Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 10:20 AM   #1
Kindling
Kindling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
re-registering & Kindle content

Hello,

I am not currently using Caliber but am hopeful that it may assist me with a problem. I have a 1st generation Kindle that was a gift from a family member with whom I have been sharing a "kindle account" at Amazon. I find myself wanting to leave the family group (our reading interests don't really overlap and I would actually prefer some privacy) and have established my own Kindle content account that I use with my netbook. I have not registered my Kindle to this new account as yet because I do not want to lose the ebooks I have already purchased.

Would Caliber allow me to download my existing Kindle files from the group account and then follow me through re-registration to my new Amazon account while retaining my past purchases? I do have the books I want saved to a SD card and am hoping I will be able to access these files after the switch (as long as Whispernet is turned off on the device) but am reluctant to make a jump without more information. I would really prefer an alternative to this "plan" as I don't want the risk of losing my files. To date, I have made a considerable investment in content so any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Is there hope that Caliber might offer a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

TR
Kindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:47 AM   #2
Malcolm
Enthusiast
Malcolm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, K4PC, Kindle 2, Droid Eris
@Kindling:
I did that between my wifes K2 and my KDX. I downloaded all her ebooks then connected her K2 to my copy of calibre, uploaded her books then deregistered her from her old account. Now all her books are on calibre. When the K2 needs a book it is always available (and backed up I would stress) on calibre. I do the same with my DX but always stay registered. It's not quite for the same reason but it still shows you can do this in the way that will work.

Calibre becomes the master library for her and I have have no need to access her old account again.
Malcolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #3
Kindling
Kindling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 1
@Malcolm

Thanks for your input!
Kindling is offline   Reply With Quote