Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-15-2021, 06:55 AM   #1
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo
Question Strange random page formatting

Hi, please don't shout if this has been asked before.

With some epubs downloaded here from MobileRead, the text is shown in one narrow column right through the book as if it was formattted for some kind of ridiculously small telephone, even the cover and table of contents are narrow. With others, the majority, all's fine.

I've tried playing with margins and so on but to no avail.

This has been going on for about a year - I can't give titles just now off the top of my head but will if needed. And I could post photos of the screen (can't do screenshots )

Any ideas ?

KOBO Glo
software version : 4.30.18838

Last edited by joiwind; 12-15-2021 at 08:03 AM.
joiwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joiwind View Post
This has been going on for about a year - I can't give titles just now off the top of my head but will if needed. And I could post photos of the screen (can't do screenshots )
A sample title would do. It may be that one of our contributors has used some odd CSS settings.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:14 AM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A sample title would do. It may be that one of our contributors has used some odd CSS settings.
Yeah, I mean, you definitely run into odd formatting, hither and yon, whether here on MR (which definitely has some of the best), or PG, or PG-Oz (footnotes in tables, god help us all), etc.

Sometimes it can be the result of a CSS kluge, done a long time ago and far away, and no longer needed now; sometimes it's just...haphazard.

If you'd point us toward one, we could all see if at least there was a fast way to fix it. If it's huge margins, that should be easily fixable with a few clicks, really.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
joiwind
joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joiwind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OK, here are two that don't work and two that do ! (Chosen at random.)
Incidentally, the ones that don't work in my Kobo, DO work in Sumatra. I've tried running them through Calibre and re-saving them as epubs but no go.

Don't work :
  • You Play the Black And The Red Comes Up by Eric Knight
  • Past Masters Thirty-Five

Do work :
  • Past Masters Seven
  • The Jacob Street Mystery by R. Austin Freeman

Anyway thanks for taking interest.

Last edited by joiwind; 12-15-2021 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 01:38 PM   #5
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I tried the first "don't work" one and, yes, it has wonky margins on my Kobo. With Calibre's viewer it's ok. Let me open it in Sigil and see if I can spot anything...
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:47 PM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
OK, here are two that don't work and two that do !
The problem is most likely caused by the page_styles.css stylesheet.

In "Past Masters Seven," it contains:
Code:
@page {
    margin-bottom: 5pt;
    margin-top: 5pt
    }
and in "You Play the Black and the Red Comes Up," it contains:

Code:
@page {
    margin-left: 72pt;
    margin-right: 72pt;
    margin-top: 5pt;
    size: 612pt 792pt
    }
The last entry, marked in red, is invalid. Try deleting everything, except for:
Code:
    margin-top: 5pt
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 01:52 PM   #7
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm guessing it's the page_styles.css file:
Code:
@page {
    margin-left: 72pt;
    margin-right: 72pt;
    margin-top: 5pt;
    size: 612pt 792pt
    }
I opened the epub in sigil and deleted those lines from that file and then it was ok.

For Past Masters Thirty Five I pulled it into calibre and then ran the Modify ePub plugin and had the box "Modify @page and body margin styles" checked and that fixed it. I'm not sure but I think this plugin also looks at your calibre conversion settings for that and if so, mine says in the Convert box under Page setup, margins are set to 0.0pt for all 4, and I've selected Default profile for input profile and Tablet for Output profile.

So using the Modify ePub plugin is probably the least work.

Could you also send a message to pulpmeister letting him know about the problem?

Edit: Hah, doitsu beat me to it.

Last edited by hobnail; 12-15-2021 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-15-2021, 02:11 PM   #8
joiwind

Great ! Many thanks to all !!!

I must now go through my whole collection and try to sort out the faulty ones...
Old 12-15-2021, 03:14 PM   #9
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Great ! Many thanks to all !!!

I must now go through my whole collection and try to sort out the faulty ones...
It very likely safe to run the Modify ePub plugin on all of them.
Old 12-15-2021, 05:04 PM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
It very likely safe to run the Modify ePub plugin on all of them.
Yeah, that's an idea. (n.b.: if it were me, I'd copy the entire directory and park it somewhere, just in case, prior to running that plugin.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 08:12 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Don't work :

You Play the Black And The Red Comes Up by Eric Knight
Hmm, that was uploaded by prolific uploader Pulpmeiste on 2021-03-07.

I know mobileread gives very wide latitude to uploaders, but
"size: 612pt 792pt" seems so beyond the pale, maybe someone should contact him about that. (And I think even amazon wouldn't set 1 inch side margins.)
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 09:39 PM   #12
hobnail
Running with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Hmm, that was uploaded by prolific uploader Pulpmeiste on 2021-03-07.

I know mobileread gives very wide latitude to uploaders, but
"size: 612pt 792pt" seems so beyond the pale, maybe someone should contact him about that. (And I think even amazon wouldn't set 1 inch side margins.)
He's using Microsoft Word and probably doesn't realize that his settings aren't quite kosher for ereaders. And maybe he's checking the output on a Kindle, where it might work, but not checking on a Kobo.
Old 12-16-2021, 09:11 AM   #13
joiwind

Well, in the end there were only 24 to rectify so I corrected them manually one-by-one in Sigil, didn't take long with a bit of organisation. They dated from around the beginning of 2021 to now - if I understand right someone has sent a PM to the uploader ? I don't really want to do that... Anyway thanks again for the help and comments.
Old 12-23-2021, 03:01 AM   #14
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
The four examples come from me, Pulpmeister. At the end of 2019 my old PC hard drive died, could not be resuscitated, so I got a new box with Windows 10. * Still using my old MS Office though. The two examples above that do work predate the disaster.

From that date, without me changing a thing in the way I make digital books, the epubs suddenly acquired this weird insertion of margins which I never asked for.

Joiwind sent me a PM, and I looked into it; went down a few false rabbit holes before I worked out the cause. Every epub up to the "great meltdown" was fine; every one since is, er, marginalised. I blame Windows 10, along with the infuriating way it now handles quotes, and other unimprovements. Doesn't happen, by the way, with those same books on my Kindle, using AZw3.

Anyway, henceforth, Pulpmeister epubs with be edited in Calibre to delete the unwanted margins before uploading. But I really don't feel like going back through a year's uploads, editing, and then uploading all over again. I have a queue of books lined up for 2022, including Peter Cheyney (d 1951) and others, and they'll all be fine.

Seasons wishes.

Incidentally, it cost me a small fortune to have most of the data recovered from my frazzled old hard drive. Luckily my Calibre Library was fully backed up on another drive. Once your PC or whatever first has to use "startup-repair", don't hesitate: get the drive cloned instantly, because the old one is definitely dying. Cloning a drive is so much cheaper than data recovery, but couldn't be done with mine because it was too far gone.

*Edit: Old system was Windows 7.

Last edited by Pulpmeister; 12-23-2021 at 09:18 PM.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote