Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
[QUOTE=Uncle Robin;3970207]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post

The thread is specifically about Pocketbook vs Kobo - no one in Europe would need to buy a Pocketbook from Goodreader, as they are readily available there. My point about prohibitive shipping costs FOR POCKETBOOK to, quote, (again!) "much of the world" remains valid. EOT
Well, Europe is no more "much of the world" than US is. Do you think there's a difference in the availability of Pocketbook vs Kobo for someone in Africa, Asia or South America?

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-30-2020 at 08:04 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:09 PM   #17
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
[QUOTE=Sirtel;3970209]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post

Do you think there's a difference in the availability of Pocketbook vs Kobo for someone in Africa, Asia or South America?
Yes. Pocketbook's own website makes this very clear.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:21 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=Uncle Robin;3970210]
Quote:

Yes. Pocketbook's own website makes this very clear.
But Kobo is also available in only a handful of countries, according to their webpage. For the rest of the world both Pocketbook and Kobo are probably equally hard to get.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:23 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Actually you can get them relatively cheaply at GoodEReader (which is something I, personally, probably wouldn't do.)
Quote:
MY post said "much of the world", your reply is US-specific. I stand by my comment.
I really wasn't trying to counter your claim. I just thought folks who were interested in PocketBooks (in the U.S.) might want to know of possible (relatively inexpensive) sources.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-30-2020 at 09:35 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Well, Europe is no more "much of the world" than US is. Do you think there's a difference in the availability of Pocketbook vs Kobo for someone in Africa, Asia or South America?
I found an inexpensive PocketBook 615 on eBay (like I needed another eReader) and realized all the YouTube reviews for this model were in Russian. Then I read an English review (written by a Russian) where he claimed that PocketBook has 70% of the Russian market. If true, that's a pretty significant number.

Last edited by rcentros; 03-30-2020 at 09:32 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #21
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
But Kobo is also available in only a handful of countries, according to their webpage. For the rest of the world both Pocketbook and Kobo are probably equally hard to get.
Hmmm... 25 markets plus selling ebooks to 150 countries for Kobo.

OTOH, I still have trouble believing that customer survey that Kobo ran that said that ~47% of ereader users like reading in the bathtub, by the pool or other places close to water.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:12 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=Sirtel;3970202]
Quote:

GoodEReader ships internationally. I bought my Nook from them.
You have my condolences.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:17 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... 25 markets plus selling ebooks to 150 countries for Kobo.

OTOH, I still have trouble believing that customer survey that Kobo ran that said that ~47% of ereader users like reading in the bathtub, by the pool or other places close to water.
My last vacation there were a lot of people reading by the pool with a Reader. My last cruise had a lot of people Reading outside by the pool. I've seen iPads, Kobos, and Kindles by the pool. So for the poll, I believe the result from my experience.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 07:12 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You have my condolences.
Why? I knew what I was buying and have not regretted it. Yes, the Nook software is pretty lacking, but it's not so awful as to be unusable. And the hardware is nice.

GoodEReader was the only one selling Nooks outside the US. I had no problems with them.

As to the availability of Kobo, I actually had to do some searching to get my Libra. It's not sold locally, Kobo didn't want to ship to my country and neither did a couple of French and Spanish stores I tried next. Several stores had cheaper Kobos in stock, but not the more expensive ones, the Forma and the Libra. Finally I got the Libra from a store in the Netherlands. So, imho Kobo readers are not actually so widely available outside the US and Canada and perhaps a few more countries. At least that's my personal experience.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-31-2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-01-2020, 05:26 AM   #25
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Here in Turkey we only had Kobo and Pocketbook, but the company that sold Pocketbooks went under since everyone here uses Kobo. We only have Kobo now.

This is the store. I have no idea if they sell internationally.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDestruct View Post
I don't have a Pocketbook but I heard that Pocketbook doesn't have its own store and you have to sideload all your books... another big disadvantage
This is wrong in so many ways, I don't know where to start!

- They do have their own store.

- Moreover one can buy with ANY store that sells epub via the device. No sideloading needed!

- One can directly download books from the public library onto the device in Germany and France. No sideloading needed!

- They are able to convert ACSM and have Adobe DRM onboard.

- They do have Send-to-Pocketbook, which is emailing books onto the device much like Kindles do.

- They do come with their own cloud storage.

- They do Dropbox.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote