Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Hello World like tutorial for Kobo?

Hi,

I was thinking about starting a hobby development project to run it on my Kobo Forma.

I started by setting up the development environment for KoReader which now runs perfectly. But unfortunately this is very much tailored to KoReader and not to anything else.

Is there a good tutorial to start an application from scratch - like basically starting with a Hello world program and maybe some user interface stuff?
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW & PW2; Kobo H2O, Forma & Elipsa
Depends on what exactly you want to do (specifically: UI/input or not, Qt or DIY, and, if DIY, how much and in which language(s)), and how .

See the couple recent (-ish) threads about similar questions for more details:

Random, "this is the least old I could quickly find" entry: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=340822

IIRC, there were also a couple of threads around that by @NiMa, @OrangeWindies & @OfficerAction

And, obviously @pgaskin & @sherman's stuff .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 09-15-2021 at 12:35 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2021, 08:28 AM   #3
Mr. Nietzsche
Mr. Nietzsche began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thanks! The thread pointed me to the koxtoolchain and was really helpful. Just ran the first cross compiled "Hello World" on my Forma.

The project I was thinking about will need an UI. And since I always was looking for a reason to learn C++ I guess I will use that. I want it too look kinda native-ish. Most of ppl seem to use Qt. So is that the way to go?
Mr. Nietzsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #4
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Aura, Touch N905C/B, Mini, Glo, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nietzsche View Post
Thanks! The thread pointed me to the koxtoolchain and was really helpful. Just ran the first cross compiled "Hello World" on my Forma.

The project I was thinking about will need an UI. And since I always was looking for a reason to learn C++ I guess I will use that. I want it too look kinda native-ish. Most of ppl seem to use Qt. So is that the way to go?
Probably. Here's a example if you wonder what it could look like: https://youtu.be/KaBj7acHRHk
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote