Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-01-2019, 09:21 PM   #1
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Chromebook updates.

Chromebook updates:

1. Chromebook now accepts a direct USB connection to a legacy printer. You don't have to use a network or wireless printer.

Unfortunately I have one of the older Acer Chromebooks that is "no longer supported" and I haven't been able to do this simple USB direct connection. I can still use a wireless or network printer though. (I will keep trying though for the direct connection.)

2. One of my sons just bought a new Lenovo Chromebook from Best Buy. It is one of the 2 in 1 devices that has a 360 degree hinge so it can be a tablet, a laptop, a "pyramid" or whatever.
It has a touchscreen of course and was $250. Just slightly more than I paid for my Acer Chrome book with a plain hinge and no touch screen.

Both have the 4GB Ram, but my son's machine has a 30 or 60 GB solid state storage drive and mine has a 325GB disk hard drive.

The Solid State drive machine will accept a SD type memory card for storage.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 01:12 AM   #2
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My son's Lenovo Chromebook has only a 32GB SSD. I need more. Sure I can add a memory card or a flash drive or an external hard drive or even cloud memory but come on! A larger SSD or a small hard drive wouldn't cost that much more. Maybe $10 to $20 even as an option.

Other than that it is really great.

Last edited by frahse; 04-13-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 05:51 AM   #3
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Still loving my Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. I'm now running an i5 Asus box as my daily desktop and a Samsung Chromebook Plus when I'm out and about. So little hassle and so much speed!

Having Android apps and Linux now integrated just adds the icing on the cake. I had a good play with Linux but it takes you back towards hassle, so I think I've just got Gimp loaded now for those few times that Pixlr can't handle what I want to do. However, with audio support coming soon, I may add Audacity.

Android support is a joy, though, and seems pretty hassle free now. Having access to the app store has really rounded out what you can do with ChromeOS.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 04-13-2019 at 05:56 AM.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Still loving my Chromebooks and Chromeboxes. I'm now running an i5 Asus box as my daily desktop and a Samsung Chromebook Plus when I'm out and about. So little hassle and so much speed!

Having Android apps and Linux now integrated just adds the icing on the cake. I had a good play with Linux but it takes you back towards hassle, so I think I've just got Gimp loaded now for those few times that Pixlr can't handle what I want to do. However, with audio support coming soon, I may add Audacity.

Android support is a joy, though, and seems pretty hassle free now. Having access to the app store has really rounded out what you can do with ChromeOS.

Graham
Have you done any direct printing (USB cable to a printer) with your devices?
Old 04-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #5
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
I can't see the point of a Chromebox myself. If I am going to sit down at a desk, then likely I want to work, so I need more than a ChromeOS device can provide (though nowadays Android and Linux support go a long way).

A Chromebook has replaced a lot of my tablet usage though. I'd love a good Chrome tablet; it's a shame the Pixel Slate seems problematic. It would be an all time great comic reading device too.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:18 PM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I can't see the point of a Chromebox myself. If I am going to sit down at a desk, then likely I want to work, so I need more than a ChromeOS device can provide (though nowadays Android and Linux support go a long way).

A Chromebook has replaced a lot of my tablet usage though. I'd love a good Chrome tablet; it's a shame the Pixel Slate seems problematic. It would be an all time great comic reading device too.
There's the HP Chromebook x2, which is a 12" tablet with a detachable keyboard which makes it look like a laptop (none of the pictures on Amazon show it detached, but it does). I bought one. But, at the time at least, Android apps couldn't access the SD card. So it wasn't the all time great comic reader I hoped it would be.

Maybe the SD card access has been corrected since then?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
I had an asus flip but I found it too limiting. It lacked the resources to load Linux and have space to work. I consistently find Linux to be a pita. Note to self: dont flirt with Linux. Android was handy but again it was the lack of storage got in the way. I also didntnlike the screen. Too shiny. I like matt displays. But it was a pretty aluminium device and I sold it on easily for the same price to a mac lover.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote