Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 05:00 PM   #151
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
No, buzzwords like "retina", "lightning", "airxxx" and such.
Don't forget EarPods
Old 09-12-2012, 05:04 PM   #152
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
So, this is how I see it: with the release of the iPhone 5 Apple are finally admitting that the glass back idea was stupid, the screen was always too small and a proper 16:9 aspect ratio is better.
Eh. I just pray they do NOT bring a 16:9 screen to the iPad.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #153
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The Amazon event was more exciting
ZDNET agrees with you.
They *really* miss the Reality Distortion Field and are going through withdrawal.
http://www.zdnet.com/i-miss-apples-r...65/?s_cid=e589

Quote:
Jobs' showmanship was brilliant. He could take an incremental update---or a feature that has been seen somewhere else before---and make you think it was brilliant, amazing and beautiful. I knew it was a game, but it was one I played willingly. I'm going through Apple keynote withdrawal.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if Amazon does better Apple keynotes than Apple does. This riff isn't a knock on Apple per se, but discipline is lacking. First, Apple saw most of its iPhone 5 features leaked ahead of time. Then, there's a question of editing. Would Jobs have combined an iPhone 5, iPod and iTunes revamp, which happens to resemble Microsoft's Zune service, in one shindig?

Probably not.

Without the showmanship and Jobs' reality distortion field these Apple announcements look like really nice upgrades---for Apple users. A 4-inch screen is nice, but I already have one on my Android device. LTE is nice too, but I have that already. Apple execs today don't have me salivating over the iPhone 5. Jobs would have told me I had to give a crap and I would have.
They also have a history of the iPod Nano to contrast the new oe with what came before:
http://www.zdnet.com/new-7th-generat...72/?s_cid=e589

Quote:
The new iPod nano again comes in a variety of seven colors, more pastel than the 5th and 6th generation and more like the 3rd and 4th generation. It is the thinnest iPod ever made and has a rather large 2.5 inch mult-touch display. It comes with Bluetooth so you can enjoy music and audio wirelessly. Nike+ is integrated so you can use it to workout, but unfortunately there is still no GPS receiver or camera included. The 16GB nano is priced at $149.
GPS or camera on a media player?
Ohhhh-kaaayyyy...

Last edited by fjtorres; 09-12-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #154
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Now with the ecosystem Jobs built (iTunes/icloud,music match, iphone, ipad, apple tv, airport express) with his products, there can be no turning back for me. I'm invested, but more importantly, everything just works.

I honestly don't know if the same sort of eco-system can be duplicated using a non-apple solution. Perhaps, but I doubt it would be as seamless and even it it were, I have no reason to change.
Mr. Bezos has a proposition for you, foghat. I have always avoided Apple because I was wary of entanglements -- I encode my own music and video and keep the optical on shelves I bought when Blockbuster went under. I got the Fire with no intention of becoming entangled, but I find myself now being sucked into the vortex.

But Amazon's vortex is a more welcoming, less expensive, 'what can I do for you' as opposed to Apple's 'don't even thing about that' vortex.

I'm not going to pretend to know how all of this will work out, but I suspect there will be less buyer's remorse among the Amazonians than the iFolks and we're waiting here for you, foghat. See you soon!
Old 09-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #155
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
GPS or camera on a media player?
Ohhhh-kaaayyyy...
GPS makes some sense because the Nano is also used as a pedometer. And remember that the fourth-gen had a camera.
Advert
Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #156
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Attachment 92249

(Click to enlarge.)
It disappoints me that the recent report I heard that Apple would be replacing the 30-pin dock connector to USB connector with a standard microUSB to USB connector is untrue. Instead they've changed to a special "Apple Lightning" cord instead of a standard microUSB like everyone else is using.

I just had to replace the 30-pin cord on my iPad. After trying a few aftermarket products (prices range between 59¢ and $8) that either only worked half the time or not at all, I gave up and ordered the official cord from Apple for $25 ($19 + $4 for shipping and $2 for tax). $25 for a handful of wire and insulation is outrageous. Of course, you can buy a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter for $29 (figure on $35 after S&H and taxes) so all your old stuff will still work with the new docks, and a new Lightning to USB Cable for the same ridiculous price I just paid for the 30-pin to USB cord, but is anyone happy with this proprietary scheme Apple has pulled on its users?

File this under Why Apple should never be allowed to become a monopoly.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 09-12-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: oppsie.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:08 PM   #157
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Mr. Bezos has a proposition for you, foghat. I have always avoided Apple because I was wary of entanglements -- I encode my own music and video and keep the optical on shelves I bought when Blockbuster went under. I got the Fire with no intention of becoming entangled, but I find myself now being sucked into the vortex.

But Amazon's vortex is a more welcoming, less expensive, 'what can I do for you' as opposed to Apple's 'don't even thing about that' vortex.

I'm not going to pretend to know how all of this will work out, but I suspect there will be less buyer's remorse among the Amazonians than the iFolks and we're waiting here for you, foghat. See you soon!
Ya. The amazon stuff is starting to come into its own. Does android have a remote app to control the music on your computer? If so which program acts as the player on the pc? Is there an equivalent to airport express where I can tie in literally any set of speakers in my house and have them play music from my music library?

But this is all moot. The big deal breaker for me is you can't even get the fire in Canada nor most (all?) of the amazon music/video services. But, again, even if you could, I don't see the 'killer app' that would convince me to go through the effort of changing.

I used to be pretty hard core in terms getting the fastest/greatest hardware. I would make changes almost just for the sake of change. Not anymore. Like I said, the apple stuff just works and that works for me at this point in my life.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:10 PM   #158
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
It disappoints me that the recent report I heard that Apple would be replacing the 30-pin dock connector to USB connector to a standard microUSB to USB connector is untrue. Instead they've changed to a special "Apple Lightning" cord instead of a standard microUSB like everyone else is using.

I just had to replace the 30-pin cord on my iPad. After trying a few aftermarket products (prices range between 59¢ and $8) that either only worked half the time or not at all, I gave up and ordered the official cord from Apple for $25 ($19 + $4 for shipping and $2 for tax). $25 for a handful of wire and insulation is outrageous. Of course, you can buy a Lightning to 30-pin Adapter for $29 (figure on $35 after S&H and taxes) so all your old stuff will still work with the new docks, and a new Lightning to USB Cable for the same ridiculous price I just paid for the 30-pin to USB cord, but is anyone happy with this proprietary scheme Apple has pulled on its users?

I hope this dock-ageddon will lead to the rise of wireless accessories, you can do all this stuff over BT, no need to get tied to a proprietary connector. Or at least standard micro-USB (you can do digital Audio over that as well).
Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM   #159
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
...but is anyone happy with this proprietary scheme Apple has pulled on its users?

Apple has a knack for charging premium prices on accessories that are inexpensive to make. So, I'm definitely not happy.

If three things were included, I'd seriously consider upgrading:
  • GPS
  • 30-pin adapter included in box
  • 16GB version for $199
Old 09-12-2012, 06:15 PM   #160
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Apple has a knack for charging premium prices on accessories that are inexpensive to make. So, I'm definitely not happy.

If three things were included, I'd seriously consider upgrading:
  • GPS
  • 30-pin adapter included in box
  • 16GB version for $199
I'm thoroughly pleased with the Apple products I own. The prices, not so much, and the prices for replacement accessories not at all.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:18 PM   #161
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela

Quote:
It disappoints me that the recent report I heard that Apple would be replacing the 30-pin dock connector to USB connector with a standard microUSB to USB connector is untrue. Instead they've changed to a special "Apple Lightning" cord instead of a standard microUSB like everyone else is using.
What report? Every credible rumor I've read in the last few months has been pointing to this new reversible connector.

Last edited by Dylrob; 09-12-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #162
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
I'm thoroughly pleased with the Apple products I own. The prices, not so much, and the prices for replacement accessories not at all.
As a media player, I find the iPod touch very wanting. As an audio player, I find it an excellent device. As such, I limit its use to audio streaming/playback and am very pleased with it in that role.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:32 PM   #163
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
What report? Every credible rumor I've read in the last few months has been pointing to this new reversible connector.
Unfortunately the rumors were untrue, but here are a few links:

http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-mi...ousb-10246672/

http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-6454_7-10002721-4.html

http://gizmodo.com/5920925/new-iphon...micro+usb-port
Old 09-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #164
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Does android have a remote app to control the music on your computer? If so which program acts as the player on the pc? Is there an equivalent to airport express where I can tie in literally any set of speakers in my house and have them play music from my music library?
Yes, several, ranging from remote control of Spotify to full hardware solutions with wireless amps and speakers.

Graham
Old 09-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #165
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Ya. The amazon stuff is starting to come into its own. Does android have a remote app to control the music on your computer? If so which program acts as the player on the pc?
There are all sorts of remote apps on the Play store, it's unclear what your setup is so I couldn't point you to any.

Are you asking if you can remote control your iTune account from the an Android device.
Quote:
Is there an equivalent to airport express where I can tie in literally any set of speakers in my house and have them play music from my music library?
There is this, it seems to do what you're asking for.
Remote for iTunes that's just one but there are lots more.

There are also apps that control your stereo, etc....

CNet had a pretty interesting comment, usually a pro Apple site. They made a statement that they feel all vendors (Win8, Apple, Android) are on par. Each has their strength and weakness in the future it will come down to Ecosystems. I don't outright agree with them but there is some validity.

For me I'm not happy with any of them though Google's is slightly better than the rest because its the most open. Content wise it's not as good as the others. The worst is Apple because of the iTunes requirement.
Closed Thread