Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 09-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Arkadian
Connoisseur
Arkadian began at the beginning.

Device: none
Oh, well, so I am not a TOTAL moron, then (just half a moron ).

I am actually just using the ibooks of my mac now, but I had someone looking at the book on her device (not sure what it was though...) and she had the same hyphenation problems. Don't know if she knows about the switch...
Tomorrow testing on a Kindle and then I should be done.

Thanks a lot
Arkadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
I am actually just using the ibooks of my mac now, but I had someone looking at the book on her device (not sure what it was though...) and she had the same hyphenation problems. Don't know if she knows about the switch...
Tomorrow testing on a Kindle and then I should be done.
... you are going to put this book up for sale? If so, I would completely recommend AGAINST disabling hyphenation in the body. It is only going to cause headaches. This is something to be left on a per-device basis, and leave it up to the readers.

I would only recommend disabling hyphenation extremely rarely (for example, sometimes people include it only in h1, h2, h3), or if you are going to personally be reading it on a device that does not have the hyphenation toggle (for example, my Nook is ADE based, and doesn't support CSS3, and I have no way of enabling/disabling it, so I could do it manually using the adobe-hyphenate).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-15-2014 at 07:16 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #18
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The calibre editor has this feature View->Live CSS - it enables one to see the 'final CSS' and from where the elements therein were inherited. I find it useful to figure out the CSS and to do any rationalisation - less is better, least is best.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	editor live ccs.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	128404  

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-15-2014 at 07:36 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:41 PM   #19
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadian View Post
Hi there,

I had done exactly that, and this is what I am getting out:
See the yellow triangles?
See the word 'Warning' on the right for each of those?

Warnings are just advice for the most case (specific devices may choke. Many don't care)

Red X's are the bad stuff that needs to be fixed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:48 PM   #20
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Complete Side Note: BetterRed, buddy ol' pal!! You must really begin posting PNGs instead of that dreadful JPG for screenshots. Look at that bloated filesize!!! I mean, take a look at mine, much higher resolution, and are even 20-50% the total filesize (with zero haloing). I explained the reasoning + samples here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...54&postcount=8
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=26

Join me + RbnJrg + all the cool people with small image filesizes! Plus think of all the glorious bandwidth + storage space we will be saving for MobileRead!

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-15-2014 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Tex2002ans - my smart screen capture gadget (the one I use for tricky things) produces bloated pngs and I wont be retiring it after the decades of loyal, sterling service its given me.

If MR want me not to post jpegs then they should remove them from the list and instead I'll post links to bitmaps on some naughty picture site

Besides which and most importantly I go out of my way to be uncool

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #22
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Looking over my collection of reusable calibre help images, I see most of them (PNG) were saved by Ubuntu capture screen tool. The handful of JPGs were saved by LightScreenPortable, and are much bigger.

Now you draw my attention to the issue, I have discovered a setting to avoid the default JPG (what scandal is this) and save them as PNG.

EDIT: No bloated png here.

Last edited by eschwartz; 09-15-2014 at 11:55 PM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #23
Tex2002ans
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@Tex2002ans - my smart screen capture gadget (the one I use for tricky things) produces bloated pngs and I wont be retiring it after the decades of loyal, sterling service its given me.

[...]

Besides which and most importantly I go out of my way to be uncool
Just requires some extra basic processing afterwards, or just running the PNG through a simple optimization program which will strip out a lot of the cruft/bloat that crappy PNG generators make (I personally settled on ScriptPNG on Windows, although many others run OptiPNG, PNGCrush, etc. etc.). I am always tweaking the images in GIMP anyway (adding in those orange highlights to point out certain areas).

I must admit though, I do Index the PNGs to <256 colors usually, to chop out a heck of a lot more space (creates tiny bit of banding on gradients, which I find infinitely better than hideous pixelation/haloing around text/important stuff). Although even when you just stick with a full RGB PNG, it still should still just be a fraction of the filesize of the JPG.

This is all my eyes see whenever I see JPG (this is a zoomed in section of the image below, comparing a JPG (90 quality) + PNG):

Name:	ZoomJPG90.png
Views:	220
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	128407 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZoomPNG.png
Views:	229
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	128408

As you can see, even at 90 quality, the JPG artifacting gets unsightly!

Remember, JPG was designed for "natural" photos (trees, people, buildings, etc. etc.), while PNG is vastly superior for "artificial" images (graphs, charts, formulas, screenshots, etc. etc.).

Side Note: Everyone, tell BetterRed that is it UNCOOL to use PNG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Now you draw my attention to the issue, I have discovered a setting to avoid the default JPG (what scandal is this) and save them as PNG.
Now all the cool people need to learn how to insert attachments into the middle of posts where relevant. Instead of just leaving them appended at the very end. When you are typing a post in the "Advanced Editor", you see that little arrow next to the paper clip?

Name:	MobileReadAttachments.png
Views:	354
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	128406

You click on the image you want to insert, and MobileRead will then place some attach code, which you can then cut/paste anywhere in your post where you want the image to show up. Really helpful when trying to do tutorial type stuff (or just showing off examples, etc. etc.).

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 09-15-2014 at 10:17 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Side Note: Everyone, tell BetterRed that is it UNCOOL to use PNG.
@BetterRed, only nerds use PNG.

Quote:
Now all the cool people need to learn how to insert attachments into the middle of posts where relevant. Instead of just leaving them appended at the very end. When you are typing a post in the "Advanced Editor", you see that little arrow next to the paper clip?

Attachment 128406

You click on the image you want to insert, and MobileRead will then place some attach code, which you can then cut/paste anywhere in your post where you want the image to show up. Really helpful when trying to do tutorial type stuff (or just showing off examples, etc. etc.).
I know how to do that. I usually don't bother, though, if the entire post just describes the screenshot.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote