Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 05-10-2016, 02:59 AM   #16
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon4Fun View Post
I shall go through those steps and post back but not today. Going to actually 'read' for a while.
That's always a good idea.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #17
Jon4Fun
Jon4Fun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Search results from suggestions below

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Just to check, the problem is the "Charis SIL Modified" and "Charis SIL SmCp Modified" fonts appearing in the font dialog? If so, there is something wrong with how they are displayed. The names aren't displayed as the font. That suggests that the names are still in a list somewhere, but the font files are no longer there. What happens if you select one of those fonts and press OK? Or "Add font" or whatever it is to embed the font.

Do the fonts appear if you open a font selection dialog in another application? If they do, that suggests Windows is the culprit. If they don't, it points more to calibre.

I think the thing to do is scan the registry for these name and search through all the files in the calibre config directory as well. Another thing to do is to run calibre in debug mode and see if there are any errors when the font selection is opened.
---------------------------------------------------
Hi,
OK!!! I did as you suggested.
First thing was a conversion of an eBook, selected at random. I remove ANY font during conversion and chose one the the 3 options of Charis Sil listed in the conversion options.
I got no errors during any of the conversions (was not in debug mode) and when I looked in the fonts folder (via Sigil) it showed the name of the font I had selected at time of conversion.
However, Charis Sil is very distinct and it was immediately obvious that the font being shown was (probably) Times New Roman or at the very least some other font.
However, when I chose the new Charis Sil Compact font that I had installed it was immediately apparent that it worked. It embedded in the eBook and when I looked at it, via Sigil, the font folder showed the correct font and the eBook looked correct.

Second thing was a registry search (search word charis) and I immediately came across an entry that showed the OLD entries. I saved the registry entry and deleted the keys I did not want.
Location was HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Panose.

I then exited the registry (don't really trust windows) and started search again with same search word charis.
Found ONLY entries for single font Charis Sil ComPact in expected folder of Fonts for HKCU/..../Fonts and HKLM/..../Fonts
I have included one of the registry results so you can see the 4 options of the font, i.e. R, B, I, BI.
See attached picture.

After I had removed the entry from the registry, just to be clear, I then tried to choose a different version of Charis Sil font than was listed in Control Panel-Fonts.
I chose MS Word as the easiest option and it only gave me the single option, i.e.Charis Sil Compact.
See attached picture.

Finally, (which should have been my first search), I did a search for charis in the Calibre config folder. I found them!!! That is I found the old fonts that were listed in Calibre. They were in this folder C:\Users\Jon\AppData\Roaming\calibre\tmp\fonts.
NB: The tmp folder would not show up except from a search. I did not create it, obviously.
I thought, eureka.. sorted.. but, alas, this was not the case .

I deleted the items from the tmp folder and opened Calibre. The fonts still were in the list as options .

I am now going to reboot, while I post this, and see if they are gone from Calibre after that.

I think that is everything at this point.

Wish me luck if you have managed to keep reading to this point...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Charis SIL Compact - ONLY- registry search results.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	148589   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charis SIL Compact - ONLY in MS WORD.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	148590   Click image for larger version

Name:	Charis SIL fonts - found in tmp folder.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	148591  
Jon4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #18
Jon4Fun

Debug Log file in relation to converting with the Charis Sil Fonts

Hi,
I don't know if anyone is reading in real time but I got distracted, sorry.

Anyway, full reboot made no difference. Calibre still shows 3 different Charis Sil Fonts and there is only one present anywhere as far as I can tell now.

I have attached a debug log file CharisSil.txt which shows the conversion of 3 books.
NB: I got no errors no matter what font I chose. After conversion the eBook would open with no error in Sigil but only 1 of them had an actual embedded font Charis Sil Compact - book 1 of the 3.
Search for this string in the log file embed_font_family.

I also checked the page_style.css file in Sigil for each book and each of them referenced the font it was converted with. The font folder had the correct file names of the converted font BUT only book 1 actually had a real font. The other books, 2 & 3, reference the other Charis Sil Font but it is not displaying using ANY Charis font.
There are NO ERRORS!!!

Anyone have a clue what is happening here.

Cheers
Jon
Attached Files
File Type: txt CharisSil.txt (102.3 KB, 127 views)
Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #19
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The log mentions "Charis SIL Compact", "Charis SIL Modified" and "Charis SIL SmCp Modified". And it seems to be reducing their size. The first one is the one you are embedding now. Are the other two already in the books?

Or maybe they are just in the conversion options. If these books were converted before using the other fonts, those settings will be saved and reused. You could reset the conversion options for these books of them and see if the font references go away.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #20
Jon4Fun

I remove ALL fonts from eBooks during conversion. I have RESTORED the original ePub before every conversion and I tested this numerous times before I posted my log file. I just chose those books as they were handy and due for conversion. I have hundreds of other examples where the actual font I use at conversion is the one that is present and the ONLY one that is present after conversion.
Advert
Old 05-10-2016, 10:31 PM   #21
Jon4Fun

I could upload the actual eBooks before and after conversion but I am pretty sure that would break some site/forum rule. IF it doesn't please let me know and I'll send you actual examples.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:52 PM   #22
Jon4Fun

I'll check back in 12 hours or so and see if anyone has figured this out. It is not a big deal as Calibre works.
I just would like to know how & why?
Old 05-11-2016, 05:37 AM   #23
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Getting back to my original topic.

I've gone through my books, and I'm confused. As an example, out of 4 books, 3 will embed the font 'Kirsty-Regular' and 1 will embed 'Kirsty Ink'. Only the 'Kirsty Ink' returns with a Check Book Warning that the CSS font name doesn't match the actual font name. As I said, I would leave it, but it doesn't show the correct font (Kirsty Ink) in my reader. The others (Kirsty-Regular, Kirsty-Italic, Kirsty-Bold) all show up no problem.

Is there any way to get Calibre to always use Kirsty-Regular? I tried removing Kirsty Ink from the Calibre Fonts folder, but then it just refuses to embed at all for those books.

Even though I'm sure I'll change the font to another that this doesn't happen, I'd still like this solved for any future, similar problems.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:19 AM   #24
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
MerlinMamma --- I'm not 100% sure if this is what your problem is, but I seem to remember Kovid recommending that the CSS should use the actual FONT name, not the file name.

Fonts have an "internal" font-family name that might have nothing to do with the *file* name. For the most consistent results, it is best to match the File name to the Font-Family name.

Some font-management programs will tell you what the internal name is (I use a very old one called The Font Thing written for Win98/XP that still works on Win8). Another easy way to find that name is to download a FREE font editor called TypeLight from CR8 software: http://www.cr8software.net/typelight.html

Open your font in the typelight program. On the top menu bar, 4th button from the left, is FONT. Click that, and in the dropdown, click NAMES. The dialog that opens will display the internal name. Either re-type that Font Name to match the File Name and save the font, OR, close all, and re-name the File to match the internal name. Then change your CSS @font declaration to call for the internal font name as needed.

If the stars are in the correct configuration and your library fees are all paid up, things should work --- I hope.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:51 AM   #25
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Thanks, but without an answer for so long, I spent 2 days going through everything and changing the font to something that would work without a problem. If something like this ever comes up again, though, I'll see if this works.
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 10:50 AM   #26
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Thanks, but without an answer for so long, I spent 2 days going through everything and changing the font to something that would work without a problem. If something like this ever comes up again, though, I'll see if this works.
One of the 'solutions' (Right side) offered was for Calibre to adjust the (family) name in the stylesheet to match the internal name

This error is NOT the same as the wrong (inc case) filename. That one you need determine which one to spell (in the CSS) exactly the same as in the file list
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 10:39 AM   #27
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
FWIW, I have several stylesheets for various fonts that I can 'plug in' depending on what I think will work best

This is my Charis.css with 4 weights/styles

All have the same Family Name which is the internal name (see screen shot), but different file names

Code:
/* ----------------------------------------------*/
/* Style sheet to use Charis fonts -------------*/
/* ----------------------------------------------*/
@font-face {
  font-family: "Charis SIL Compact";
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  src: url(../fonts/CharisSILR.ttf);
  }
@font-face {
  font-family: "Charis SIL Compact";