Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-01-2011, 01:20 AM   #1
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Question K3 SO 3G. Bought in US. Registered in India?

Hello,

A friend bought the Kindle 3G (global) Special offers version from her US amazon account. amazon.com link

Now, she is sending it to me in India directly (without opening)

Now the question is, will I be able to register it using her Amazon account here in India? Or does she need to register in the US itself?
i.e. does the physical location while registering matter?

consider these before answering:
Her account is an Amazon US edu prime account. (this is the account that the kindle will eventually be registered to, either in India or US; I won't be creating my own account)
I want to be able to use the 2G/3G here in India (since it's global)
specifically, since all 3G/2G transfer is chargeable except Wikipedia, I want to be able to use Wikipedia freely in India where coverage is available.

there is a similar but unanswered post here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98939
MyPreciousss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 01:46 AM   #2
MyPreciousss
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

More info: She did not order it as a 'gift'. She ordered it as a normal purchase.
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you buy a Kindle from Amazon, it comes pre-registered to the buyer's account. You will not need to re-register it, unless you want to change the account that it's registered to.

Internet access is NOT charged; the only charge is made for 3G sending of personal documents to the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:48 AM   #4
istoner
istoner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Multiple Kindle owner here from India, all through the kindness of US grad student friends.
3G isn't charged, you can connect the device to any Amazon account from anywhere. Great that you have a US account linked to it, you can actually avail the Special Offers.
istoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Just to add a couple of points:

- Assuming you have 3G wireless access, you can easily change the registration from the Kindle's Settings page. But if you are outside 3G range, you will first have to get your friend to de-register the Kindle (from the Manage My Kindle page on the Amazon website), after which you can will be able to register it yourself (again, via Manage My Kindle).

Istoner said:

Great that you have a US account linked to it, you can actually avail the Special Offers.

That's true. But you might still come up against geographical restrictions in the books you wish to buy. Many titles in the US store are only available to customers that are physically in the US. Having an account with Amazon in the US doesn't help with that.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #6
istoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
But you might still come up against geographical restrictions in the books you wish to buy. Many titles in the US store are only available to customers that are physically in the US. Having an account with Amazon in the US doesn't help with that.
Is that so? Quite inconvenient for the jet-setting types isn't it, wonder why they have that policy in place.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's nothing to do with Amazon - it's a matter of what region the publisher is authorised to sell a book to.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
MyPreciousss

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by istoner View Post
Multiple Kindle owner here from India, all through the kindness of US grad student friends.
3G isn't charged, you can connect the device to any Amazon account from anywhere. Great that you have a US account linked to it, you can actually avail the Special Offers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Just to add a couple of points:

- Assuming you have 3G wireless access, you can easily change the registration from the Kindle's Settings page. But if you are outside 3G range, you will first have to get your friend to de-register the Kindle (from the Manage My Kindle page on the Amazon website), after which you can will be able to register it yourself (again, via Manage My Kindle).

Istoner said:

Great that you have a US account linked to it, you can actually avail the Special Offers.

That's true. But you might still come up against geographical restrictions in the books you wish to buy. Many titles in the US store are only available to customers that are physically in the US. Having an account with Amazon in the US doesn't help with that.

thanks you two!
Istoner's reply was what I wanted to know...
If I could use GSM internet in India for free without she needing to open it and register there.
And it seems, I can indeed.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
istoner

Ok I've stumbled upon something which you might find useful.

I bought my kindle from my amazon account, which is registered as an Indian account.

This gentleman bought it from an American amazon account and ran into a little roadblock as you will discover when you read his post. So you might have to change the country of your account.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:45 AM   #10
MyPreciousss

I found another discussion in a google group.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ia/Q4BmrgPLT_g

According to this, even though the coverage map shows India as 2G, metros like mumbai have 3G.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
MyPreciousss

Final Update:

I got my Kindle3/G

The 3G is free and works. Even 2G works in spotty areas.

Thank you all!

Screenshot attached of available networks here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	203
Size:	11.8 KB
ID:	75517