Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 08-04-2015, 12:28 PM   #46
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Tom, I've altered the title of "Inspirational (nonreligious)" to now be "Inspirational Stories (nonreligious)".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 12:56 PM   #47
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
I'll third Originally Non-English
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 01:38 PM   #48
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I'll third Romance.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 01:58 PM   #49
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Note: we already have one Free-For-All month (see post #1), but I certainly have no objection to a second or even a third one.
Oops. One free-for-all month is enough fer me. Can I have my nomination back? Pretty please.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 02:07 PM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Oops. One free-for-all month is enough fer me. Can I have my nomination back? Pretty please.
Done.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2015, 03:15 PM   #51
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I second Patricia Clarke Memorial Library.

Our library is a real contribution to the internet. Its volunteers have put a lot of time and effort into it, and once a year I think we should show our gratitude.

And speaking for myself, I enjoy being informed of what's in it! It's so big, there are many great items in there that I'm not aware of.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I think it's an unnecessary addition. I think that if stories that are part of a series are something people find undesirable, that rule or no rule, such books won't win the vote and may not even get so far as a third nomination.

That's just my 2¢.
I think it's very much needed. I do think there could be enough people who want to read something because of a story in a series that is popular. If it's part of the nomination rules, then we will only get book that don't have stories from any series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #53
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
To complement ccowie's Sports Fiction, I was going to nominate Sports Non-Fiction. There is a lot of garbage in that category, but some world-class items as well.

But I cannot imagine that both Sports Fiction and Sports Non-Fiction would win as separate categories.

Therefore, with a nod to ccowie, I'm going to nominate Sports (both Non-Fiction and Fiction), and hope that that will appeal to enough voters.

Last edited by GA Russell; 08-04-2015 at 03:27 PM.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:25 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

Our library is a real contribution to the internet. Its volunteers have put a lot of time and effort into it, and once a year I think we should show our gratitude.

And speaking for myself, I enjoy being informed of what's in it! It's so big, there are many great items in there that I'm not aware of.
I think it should either be this one or classics, but not both because then we'd basically have two months of classics and that would be a waste of a good month.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:26 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
To complement ccowie's Sports Fiction, I was going to nominate Sports Non-Fiction. There is a lot of garbage in that category, but some world-class items as well.

But I cannot imagine that both Sports Fiction and sports Non-Fiction would win as separate categories.

Therefore, with a nod to ccowie, I'm going to nominate Sports (both Non-Fiction and Fiction), and hope that that will appeal to enough voters.
If sports fiction wins, than we can read Harry Potter because of the quidditch scenes.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:49 PM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
GA Russell, what do you think about something like Sports Stories as the category name? That would include fiction and non-fiction but limit non-fiction to narratives and not things like fact books or histories.

If you're up for that, then I'll second it. I'm not a big fan of watching organised team sports, let alone reading about them, but this category interests me thinking about sports like surfing, hiking, etc.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #57
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Hmmm...does it really need to be Fiction, or could it also be something like:

Dave Bidini's books Tropic of Hockey and Home and Away?
Love both those books!
I'd love to have sports books like those nominated as well. What I was trying to avoid was biographies or autobiographies of sports figures. But, perhaps they should be part of the category as well. So, yes, I'm okay with simply Sports as the general category.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #58
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I don't really have a problem with biographies and autobiographies, but I probably wouldn't support them (although I have a friend that swears by Phil Jackson's and if you knew her you'd be interested in reading it.)

If GA Russell agrees to name their category Sports (and have it include both fiction and non-fiction) then I think we have three in support. That would be my fourth nomination if ccowie and GA Russell agree.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #59
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
Is modern fiction the same as Contemporary?
I think the intention is the same - books written in a modern setting and perhaps, but not necessarily, highlighting current social issues. Jon, would you agree that Modern Fiction and Contemporary Fiction are the same so that we can have three votes and advance the nomination?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 04:34 PM   #60
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I think it should either be this one or classics, but not both because then we'd basically have two months of classics and that would be a waste of a good month.
I'm with Jon on this (although I wouldn't call it a waste if we had two months of classics).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote