Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-03-2020, 05:16 PM   #721
james_
Connoisseur
james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.james_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3,Oasis, YotaPhone 2, Boox Note2, Mi Pad 4+, Kobo Mini & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsebt View Post
Is there also a possibility to use the Note 2 with its usb-c connector as a second monitor?
Try this https://spacedesk.net/
james_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:18 AM   #722
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
YES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2new View Post
Can anyone confirm if:

adb reverse tcp:80 tcp:80

Lets you connect to the internet or localhost through the USB cable?
Much appreciated. Considering buying if it does.
It works!
Tested with a Max2, old firmware.
In the attached picture, I connect via web browser to a GIS server I keep on my desktop computer (as http://localhost:8080/ ). I trust that also VNC connections etc. will work as they should.

I did not know the `adb reverse` trick! Hippocrates was so right.

Much appreciated yourself!
Hello,

I try this with my Max 2 (Update 2.3.1) under Debian/Buster and Manjaro/Lysia :
Code:
$> adb devices
* daemon not running; starting now at tcp:5037
* daemon started successfully
List of devices attached
0123456789ABCDEF	device

$>adb reverse tcp:80 tcp:80
adb: error: cannot bind to socket: Permission denied
$> adb reverse tcp:5900 tcp:5900
$>
I've tried :
Code:
$>adb root
adbd cannot run as root in production builds
$>
$>adb kill-server
$>sudo adb root
[sudo] Password for xxxx *: 
$>sudo adb reverse tcp:80 tcp:80
Any idea ?
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #723
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
$>adb reverse tcp:80 tcp:80
$>
[...]
Any idea ?
Are you root on the desktop? (I see a dollar not a hash)
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:22 AM   #724
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hello Mdp,

Don't take care of the '$>', its only for distinguish the command from the output.
With 'sudo', I have the root's right.

With 'su - ' (as root) :
Code:
# adb root
To be complete :
Code:
# adb reverse tcp:80 tcp:80
adb: error: cannot bind to socket: Not a typewriter

Last edited by Randy11; 07-30-2020 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:52 AM   #725
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
This implies that your ADB cannot take control of the network. You may want to research into getting a permissive configuration.
Advert
Old 08-01-2020, 08:42 AM   #726
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
This implies that your ADB cannot take control of the network. You may want to research into getting a permissive configuration.
Thank you Mdp, I'm looking for that.
I'm surprised about the reference to the 'typewriter', an idea ?
Old 08-02-2020, 03:33 AM   #727
tjw321
tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.tjw321 is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Boox Max2 Pro
Quote:
Thank you Mdp, I'm looking for that.
I'm surprised about the reference to the 'typewriter', an idea ?
Something to do with this?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Not_a_typewriter
tjw321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:34 PM   #728
peterbacon
peterbacon began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsebt View Post
Is there also a possibility to use the Note 2 with its usb-c connector as a second monitor?
I tried spacedesk which works very well for wifi, but I'm also trying to utilize usb-c instead of using wifi for a monitor.. I just got the trial for Splashtop Wired XDisplay, I'll try and let you know how well it works.
peterbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #729
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've done a lot of digging on E-ink Monitors and this is what people are saying.

-Onyx Boox products are bad as monitors. Really bad lag, especially bad mouse lag.

-Dasung is the way to go.

I'd really appreciate an honest assesment of somebody who has used the Onyx as a monitor as this is a big purchase. How would you compare the two products ? Is the Onyx just as good ? I would love for the Onyx to be just as good because it's not just a monitor but a full tablet.

Then there's the Hisense Q5. Not E-ink but RLC with a super fast refresh rate but lower readability than E-ink.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 11:33 PM   #730
Huyggy
Zealot
Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.Huyggy knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Onyx Max 3 & Onyx Lumi 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
-Onyx Boox products are bad as monitors. Really bad lag, especially bad mouse lag.

I've bought a DASUNG as a second monitor: the screen was horrible, very difficult to read with super low contrast. I've sold it back in a week.
Then I've bought the Onyx BOOX 3 (my current device). I've used it as a second monitor for a while (3-4 months). It's usable but you can't compare it with LCD monitor, due to the current state of the EINK technology: there's lag (even if it's not so terrible) and low contrast (the blank of the page is not really white but greyish).
So I'm using it only as a tablet now (and I LOVE it!).

Last edited by Huyggy; 05-17-2021 at 02:51 AM.
Huyggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 12:39 AM   #731
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
This is because EInk is used as the display and EInk can only change the screen display very slowly.
Quote:
Dasung uses the same kind of screen, so it can't be faster either - especially the mouse.

I use my Boox Note Air with keyboard and pen as a notebook - the pen to put the cursor where I want it.
It would be nice to be able to use the Boox device on a workstation via wifi as a monitor and via Bluetooth as a mouse.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:02 AM   #732
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
This is because EInk is used as the display and EInk can only change the screen display very slowly. Dasung uses the same kind of screen, so it can't be faster either - especially the mouse.

I use my Boox Note Air with keyboard and pen as a notebook - the pen to put the cursor where I want it.
It would be nice to be able to use the Boox device on a workstation via wifi as a monitor and via Bluetooth as a mouse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huyggy View Post
I've bought a DASUNG as a second monitor: the screen was horrible, very difficult to read with super low contrast. I've sold it back in a week.
Then I've bought the Onyx BOOX 3 (my current device). I've used it as a second monitor for a while (3-4 months). It's usable but you can't compare it with LCD monitor, due to the current state of the EINK technology: there's lag (even if it's not so terrible) and low contrast (the blank of the page is not really white but greyish).
So I'm using it only as a tablet now (and I LOVE it!).
How does one explain these reviews ? Are they correct ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onyx 1.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	187197   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onyx 2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	187198   Click image for larger version

Name:	onyx 3.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	187199   Click image for larger version

Name:	Onyx 4.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	187200   Click image for larger version

Name:	onyx 5.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	187201  
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 11:07 AM   #733
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
How does one explain these reviews ? Are they correct ?
Google Translate does not like images.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 03:23 AM   #734
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
I own Max2 for a long time but honestly I use it only for reading PDFs as I prefer to read regular ebooks on 6" reader. With the latest firmware update there is a new X refresh mode which is really fast. I doubt there is any room to improve the speed on this eInk. However in general, I find the Max2 screen too small to do my typical work.

In fact I just jumped here from my email digest to share my view on the state of the affairs. Few years ago I was also fed up with working long hours staring at a bright screen, however nowadays all my devices are in dark mode. Dark mode got everywhere, as the main OS theme (be it my phone or macbook or windows 10) and it's gradually getting to every web page. Luckily chromium (chrome, MS Edge, and all derivatives) added a special tweak "Force dark mode", since that day I cannot complain anymore. I really got used to it and love it! No more eyes fatigue!

Some additional tips for using dark mode which I apply:
1. significantly lower the contrast setting. Somehow white fonts on a dark background also hurt my eyes long term, they shouldn't stay out that much (should be gray color)
2. increase font size and font boldness on high resolution screens. To my taste the stroke width has to be ~0.5 mm to be comfortable to read in dark mode. Unfortunately there's so many software out there which makes it wrong, i.e. very thin stroke
3. use matte finish screens ;-)
plusz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 05:38 PM   #735
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Onyx to be just as good because it's not just a monitor but a full tablet
This comes in handy as I recently wanted to post anyway for the following: what a great product the Onyx Max 2 is as a tablet. I have restarted using it in the past few weeks and I found the experience, refreshing. I use it with my own software to read articles, and the real estate is very precious.

As a monitor, I only used it in a trial phase as the optimal use would be with USB integration - be it VNC be it extended HDMI (touchscreen etc.) -, and it is absurd to drain the laptop battery, which seems unavoidable with USB. (Wi-Fi is equally absurd.)
So, as outdoors display, I am using more typical technologies with screens (cloth etc.) to block light sources. Of course this remain suboptimal in normal conditions (i.e. out of the car).

--

Note that I very recently came to know of a few advances in EPD. I do not know, owing to absence, if they were noted here. There seem to be displays around that can perform 15 fps on extra modes between A2 and Greyscale Update, and that come already equipped with an HDMI connection - because some may come as peripherals to the Raspberry PI and similar. The lag should also be improved.