via the former. I am very happy with this for my humble needs. Apparently the majority of users only knows about and thus prefers Google's offers, implicitly consenting to hand over more control over their device and digital activity than mere app installations would actually require.
I have F-Droid in my reader, but, is it reliable? I mean: it may have a lot of malware, spyware, etc.

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3S mediante Tapatalk
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #29
orebmur
Veteran Linux user
orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orebmur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue Likebook Note & Mimas, Hisense A5, hopefully soon a PineNote
Quote:
Originally Posted by viceant View Post
I have F-Droid in my reader, but, is it reliable? I mean: it may have a lot of malware, spyware, etc.
Unlike opaque Google Play, F-Droid provides libre software with full source code disclosure and has a good reputation since years. Of course, normal Android consumers are unable to distinguish and mostly don't care about such very relevant details.

I'd rather not trust big brother Google (or its chinese equivalent). But this is a discussion not belonging here.
orebmur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #30
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Plenty of malware has been shared on Playstore and via Google Adverts.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote