Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-09-2020, 03:53 AM   #31
baljo
Connoisseur
baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.baljo did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, Sony Reader PRS-650, GoodEReader 13.3", Onyx Boox Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I saw the reMarkable 2 advertised on Pluto TV tonight and thought maybe it was Sony's new device.
Wikipedia says it's a Norwegian startup company called reMarkable. Looks pretty slick though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWY_bwFMxro
Well, not fake news, neither fresh news
Has been discussed at least here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=328139
baljo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 01:06 AM   #32
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I didn't mean it to be anything but to express my surprise that someone seems to be doing what Sony SHOULD have been doing.
It is pretty sharp looking though.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #33
9seriessolutions
9seriessolutions began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by John.Dorrian View Post
According to a shady source. Sony might release a new digital paper in 2019

https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...leased-in-2019

Any news on this???
Sounds interesting

But I got a sad news that Sony Digital Paper DPT-RP1 is Discontinued in the US.

Please read below.
https://goodereader.com/blog/electro...nued-in-the-us
9seriessolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #34
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9seriessolutions View Post
Sounds interesting

But I got a sad news that Sony Digital Paper DPT-RP1 is Discontinued in the US.
Old news. E.g. this article from August

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...-discontinued/
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #35
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I didn't mean it to be anything but to express my surprise that someone seems to be doing what Sony SHOULD have been doing.
It is pretty sharp looking though.
in what way was the sony device lacking? both are dedicated pdf viewers with capability to annotate. and both have written notes with multiple templates. with the sony, i can even upload my own note template.

the only thing i can see as reMarkable having the advantage is the response time when writing. but if sony persisted, they would have also been able to match the response time when writing.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 03:29 PM   #36
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosamosa View Post
So now that Digital paper is discontinued, any ideas how to get the replacement nibs? I'm afraid of running out of them. Paid for this device less than a year ago. Quite pricey and will maybe only be able to use for a few months. Any help or thoughts.
i don't think the reMarkable marker nibs are compatible in terms of being the right shape. but i know that the sony stylus is compatible with the reMarkable 2. so the reverse (though i've not tested) should work. you could buy a standard reMarkable 2 marker and use it with the sony if it comes to that. and there are also other styli that are compatible with the sony as well. i'm just not sure which ones. i did find some, but it's been a while since i looked it up.
Old 12-09-2020, 03:34 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
in what way was the sony device lacking? both are dedicated pdf viewers with capability to annotate. and both have written notes with multiple templates. with the sony, i can even upload my own note template.

the only thing i can see as reMarkable having the advantage is the response time when writing. but if sony persisted, they would have also been able to match the response time when writing.
One major issue with the Sony is it ONLY does PDF. The Remarkable 2 does PDF and ePub. The Onyx Boox Max Lumi is 13.3", has a front light, runs Android 10.0 and does a lot more then either Sony or Remarkable 2.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:57 PM   #38
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One major issue with the Sony is it ONLY does PDF. The Remarkable 2 does PDF and ePub.
technically, the reMarkable does not work with ePub files. when you upload an ePub file, the reMarkable server converts it to a pdf and sends it to your device in pdf format. there is a thread on the reMarkable that discusses this.
Old 12-09-2020, 10:19 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
technically, the reMarkable does not work with ePub files. when you upload an ePub file, the reMarkable server converts it to a pdf and sends it to your device in pdf format. there is a thread on the reMarkable that discusses this.
Then Remarkable are lying as it doesn't support ePub.
Old 12-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #40
rem736
purpose priority passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then Remarkable are lying as it doesn't support ePub.
yes. that may be the case. but the question is since both sony and reMarkable has essentially the same feature set, why did sony fail where reMarkable succeeded?
Old 12-10-2020, 08:05 PM   #41
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
I believe the conversion’s taking place on the device itself, not the server. A subtle difference, other than negating JSWolf’s accusation...
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:15 AM   #42
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Quote:

Sony is lacking in that, as far as I know, they are no longer developing eInk devices.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 06:16 AM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

If I was looking for a 13.3" eInk Reader, I would go with the Onyx Boox Lumi Max. It has front lighting and it's not limited to PDF.