Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #76
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
An eReader is anything that can read Digital Books i.e. Ebooks. It does not refer to just eInk devices. Tablets and phones are included in this definition.
Apache
Of course, using that as your criteria, the article should also include best phone, laptop, desktop, etc...
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #77
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
An eReader is anything that can read Digital Books i.e. Ebooks. It does not refer to just eInk devices. Tablets and phones are included in this definition.
Apache
As are my desktop, my laptop and a few dozen virtualized servers? They can all allow me to read digital books. Though installing the Kobo and Kindle apps on the VM servers might be a bit iffy—not the actual install but trying to justify the installs.

Heck, my first ereader—by your definition—had a CRT monitor and ran CP/M.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:51 AM   #78
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Though installing the Kobo and Kindle apps on the VM servers might be a bit iffy—not the actual install but trying to justify the installs.
If you're in the US and you had a VM in Europe then you could legally read a book from it that's covered by the 70+ lifetime copyright expiration even if it's still under copyright here.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:11 AM   #79
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Getting a little away from things for a second, given that the first ebook is 1971 as far as I know (first upload to project Gutenberg). If you wanna widely define ebook reader, what was the first ebook reader
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #80
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
Getting a little away from things for a second, given that the first ebook is 1971 as far as I know (first upload to project Gutenberg). If you wanna widely define ebook reader, what was the first ebook reader
Using his definition, my first personal ebook reader was my computer in 1977. It had had a massive 64KB of memory and ran CP/M on a 4MHz Z-80 processor with a 15" amber monitor. With all the bits and pieces, it outweighed a Kobo Forma by just a bit.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM   #81
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
If you wanna widely define ebook reader, what was the first ebook reader
I don't have any research to back up my guess, but I'd wager the first ebook reader was a human of some sort
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:00 PM   #82
Nausicaa
Connoisseur
Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nausicaa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Of course, using that as your criteria, the article should also include best phone, laptop, desktop, etc...
Why not?
https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops.../p/ZZIWZWBYB1J

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/20...s-nice-videos/

Should have used a device with AMOLED for tablet like galaxy tab IMO.
Nausicaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:32 PM   #83
Shane R
Fanatic
Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shane R ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I hear that often. But I don't seem to hear justifications for that claim.

Android tablets do all of that as well and tend to include expandable storage.
The Android tablet scene is in hospice.

Quote:
Google’s getting out of the tablet hardware business, canceling two different tablets it was building and reassigning those employees to other projects.
-
I am not sure I would be comforted if I were a tablet manufacturer, though. The problems that have plagued Google’s own devices involved some self-inflicted hardware wounds, sure, but they were mere scrapes compared to what has been going on with Google’s tablet software and ecosystem.

That’s because Google’s actions show that it just doesn’t care that much about tablets.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/6/21/1...s-cancellation
Shane R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 01:35 PM   #84
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
To be fair, the last tablet Google made was a Chrome OS tablet. Although Chrome OS has supported Android apps for at least a couple years now.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote