Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-05-2019, 11:35 AM   #916
Gotadimple
Zealot
Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gotadimple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nvidia Shield
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I have nothing against thrillers I like 'em in fact, and I read a lot of them.

But with Kindle First, the author's names change, the book covers change, and maybe the protagonist will change from a 14-year-old girl to an older divorced woman, or widowed woman (age varies on that), but the synopses all pretty much sound like the standard 3 or 4 boilerplate models.
That's editing! The editors are choosing the theme they think will sell, that's why it's pretty much all the same story. Finding a thriller that is not in the model is difficult.
Gotadimple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 05:05 PM   #917
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I went will the thriller " Here To Stay " by Mark Edwards, this month. I read another book by him "Follow You Home " and enjoyed it. This one has the In Laws from Hell, and that might be literale. Lol. You never know with Edwards. Kinda like the British version of Stephen King , not his great ones but close enough, I think. Take ordinary folks and turn everything they thought they knew and could count on to be second guessed a little too late.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:08 AM   #918
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
I picked Black Nowhere for me this month. Was an interesting read for a fictionalized story that is loosely based on a true story. A little short, could have went more into technical detail. Probably a good thing as to have non-geeks included in the target audience.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:20 PM   #919
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
I went will the thriller " Here To Stay " by Mark Edwards, this month. I read another book by him "Follow You Home " and enjoyed it. This one has the In Laws from Hell, and that might be literale. Lol. You never know with Edwards. Kinda like the British version of Stephen King , not his great ones but close enough, I think. Take ordinary folks and turn everything they thought they knew and could count on to be second guessed a little too late.
I'm undecided between that one and The Rabbit Girls. I'm somewhat afraid of the latter; what little I know about what happened to those women at Ravensbruck is so horrifying that I don't know if I want to dwell on it. But Here to Stay seems to be just another ho-hum domestic thriller of the kind I devour like popcorn.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 09:45 PM   #920
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
I did too and discovered that most of his books were heavily reduced in price with the whispersync audiobook at $1.99. Credit card too a hit again (I pay it all at the end of the month, but still).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #921
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I'm undecided between that one and The Rabbit Girls. I'm somewhat afraid of the latter; what little I know about what happened to those women at Ravensbruck is so horrifying that I don't know if I want to dwell on it. But Here to Stay seems to be just another ho-hum domestic thriller of the kind I devour like popcorn.
I was interested in " Rabbit Girls " too. I was reading " A Woman From Berlin " at the time, so I wanted to read a different genre at the time. I'll probably read "Rabbit Girls " at some point too. I started " Here to Stay " last night and the opening pages were describing a scene where people were fleeing in a car in the French countryside at night, with a body in the trunk. Then the story starts at the beginning, and how the main character met his wife and in laws in London where he lives. I expect a roller coaster ride and I'm only about 20% read. These books build with tension, mundane turns to terror fairly quickly. It's mostly the doubt the character has and does not act upon in time. Always rationalizing and casting doubt aside, seem to be how these start out.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #922
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
I did too and discovered that most of his books were heavily reduced in price with the whispersync audiobook at $1.99. Credit card too a hit again (I pay it all at the end of the month, but still).
I don't read audio books myself but my husband does and that's a good price at $1.99. I think I'll get it for him. I'll need to check out the other books as well since they have been marked down. I've only read " Follow You Home " and enjoyed it Thanks for the heads up on these.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:43 PM   #923
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was interested in " Rabbit Girls " too. I was reading " A Woman From Berlin " at the time, so I wanted to read a different genre at the time. I'll probably read "Rabbit Girls " at some point too. I started " Here to Stay " last night and the opening pages were describing a scene where people were fleeing in a car in the French countryside at night, with a body in the trunk. Then the story starts at the beginning, and how the main character met his wife and in laws in London where he lives. I expect a roller coaster ride and I'm only about 20% read. These books build with tension, mundane turns to terror fairly quickly. It's mostly the doubt the character has and does not act upon in time. Always rationalizing and casting doubt aside, seem to be how these start out.
Thanks for the info on Here to Stay.

What did you think of A Woman from Berlin? I have the audiobook on hold at my library.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #924
Wearever
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for the info on Here to Stay.

What did you think of A Woman from Berlin? I have the audiobook on hold at my library.
It was very interesting, it's one of my top 10 books now. I had been wanting to read it for a while, but was a little afraid of what was happening in Berlin in the last days of the war and when the Russians first conquered the city. The author wrote it while it was happening and was a journalist. She thought it was important to write about it although she never thought it would become a book at the time. It reads like a journal and her writing is objective. She simply describes what it was like day to day. Each person did what they could to survive. It's all the little things that surprised me the most. Like the Russians never went up to the higher floors in apartment buildings. They didn't trust them and avoided those floors. The author lived on the 4th or top floor, but she didn't feel safe so stayed with a neighbor on the second floor. When it was safe after a few weeks she went back to her apartment. Nothing was touched no footprints on the floor and even her radio was still there. It's things like that that no one knew, but happened. I think it's an important book and I'm glad I finally read it. Let me know how you liked the audio version. Catlady
Old 08-16-2019, 01:51 PM   #925
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It was very interesting, it's one of my top 10 books now. I had been wanting to read it for a while, but was a little afraid of what was happening in Berlin in the last days of the war and when the Russians first conquered the city. The author wrote it while it was happening and was a journalist. She thought it was important to write about it although she never thought it would become a book at the time. It reads like a journal and her writing is objective. She simply describes what it was like day to day. Each person did what they could to survive. It's all the little things that surprised me the most. Like the Russians never went up to the higher floors in apartment buildings. They didn't trust them and avoided those floors. The author lived on the 4th or top floor, but she didn't feel safe so stayed with a neighbor on the second floor. When it was safe after a few weeks she went back to her apartment. Nothing was touched no footprints on the floor and even her radio was still there. It's things like that that no one knew, but happened. I think it's an important book and I'm glad I finally read it. Let me know how you liked the audio version. Catlady
Thanks. My hold won't come through for several more weeks. It sounds like the kind of book that should be read, but will hurt to read.
Old 08-17-2019, 06:22 PM   #926
Wearever
Wizard

It's not as bad as it was in other places like Koeningsberg, it was the waiting that was hard. I think Berlin was the prize but they also knew the war was finished when the russians came. The author knew some russian and had visited russia before the war. She had insight into how they lived, she talks about her conversations with them in her apartment. It was kind of a hangout because they felt comfortable there. She also used some of them as protectors. The women all talked about what happened to them at the water pump once a day. They were very open about it, and I think that helped them control the narrative , they joked about it like gallows humor. This helped them cope. The only thing they could control was how they saw themselves and it helped. They made fun of them amongst themselves.

Last edited by Wearever; 08-17-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 08:08 AM   #927
Wearever
Wizard

I finished " Here to Stay " and thought it was interesting. The unique storyline of the In Laws from hell worked. They were believable as sociopaths, and one psychopath. Not the typical family I think.

Last edited by Wearever; 08-20-2019 at 07:50 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #928
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
It's toward the end of the month and I can't decide. I guess it doesn't matter much because I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and they'll all end up there. Maybe Rabbit Girls? There are a few that sound interesting but not that sound great.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 10:11 PM   #929
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyWithNook View Post
It's toward the end of the month and I can't decide. I guess it doesn't matter much because I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and they'll all end up there. Maybe Rabbit Girls? There are a few that sound interesting but not that sound great.
An idea, if you can't decide, is to always pick the children's book. As long as you subscribe to KU, you will have books for yourself to read. Never know when those piled up children's books come in handy in the future.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 02:41 PM   #930
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Except they can't be read on many devices. Neither my Oasis 1 nor my Voyage were shown as allowable download devices. I think "kindle on Mac" was allowed, but I moved on to a different book instead.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 08-28-2019 at 02:43 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote