Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-22-2013, 07:27 AM   #1
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Kindle Paperwhite Software Update Missing from Amazon Site

I noticed from yesterday that at the software update page the kindle paperwhite is missing..a new software update on the way maybe?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529680
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Or perhaps there isn't one available for the paperwhite? I noticed since the release of version 2 the PW was not available, so I assume they are not going to feature both versions??
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There is an update brewing (Amazon has stated as much) but this is not necessarily anything more than a mistake. There is still a PW1 update page, but the link to it is gone:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201064850
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
There is an update brewing (Amazon has stated as much) but this is not necessarily anything more than a mistake. There is still a PW1 update page, but the link to it is gone:

At some point they will add the Goodreads interconnection feature and that will probably be a big update with other stuff. I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor updates prior to that one.
Old 10-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #5
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post

Now this page is gone too.

On the German Amazon update page the Kindle PW is not shown as a picture but still shon in the list menu on the left side of the page. There is definetely something going on that will lead to a common update for PW1 and PW2?
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #6
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
Great News guys! I just talked with CS and asked them why is the update page missing for the PW 1 ... and here what they said to me :

Tammy:let me take a look , please hold
It looks like our developers have pulled the software update from the website, because they are busy updating it, it will become available soon, please bear with us
Me:i understand . And do you know approximately when?
Tammy:There is no time line yet, but since there are alot of people waiting for it, our developers are urgently working on it. Please keep checking back

So a new software update its on the way for PW1 in a few hours /days.
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM   #7
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Did the update materialize yet?
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
The Paperwhite 2012 has a new software update (5.3.8.1) available here:

Your PW 2012 should have version 5.3.8 on it before the upgrade.

It does NOT apply to the PW 2013 which has version 5.4.0 on it.

I can see lots of folks getting confused with the TWO PW's in use now.

Last edited by sirmaru; 10-25-2013 at 12:01 PM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Anyone tried it ? Anything changed ?
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
Anyone tried it ? Anything changed ?
Here are the changes for the PW 2012:

The software update includes general improvements and the following feature enhancements:

•Search terms highlighted in search results
When you search for a word or phrase within a book, the search terms will appear highlighted within the search results. When you tap a result to go to that location in the book, the search terms will appear highlighted on the page.

•Select other dictionaries when looking up a word
When you look up a word in the dictionary, you can choose to look up the word in other dictionaries on your device from within the dictionary definition window.

•View other definitions of a word
When you look up a word that has multiple meanings for the same spelling (homonym), you can navigate through each of the available definitions from within the dictionary definition window.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #11
Helgetus
Zealot
Helgetus doesn't litterHelgetus doesn't litter

Device: PW1, PW2, KB3G, Sony PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
It does NOT apply to the PW 2013 which has version 5.4.0 on it.
How can you be so sure? It does not state that on the help page. I can see the logic behind your statement. Nevertheless, Amazon should be more clear about which version of the PWs should get the update.

Edit: Tried to install the 5.3.8.1 update on my to be returned PW2. Did not work. So that is safe.

Last edited by Helgetus; 10-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Helgetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #12
booknut
Zealot
booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'booknut understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: PW1 + PW2, NOOK HD
Hope this does not break the custom font hack with USE_ALT_FONTS. I have 5.3.8 on my PW1 now, wonder what the 0.0.0.1 changes...

I am sooooo bad, tell me not to think of a pink elephant...
Well, I updated but cannot see any change whatsoever, device is now 5.3.8.1 and font hack still works.

Last edited by booknut; 10-25-2013 at 04:53 PM.
booknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by booknut View Post
Me too! How hard is it to let people know what's been updated? Fixed?

I've had to problems with 5.3.8; at this point I don't think I'll update.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
PLEASE I hope they fix the bug where the light doesn't turn off. Now that my PW is in a case, the problem is worse because I don't notice it. This bug nearly caused the battery in my PW to run out while I was on vacation!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
sirmaru
Wizard

Turn off WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
PLEASE I hope they fix the bug where the light doesn't turn off. Now that my PW is in a case, the problem is worse because I don't notice it. This bug nearly caused the battery in my PW to run out while I was on vacation!

eP
Turn off WiFi when not using it for syncing or downloading new eBooks. That is the big battery hog.