Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 08-21-2023, 06:18 AM   #1
Azraelo
Azraelo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Question Search for unicode character (ranges)

Hello,

i've got an epub with multiple weird unicode characters and wanted to use a regex to get rid of it in the epub editor.

Example of text in the epub:
𝒷.𝓬𝑶𝐦

According to my research these character should represent the following unicode characters:
\u1D4B7
\u002E
\u1D4EC
\u1D476
\u1D426

But no matter what I try, the search function never matches those characters.
I've opened a text file within the epub editor, put "\u1D4B7" into the search part and changed the modus to "Regex".
When searching, nothing is found.
If I search for "[\u1D400-\u1D4FF]", then all normal characters are listed as match (a-zA-Z).

What is the logic behind this?

My intention was, to search for something like this:"[\u1D400-\u1D4FF\u002E]{4,20}" and replace it with nothing.
Can you please give me a hint, how to accomplish this?

Regards
Azraelo
Azraelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 07:22 AM   #2
Sarmat89
Evangelist
Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sarmat89 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Try \U instead.
Sarmat89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 09:43 AM   #3
Azraelo

If i try "\U1D4B7", then I get the error message:
calibre, version 6.21.0
FEHLER: Ungültige RegEx: <p>Der reguläre Ausdruck, den Sie eingegeben haben, ist ungültig: <pre>\U1D4B7</pre> mit Fehler: incomplete escape \U1D4B7 at position 2

So this doesn't really help
Old 08-21-2023, 02:37 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Did you try escaping the \? i.e. \\U1D4B7 since most regex implementations use the backslash as a special character. Though I'm not sure if calibre allows use of that format for a Unicode character.

Alternatively, just copy/paste the bscr ( �� ) into the search box. Interesting while I can see the character while entering the message, it does not show when I post the message and if I quote the OP's message it still doesn't show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azraelo View Post
��.������

Last edited by DNSB; 08-21-2023 at 02:43 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 04:59 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

��.������
Hmm...
Your browser is being strange?
Copy & paste ��.������
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2023, 05:01 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

𝒷.𝓬𝑶𝐦
Hmm...
Browser is being strange?
Old 08-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

If I just quote it's OK

If I copy and paste it makes entire post bad?
𝒷.𝓬𝑶𝐦

OK in preview
Old 08-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Baffling!
��.������
��.������
Old 08-21-2023, 05:05 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Baffling!
𝒷.𝓬𝑶𝐦
𝒷.𝓬𝑶𝐦

This time "Go Advanced"
Old 08-21-2023, 05:06 PM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

So it's messed up unless you "Go Advanced" to see preview.

A site bug.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:28 PM   #11
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
It is strange how searching for "Mathematical Script Small B" \u1D4B7 won't work.

But \u00A0 for a No Break Space will work.

(Calibre Win10)
Karellen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 05:41 PM   #12
Azraelo

Unfortunately searching for "\\U1D4B7" didn't provide any results.
I have created this ebook from a website which randomly adds its domain into the text and relaces the characters with similar looking unicode characters. This is also done randomly, so the combination is never the same.
So just copying those characters directly for searching won't work for for more than one occurence.

Due to this I want to use the unicode range to catch those strange unicode characters using regex to remove them all at once.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:50 PM   #13
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Spelling Check?
Old 08-21-2023, 06:23 PM   #14
Azraelo

Nice idea, didn't think of this yet.
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of combinations of the url and the spelling check doesn't seem to provide a batch edit function for similar words.
If I wanted to use the editor, I would still have to hundreds of entries manually.
Old 08-21-2023, 06:54 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Nice idea, didn't think of this yet.
Unfortunately, there are hundreds of combinations of the url and the spelling check doesn't seem to provide a batch edit function for similar words.
If I wanted to use the editor, I would still have to hundreds of entries manually.
Try the Sigil epub editor, IIRC it uses a different regex engine (but I could be wrong), failing that try using a text editor like Notepad++ (Win) or TextMate (Mac) via Calibre's (or Sigil's) Open with feature.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote