Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 12:03 AM   #1
wemet
wemet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
SSH - Connection Refused - Going Insane

I'm quite new to this but I've read 10 zillion different threads trying to solve this.

-I have firmware 4.1.1
-I've successfully jailbroken
-I installed the simple usbNetwork hack
-Comp ip set to: 192.168.15.1 - Successfully pinged.
-Kindle ip: 192.168.15.244 - Successfully pinged.

I put the kindle in diagnostic mode, open up Putty and try to SSH to 192.168.15.244 but always get 'Connection Refused'.

I've also tried to SSh to Kindle from the home screen by doing: ;debugON and ~usbNetwork. When I do, the Kindle successfully goes into the usb network mode (and is no longer recognized as a mass storage device) but not I cannot ping the kindle and get 'Connection timed out' when trying to SSh with Putty.

-I'm using Windows 7 FYI

I assume my ignorance is causing me to miss a very simple, yet crucial step. Anyone know what that step is? Hhhhhhhhelp!
wemet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:53 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Is there any reason you wouldn't ask this in that thread? All the right people would get notified of your issue...

Win 7... so no easy helpful toolset included for free... I guess you should check that port 22 actually exists.

One more thing - you say you "enter Diags" - and yet you talked about usbnetworking.

So are you trying to use a "built in" version of ssh (DIAGS ONE)
or Nilujes Usbnetworking (via wifi)

Because this seems like a mix of the two concepts.

What is the END GOAL, as Nilujes Usbnetworking does not require you do all this DIAGS stuff... I honestly am not grasping the big picture.

Someone did walk-through something similar recently https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #3
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
you installed usbnetwork on main - so you want to use it from main. Unplug kindle, reboot it to main, enable usbnetwork as per the instructions for the K4 (I think it's `debugOn; ~usbNetwork, but again, trust the instructions, not my memory). Finally plug the kindle to the computer and it will show up as a networked device, and ssh will work. As simple as that.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #4
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
... (I think it's `debugOn; ~usbNetwork, but again, trust the instructions, not my memory).... As simple as that.
Yeah maybe it is ;debugON and ~usbNetwork on a 4. I recall Niluje saying it was a funny mix. so yeah... read the docs. boot to main. profit.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, ;debugOn then ~usbNetwork on the K4 (it's case insensitive, so ;debugon & ~usbnetwork works, too, which helps, because the virtual keyboard is annoying enough as it is ).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 03:03 AM   #6
glise
glise began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2nd Generation
I apologize for resurrecting a thread from seven years ago, I know it's not good forum etiquette. I'm only going to post this solution once, and I feel most connected to this post after scouring it several times today. In the name of all those who want to scream "Hhhhhhhhelp!" because they've been debugging an issue for their wife for the last ten hours, I'm just going to bring this thread back from the dead anyways. Phew, here we go.

I want to acknowledge the work of everyone who contributed to the files I'm using; and for the countless brave souls who left a trail of breadcrumbs across various online forums (mostly this one). I couldn't possibly acknowledge everyone, but if you find this: THANK YOU. (especially you NiLuJe!)

I have a Kindle 2nd Generation (B003), and am using Windows 10.

Symptom: Cannot register with amazon.com.
Cause: Kindle thinks it is 1970, voiding its security certificate.
Solution: Root (jailbreak) kindle, manually set the date to today.

You can check if you have the same problem by checking your firmware (FW) version, it should be 2.5.8 (Menu>Settings> it's along the bottom), and by checking the time (search (del) "@time"), it should say sometime 1970.

The general work flow is this:
Root the device
Install the usbNetwork hack
Configure all the settings!
SSH into the device and change the date

ROOTING
Go here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004
Rooting is fairly straightforward: You download the appropriate files, move them to the Kindle via usb, and update your Kindle. Any questions can hopefully be resolved through a quick Google search.

USBNETWORK HACK
Go here (again): https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004
Installing the usbNetwork hack is the same process. Don't mess with anything in here unless you know what you're doing (I learned this the hard way: I do not know what I'm doing, it's a miracle that I got through this given my... poor history with using linux)
The usbNetwork hack does something very important, it allows you to switch the way your computer treats and communicates with the Kindle. Normally your computer treats the Kindle as a usb mass storage device, this lets you drag and drop files into the Kindle. When usbNetwork is active however, it will behave as a network device.

CONFIGURE ALL THE SETTINGS!
Okay, now for the hackerman stuff.
Before you turn usbnetwork on, you need to plug it into the computer so you can edit the config file. The config file is in usbNet>etc and you can edit it with notepad. The only thing you need to change is the IP addresses, they MUST be:

HOST_IP=192.168.15.201
KINDLE_IP=192.168.15.244

Save, close, eject, unplug. On to the Kindle...
Now you need to enter several commands on the Kindle to turn on usbNetwork. You'll enter the commands in the search box, which you can bring up with the "del" key on the K2 (Kindle 2nd Generation), and then press the enter/return key.
;debugon
`help
`usbnetwork
;debugoff
When you type `help you should get a little dialog box that pops up, you can ignore all of this. This is just to make sure that everything is working right, if `help doesn't bring anything up than it's not working. Either you didn't root your device correctly, you haven't entered debug mode, or somehow you're not entering commands correctly. This tripped me up for a while.
For some firmware versions (FW 3.x plus I think) you use ~ instead of ` so that's something you should try if `help doesn't bring up a little box.

With that, plug your Kindle back into your computer. If usbNetwork is on, you shouldn't get a "USB Drive Mode" screen when you plug it in. Your computer will give you a little notification saying that it's installing a driver or something. After that, open device manager, you should see USB Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget under Network adapters. If you don't, then you may need to follow one of these tutorials. I didn't have this problem, so I can't help you any.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3815254
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ighlight=RNDIS

Once it's showing up in device manager then it's on to the next step!
Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Change adapter settings. For me, "Ethernet 2" is my device. I right click on that, properties, TCP/IPv4, properties, set the IP address to 192.168.15.201. Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, leave gateway blank. (reference: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=176344&page=4)
All the settings should be set now!

SSH INTO THE DEVICE AND CHANGE THE DATE
I'm assuming that you have OpenSSH client installed on your computer, I think it's default now. But if you're getting an error trying to work through this next section you should look into that.
First, open cmd and ping 192.168.15.201 and 192.168.15.201 and make sure they are responding. (Type "ping 192.168.15.201" and press enter). If either of them time out or give an error, then I don't know what's up- make sure you followed the above directions!
Then type "ssh 192.168.15.201", you should get ssh: connect to host 192.168.15.201 port 22: Connection refused
That doesn't do anything, but if you get that then you should still be on the same page as me.
Now for the good stuff: type "ssh 192.168.15.244". It should ask you something something (I forgot) to which you respond yes by pressing enter, then it might ask you a password. For me the password was blank, I just pressed enter again. If that doesn't work, then use this website to find your password: https://www.sven.de/kindle/
Finally you should be able to just type "date MMDDHHMMYYYY" (month month date date hour hour minute minute year year year year) and press enter, changing the time to whatever you entered. For example, right now it's January 5th, 2020 at 11:49 pm so I would type "date 010523492020".

That's it! Close command prompt, unplug your kindle, type the familiar
;debugon
`usbnetwork
;debugoff
to turn off usbnetwork. You can now confirm that the time and date is what you set it to. Now you should be able to register with amazon.com, or at least have the correct time and date.

I know this isn't super relevant to the thread, and this thread is super duper old. But if I clicked on this result so many times over the last day, anyone else who is trying to solve the same problem will too- and you will find this post and be saved! Or hopefully at least have a little more help in the right direction.
glise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 05:13 AM   #7
Junket
Nil adsuetudine maius
Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Junket ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4
Junket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Or, alternatively: ;setdate in the search bar? (feed it an epoch) .

(I mean, I'm a fan of doing insanely complicated shit to fix a simple issue, but in this case, eh ;D).

(I'm *pretty* sure setdate was already here on FW 2.x. My K2 is flat, so I can't check right now. And since it going flat does reliably wreck the clock, I know that the setdate *script* exists, because that's how I usually fix it over SSH. But if the script is there, there's a fairly good chance the search command is, too).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 01-06-2020 at 12:15 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote