Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-17-2021, 09:03 PM   #76
salamanderjuice
Evangelist
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
About a month ago I bought the 7 Chronicles of Narnia books in one eBook for $4.99. There are thousands of "out of print" eBooks available for free. There a thousands of eBooks for sale cheaply that would have never been reprinted on paper because it would have too expensive for a limited market. And, in opposition to the article, a lot of the books I've bought cheaply are non-fiction written in the late 1800s or early 1900s. These simply would not have been available at a cost I could afford if not for eReaders.
Not out of print. Out of copyright. There are thousands of out of print books that are completely unavailable as ebooks too. In my country the Chronicles of Narnia are already public domain and are available free online since C.S Lewis died 50+ years ago.

My rant was about the big publishers mainly and was also about the quality of what you get. Not just the price! I don't feel that the ebook should have glaring typos or other issues that don't exist in the paper copy when I'm paying the same or more.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:37 AM   #77
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
Not out of print. Out of copyright. There are thousands of out of print books that are completely unavailable as ebooks too. In my country the Chronicles of Narnia are already public domain and are available free online since C.S Lewis died 50+ years ago.
In the U.S. the Chronicles of Narnia are still under copyright. I realize there are a lot of books that aren't available, but I've got over a hundred that are available. And I got them the out of print (and out of copyright) books from Amazon for 99¢ or $1.99 or $2.99. I figure the small cost is well worth it for me as I don't have to create a decent copy for myself. And, no they're not always perfect, but from certain publishers they're pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
My rant was about the big publishers mainly and was also about the quality of what you get. Not just the price! I don't feel that the ebook should have glaring typos or other issues that don't exist in the paper copy when I'm paying the same or more.
I agree with you there. If the eBook is from a major publisher and they're charging full price for it, it should be well edited and well formatted. There's really no excuse for it to be slip-shod production in that case.

Last edited by rcentros; 09-18-2021 at 04:08 AM. Reason: left out "for it"
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:38 AM   #78
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I agree with you there. If the eBook is from a major publisher and they're charging full price for it, it should be well edited and well formatted. There's really no excuse for it to be slip-shod production in that case.
The problem is that most eBooks are shoddily made and that includes the full price ones from major publishers. But some of the worst ones I've seen are self-published on Amazon or from a small publisher.

Why do they use programs such a Vellum or Pages or other awful programs to make eBooks?

And then there is the formatting that's not good even if the code is not too bad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 06:17 AM   #79
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Well THAT was fairly predictable.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:19 PM   #80
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why can't people just stop at "I prefer physical books"?
Because that wouldn't make much of an Atlantic article
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 12:27 PM   #81
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Because that wouldn't make much of an Atlantic article
To be fair, it wasn't much an article as written, either.
Old 09-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #82
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that most eBooks are shoddily made and that includes the full price ones from major publishers. But some of the worst ones I've seen are self-published on Amazon or from a small publisher.

Why do they use programs such a Vellum or Pages or other awful programs to make eBooks?

And then there is the formatting that's not good even if the code is not too bad.
To be honest, I haven't seen a really badly formatted ebook from a major publisher or an indie publisher in years.

Now I did buy a self-published ebook a couple of weeks ago that is a mess. The text was monotype, looked like typewritten pages, no table of contents.

But on the other hand, it's a reprint of a long out of print book from 1983. One of those ones where Amazon lists the paperback at $269.07. So I'm happy the ebook exists.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:36 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone SE 2020, PW3
Quote:
To be honest, I haven't seen a really badly formatted ebook from a major publisher or an indie publisher in years.

Now I did buy a self-published ebook a couple of weeks ago that is a mess. The text was monotype, looked like typewritten pages, no table of contents.

But on the other hand, it's a reprint of a long out of print book from 1983. One of those ones where Amazon lists the paperback at $269.07. So I'm happy the ebook exists.
Are you sure that the eBook copy you purchased it legit?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 01:49 PM   #84
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Take your detective cap off, Jon.
Old 09-18-2021, 01:54 PM   #85
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Nor have I. Similarly, I have to disagree with this:

Quote:
I'm happy Gutenberg exists, but the files are a mess.
There was a time when this was true for some Gutenberg books, but it’s also been years since I downloaded a Gutenberg book that wasn’t just fine.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 04:10 PM   #86
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Are you sure that the eBook copy you purchased it legit?
Yes
Old 09-18-2021, 11:40 PM   #87
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I don't think ebooks can be beat for convenience when reading a novel. You don't have to worry about the book closing on you. You don't require the physical space that paper books take. I will admit that I enjoy looking at my paper books on the shelf. Most I have re-aquired in ebook form, but I still have the paper copies because I like looking at them. Weird, huh? I can't explain it. On a recent trip where I was on an airplane for 8 hours flight time each way, my ereader was invaluable. Try being crammed into a crowded plane trying to read a paper book (two hands to hold it open usually, and a bit of a pain to handle around the highly spill-able plastic cups they give you with your pretzels). Another bonus for ebooks is the speed with which you can get them. Near instantaneous ordering one over the internet. Rarely do I need to get a book this fast, but sometimes I want instant gratification and don't want to wait a day or two for Amazon to get it here. And for library books, the convenience of download over driving to the library is great.

But for technical books, textbooks, cookbooks, etc. a paper book can't be beat. I don't care what anybody else says, but PDF's on a Kindle just plain suck. Better on a tablet, if it's a larger tablet, but still not as good as their paper equivalent.

I like both kinds of book, for different purposes. Since I read more novels than technical books these days, I use an ereader much more frequently than a paper book. For a frequently used technical book - I'm thinking something like "The C Programming Language" from back in my work days - I can find the required spot in the book in a heartbeat just by fanning through the pages noting page layouts that I recognize. I could find the same spot in an ebook using the search feature or scrolling, but that would be much slower. Even finding the spot with an ebookmark would be slower than what I can do with a paper book that I know well.

So it's a YES to both book types from me. You choose the type based on what's best for your current need.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote