Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-05-2021, 09:15 PM   #1936
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW3, PW4, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I will. I pick up Graham Masterton books as they go on sale, because he's one of those authors I used to see on the shelves all the time and because Open Road regularly lists his stuff for $2. But so far, I've only read Charnel House and watched the movie of The Manitou (which was a hoot!).

One I'm really curious about is Walkers (because the old cover of a brick-man grabbing at people intrigued me) and Ritual aka Feast because of a discussion about it here.

Right now, I'm reading Season of Passage by Christopher Pike. It is in the process of being turned into a movie by a director I really like and for once, I want to be ahead of the curve.

It was available as an ebook, but curiously is no longer available. Seems like now is the time to sell the book with a Soon To Be A Major Motion Picture slapped on the cover.
I have read Ritual - disturbing stuff

Masterton is a genious at making stuff genuinely eerie

I have to read Season of Passage still. Pike was always one of my favorite authors but I for some reason pick up his adult stuff but never read them. Weird.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:28 AM   #1937
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Glowlight 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I have to read Season of Passage still. Pike was always one of my favorite authors but I for some reason pick up his adult stuff but never read them. Weird.
I missed Christopher Pike when his teen books were released and have only a passing familiarity with his work.

Season of Passage had a very distinct cover that drew my eye, so I picked it up as a paperback and then later as an ebook (with a much less appealing cover).

For some reason, the ebook isn't currently available. But the book is being filmed by Mike Flanagan, a director whose work I've really enjoyed (Hush, Oculus, Gerald's Game, Doctor Sleep, The Haunting of Hill House).

Before Season of Passage, Flanagan is adapting another Pike book (The Midnight Game) as a Netflix series.

That Season of Passage cover:
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2021, 07:07 AM   #1938
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
They'll more than likely re-release the ebook for $12.95 when the film comes out and with a new cover showing the stars and/or the usual Stephen King blurb, along with some half-naked man (waist up) staring slack-jawed at some demon wearing a mini-skirt. They'll sell 500,000 copies - if the film is successful.

The alternative was not very pretty: Sell 758 copies for $2.98 (or whatever the price was before the film was negotiated).

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 08:37 PM   #1939
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I missed Christopher Pike when his teen books were released and have only a passing familiarity with his work.

Season of Passage had a very distinct cover that drew my eye, so I picked it up as a paperback and then later as an ebook (with a much less appealing cover).

For some reason, the ebook isn't currently available. But the book is being filmed by Mike Flanagan, a director whose work I've really enjoyed (Hush, Oculus, Gerald's Game, Doctor Sleep, The Haunting of Hill House).

Before Season of Passage, Flanagan is adapting another Pike book (The Midnight Game) as a Netflix series.

That Season of Passage cover:
Take it from me -
First Read: Whisper from Death - Dark, surreal, dream-like , awesome

Good follow up is Die Softly as a character study type that's not the typical YA of the day. Neither area, he's a great author but I actually prefer his YA stuff which is unusual for me
Old 12-10-2021, 11:15 AM   #1940
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Mystery by Peter Straub is $2.99 at Amazon US.

Straub is primarily a horror writer, but there are no supernatural elements here. Mystery is the second book of a trilogy (after Koko, followed by The Throat). But the trilogy is told out of order. Mystery (set in the 1960's) should stand on its own.

Quote:
Tom Pasmore, ten years old, survives a near fatal accident. During his long recovery, he becomes obsessed with an unsolved murder and finds he has clues to solving it that he shouldn’t. Lamont von Heilitz has spent his life solving mysteries, until he wanted to know nothing more of the terror of life and the horror of death. When a new murder disrupts their world of wealth, power, and pleasure, the two must form an unlikely partnership to confront demons from the past and the dark secrets that still haunt the present.
Advert
Old 12-10-2021, 11:24 AM   #1941
Paperbackstash
Wizard

Robert McCammon has a lot of his Matthew McCorbitt series on sale for 2.99. The reason I noticed is audible is offering audiobook upgrades if you have the kindle for most of the series for 1.99. 5.00 to have the kindle and the audiobook is great deal - the narrator is fabulous for these.
Old 12-12-2021, 12:05 AM   #1942
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

The Children’s Hour by Douglas Clegg is $0.99 at Amazon US.

Quote:
When Joe Gardner returns with his wife and kids to the peaceful mountain town of Colony, West Virginia, he doesn’t expect to run into the child who disappeared when he was a boy. But she remembers Joe. And she has plans for him.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:09 AM   #1943
salty-horse
Guru
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Repost from the SF&F forum:
No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull is $0.99 on Amazon.com
First in a series. This is a brand new release, and was on my wishlist.
Quote:
One October morning, Laina gets the news that her brother has been shot and killed by Boston cops. But what looks like a case of police brutality soon reveals something much stranger. Monsters are real. And they want everyone to know it.

As creatures from myth and legend come out of the shadows, seeking safety through visibility, their emergence sets off a chain of seemingly unrelated events. Members of a local werewolf pack are threatened into silence. A professor follows a missing friend’s trail of bread crumbs to a mysterious secret society. And a young boy with unique abilities seeks refuge in a pro-monster organization with secrets of its own. Meanwhile, more people start disappearing, suicides and hate crimes increase, and protests erupt globally, both for and against the monsters.

At the center is a mystery no one thinks to ask: Why now? What has frightened the monsters out of the dark?

The world will soon find out.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #1944
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
Repost from the SF&F forum:
No Gods, No Monsters by Cadwell Turnbull is $0.99 on Amazon.com
First in a series. This is a brand new release, and was on my wishlist.
Thanks for that. Sounds more fantasy than horror, but it does sound good.
Old 12-12-2021, 02:46 PM   #1945
salty-horse
Guru
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Sounds more fantasy than horror, but it does sound good.
Yes, based on Goodreads shelves it's 25% horror, and reviews describe it as creepy and dark, so I thought it's good enough for a cross-post.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #1946
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Anne Rice Bargain

The Witching Hour (Lives of Mayfair Witches Book 1) by Anne Rice is $3.99. This might be a limited-time bargain.

RIP Anne Rice
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 04:32 AM   #1947
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
I'm really having a hard time taking Douglas Clegg seriously, because in Swedish, his last name means something like "goo". Something sticky. I just can't stop thinking about it! But I have read one book by him and liked it. In my defense, that is. 😂
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 06:12 AM   #1948
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Aura One, Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
The Witching Hour (Lives of Mayfair Witches Book 1) by Anne Rice is $3.99. This might be a limited-time bargain.

RIP Anne Rice

I hadn't realized she died.

(I was watching too many murders and cell-phone hijackings on the streets of Peru.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #1949
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post

RIP Anne Rice
If I didn't already have hard copy, I'd jump on this. I've been thinking of re-reading it (it's been many years) and hearing about her death just makes me want to read it more.

Soon...
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:59 AM   #1950
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
A Christmas Tale by Austin Crawley is on .99 again.

US https://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Tal.../dp/B019CZURVU
UK https://www.amazon.co.uk/Christmas-T.../dp/B019CZURVU

"Inspired by the Dickens tale, A Christmas Carol, three young women decide to hold a séance to raise the spirits of Christmas Past, Present and Future. They don't expect a result, but what they call out of the aethyr gives them a creepy holiday they will never forget, if they live to tell the tale!"

I highly recommend this one. Planning a re-read after the annual read of Dickens' Christmas Carol before Christmas.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote