Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2017, 07:40 PM   #1
Incanus
Incanus
Incanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litterIncanus doesn't litter

Device: Boyue Likebook T80D
Question Factory Reset, Firmware Update and Calibre Library Sync (ebook files on uSD Card)

Hello:

I keep my ebooks on a uSD Card, and I sync them to my Kobo Aura (2013) using Calibre.

Looking at the files on Kobo's internal memory, it seems that whenever I sync my files, Calibre updates 2 files at the root of my Kobo Aura internal memory:

driveinfo.calibre
metadata.calibre

I'm planinng on doing a factory reset on my Kobo Aura, and then apply a side load firmware update, but I don't want to wipe out the files on my uSD Card nor do I want to resync them all over again from Calibre after the reset+update.

My current plan for that is as follows:
  1. Backup current driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre files from internal memory
  2. Switch off the Kobo Aura, eject the uSD Card and then turn the Kobo on
  3. Perform a factory reset using the configuration menu
  4. After the reset, apply a sideload firmware update
  5. After the update:
  • Plug the Kobo using USB cable to the PC where I store my library
  • Restore the driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre files to the root of my Kobo Aura internal memory
  • Insert the uSD Card on the Kobo Aura
  • Start Calibre so that I may sync the Collections and other metadata to the Kobo

Would that work? Or is there a different way to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Incanus

Last edited by Incanus; 10-19-2017 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Thread title edition
Incanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Strictly, you don't need to backup and restore the driveinfo.calibre and metadata.calibre files. They are helper files for calibre that will be recreated when calibre connects.

The driveinfo.calibre file contains an id that calibre can use and things like the timestamp of the last connection. The only thing I can think of that gets used in it is the id. The Kobo Utilities and Reader List plugins can use the id to identify the device. If you don't use either of these, or don't have any device specific configuration, then calibre generating a new id doesn't matter.

The metadata.calibre helps to connect the books on the library to those in the library. Calibre can do this each time, but there are some circumstances, that it will get this wrong. The main one for the Kobo devices are books with multiple authors. They tend not to be matched automatically, and you need to do the manual match in the device list. This is then stored in the metadata.calibre. Removing the file, means these are lost.

For what you are doing, I am not sure that keeping these files will help. As you sideload to the external SD card, there will be a metadata.calibre on the card. That will be used by calibre to match the books on the card. The metadata.calibre file in the main storage only has books that are in the main storage. And if you don't sideload books there, it will only have purchased books in the main storage and hence in this file. Part of the metadata.calibre is the path to the book on the device. For purchased books this is a id that Kobo generates. I have never bothered to look to see if this id is the same after a factory reset. So, the file might not actually match any books and be recreated during the first connection.

As to your steps, you don't really need to remove the external SD card when doing a factory reset. The device won't touch it until after the setup is finished. I usually plan to remove it, but nearly always forget. The reason I want to remove it is not because I don't want the books on it to be processed until I'm ready. If the card is in the device, they will be processed after the setup is finished and before the home screen is displayed the first time.

Other than that, I can't see a problem with the steps. But, I have to ask, why are you doing a factory reset? What problem are you trying to solve?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I factory reset my Kindles & Fires seems the Calibre stays... Like once on it stays!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 10:03 PM   #4
Incanus
Incanus

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Other than that, I can't see a problem with the steps. But, I have to ask, why are you doing a factory reset? What problem are you trying to solve?
Thanks for your prompt, complete and very kind reply

I'm currently on firmware 3.12.1 and it's quite fast on my Kobo Aura.

If it weren't for a page refresh bug (Chapter refresh actually regreshes the screen after every page) it would be perfect... so I'm looking for a (as near as possible) bug free, old screen, simple features, slim and fast firmware version.

That would be firmware 3.19.5761 from what I've read so far.

Problem is, I tried to side load an update to 3.19.5761 (without removing the uSD) and it got bricked. I had an internal memory backup for 3.12.1, so I hard/manual factory reseted the Kobo, restored my 3.12.1 internal memory backup. Fojas cero as they say.

Then, I tried to side load an update to 4.2.8432 (without removing the uSD, again). It didn't got bricked but it didn't read my uSD ebooks even after a succesful Calibre sync... so, hard/manual factory reset, restore 3.12.1 internal memory backup. Fojas cero one more time.

Right now I'm trying to figure out a way to not stay stuck on 3.12.1, improve my reading (page refresh) experience... without re loading the whole 14.747 ebooks from scratch: Calibre helps, but only uploading to the uSD batches of 500 or so ebooks at a time (or so it goes for me, before the sync process fails with errors)

Grateful for any advice,

Incanus
Old 10-23-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
Incanus
Incanus

I tried the steps and it didn't work: kobo ignored my uSD Card ebooks collection as if it wasn't there.

After a factory reset, I'm now on firmware 3.19.5613 and I'm (patiently...) reloading my uSD card from scratch using calibre.

Firmware 3.19.5613 has none of the page refresh bugs of 3.12.1 and it's actually faster on the Collections manager.

Unless something signficant enough happens with any of the 4.XX.YYYY firmware versions, I'm staying with 3.19.5613 for the forseable future.

Thanks for your patience and advice,
Old 10-23-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
I tried the steps and it didn't work: kobo ignored my uSD Card ebooks collection as if it wasn't there.

After a factory reset, I'm now on firmware 3.19.5613 and I'm (patiently...) reloading my uSD card from scratch using calibre.
I think I missed something earlier. Were you expecting the collections for books on the external SD card to be saved somehow? If so, they aren't. The collections are only in the database. The existence of the collections are synced to the server as well as what collections the purchased and downloaded books are in. But, for any sideloaded book, the books have to be put back in the collection by some other method. After the factory reset, when you put the external SD, the books will be imported from that. You then need to do something to put these books into collections. Connecting to calibre should do that automatically without the need to resend the books.
Quote:
Firmware 3.19.5613 has none of the page refresh bugs of 3.12.1 and it's actually faster on the Collections manager.

Unless something signficant enough happens with any of the 4.XX.YYYY firmware versions, I'm staying with 3.19.5613 for the forseable future.
Any reason you didn't choose 3.19.5761? That is what usually recommend for people not wanting to move to the 4.x firmware.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:32 PM   #7
Incanus
Incanus

Quote:
I think I missed something earlier. Were you expecting the collections for books on the external SD card to be saved somehow? If so, they aren't. The collections are only in the database.
Sorry, bad wording. I meant that the Kobo didn't read any ebooks from the uSD card; I do know that, if it had read them, I could have restored the collection metadata from Calibre.

But, alas! for the reseted Kobo there were no files on my uSD card, and neither Calibre recognized them as installed on the Kobo's uSD card.

Quote:
Any reason you didn't choose 3.19.5761? That is what usually recommend for people not wanting to move to the 4.x firmware.
I seem to recall that this forum's thread on 3.19.5761 said that it didn't solve any bugs from 3.19.5613... so I played it safe.

So far, so good.

BTW, I've just restored my +14.700 ebook library to my uSDCard using Calibre on my 3.19.5761 Aura: happy!

Grateful for your kind reply,

Incanus
Old 10-26-2017, 07:09 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incanus View Post
Sorry, bad wording. I meant that the Kobo didn't read any ebooks from the uSD card; I do know that, if it had read them, I could have restored the collection metadata from Calibre.

But, alas! for the reseted Kobo there were no files on my uSD card, and neither Calibre recognized them as installed on the Kobo's uSD card.
Ok. But, That's strange. There is a problem with the Touch where the device doesn't see the card if it is restarted with the card in it. But, eject it and insert it again, and it is OK. I can't think of any reports like that with other devices.

Quote:
I seem to recall that this forum's thread on 3.19.5761 said that it didn't solve any bugs from 3.19.5613... so I played it safe.

So far, so good.

BTW, I've just restored my +14.700 ebook library to my uSDCard using Calibre on my 3.19.5761 Aura: happy!
3.19.5761 didn't have many changes, but it had a performance fix for highlighting. And I think it just felt better over all.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:33 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
How do I change Aura H2O from 4.5.xxx to 3.19.xxx? The home screen is useless for me.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
How do I change Aura H2O from 4.5.xxx to 3.19.xxx? The home screen is useless for me.
Before you try to go back to 3.19.5761, give 4.6.9995 a try. Also, if you do go back, you lose any new features and fixes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:35 AM   #11
Incanus
Incanus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Before you try to go back to 3.19.5761, give 4.6.9995 a try. Also, if you do go back, you lose any new features and fixes.
Did tried it.
Posted my experience.
Didn't liked it.

What can you do... it's what happens when you have a large library on SD card and you read from it with a Kobo Aura 2013: you use with whatever firmware gives you the best performance with the features you need, not the latest firmware per se.

Thanks for your kind interest and advice!

Incanus