Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favorite genre? Choose all that apply.
Vampires 16 8.60%
Fantasy 85 45.70%
Sci-fi 96 51.61%
Comedy 25 13.44%
True Crime 15 8.06%
Mystery 71 38.17%
Historical Fiction 63 33.87%
Romance 20 10.75%
Christian Fiction 7 3.76%
General Fiction 46 24.73%
Biography / Autobiography 21 11.29%
Non-fiction 46 24.73%
Other (please specify) 24 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #1
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
What's your favorite genre?

I seperated vampires from fantasy and sci-fi because it seems to have developed into a genre of it's own that many people are into.

I've also noticed that the majority of people I've met on these forums read mostly books that fall into the first three catagories. Those are the only catagories that I don't read so I seem to have little in common with most people.

Just curious what the actual percentages are.

Thanks for your time.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Fayth
Zealot
Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.Fayth is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS 350
Fantasy for sure. I'll branch out eventually I suppose, but right now there are just so many Fantasy books that I haven't read.
Fayth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I've voted but should point out that Other (please specify) is not exactly useful as there is no opportunity to specify unless it means in comments like this...

If so then I also include Techno-thrillers, military history... and, when really desperate, anything with words... I am a reader...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM   #4
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
I've voted but should point out that Other (please specify) is not exactly useful as there is no opportunity to specify unless it means in comments like this...
That is exactly what I had intended. Thanks for commenting.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 08:50 PM   #5
ADuphily
Coffee Lover
ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.ADuphily equals 42.

Device: Kindle 3
Yay Sci-Fi! I also selected Fantasy and Historical Fiction. Then again, I'll read almost anything (including technical manuals) if it's interesting...
ADuphily is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #6
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've only just recently strayed from the general fiction and mystery shelves into the sci-fi and fantasy books at the library.

I'd read sci-fi/fantasy books when I was younger, but in my adult life didn't really bother. I think the main reason is that I don't like to watch those sort of movies or TV shows, so I kept away from the books. The last year has proven to me that I didn't know what I was missing.

I still like general fiction the best for getting absorbed in a story, but sci-fi and fantasy seem to be doing a pretty decent job of providing a fast escape.

I still won't read westerns or anything about seafaring.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I'll give anything a shot if it doesn't cost me money to try it nor eat up unreasonable amounts of my time for diminishing returns.

But I do prefer the speculative genres of fiction (sf/fantasy/detective/historical) where one is generally encouraged to "fill in the blanks" and imagine something different from what one might normally think would occur. And I also favour a lot of non-fiction, though that's such a broad category that it too needs some subgenre divisions.

As for my current favourites, I'd have to say right now I'm most strongly drawn to what can be best termed "Lovecraftian Bureaucracy", a reading kink which is kind of X-Files-ish when I think about it, with unspeakable horror being itemized and analyzed and filed in triplicate just as though it were any other routine agency concern.

I'm also liking public domain mash-ups of the Sherlock Holmes fights the War of the Worlds sort (I have one from the library by Manly Wade Wellman and a couple more on hold in the same reprint "series") rather than the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies type.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:14 PM   #8
JP36
Enthusiast
JP36 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq 2200, Pocketbook IQ 701, Sony PRS350
Initially it was History that got me 'liking' reading but presented as it was in school in limited bits could only go so far so I got into SciFi/Fantasy where those worlds/stories expanded and weren't part of 'school work'. In time I expanded out from Scifi/fantasy to other genres like history/crime/non-fiction/etc.
JP36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:34 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP36 View Post
Initially it was History that got me 'liking' reading but presented as it was in school in limited bits could only go so far so I got into SciFi/Fantasy where those worlds/stories expanded and weren't part of 'school work'. In time I expanded out from Scifi/fantasy to other genres like history/crime/non-fiction/etc.
I'd say my experience is the opposite. History was one of my least favorite subjects in school. However, reading historical fiction presented the topics in an entertaining way that got me more excited about the history behind the story. That made me research more about the books I was reading to separate fact from fiction so from there I branched into reading non-fiction and found it enjoyable too. Now I enjoy history very much, especially those books that combine historical fiction and mystery thrillers.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I put Sci-Fi/Fantasy. I do particularly like Steampunk/New Weird, but I'm also fond of Cyberpunk, some types of Urban Fantasy, Space Opera and even the traditional Fantasy forms (a la Lord of the Rings etc..).

One option you didn't have here was Horror. So I neglected to put that down, but I love horror as well.

I didn't put General Fiction, but I can certainly be blown away by general fiction titles.

But really, if the recommendation was strong enough, I'd read any fiction. Take Barbara Vine - one of my favourite authors. She doesn't really fit in with the "favourite" genres I've listed and yet I'm always happy to buy every new book that gets released by her.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #11
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post

Take Barbara Vine - one of my favourite authors. She doesn't really fit in with the "favourite" genres I've listed and yet I'm always happy to buy every new book that gets released by her.
Barbara Vine, aka Ruth Rendell is one my favorites too...of any genre. The first Rendell book I read, "Live Flesh", impressed me so much with the quality of writing that I've been hooked since.
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #12
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I chose general fiction and other. Most of my reading, if it's not general fiction, it's usually noir or horror. (I'm really picky about my horror, though.) (Okay, and my general fiction.) (Noir still gets a free pass, for now.) Occasionally I'll get sucked into a western or some sf. I don't get into urban fantasy, paranormal romance, or regular romance much at all, though. I do love a good love story, I just don't want it to be the story. Like Joe Hill's "Horns"--it was, at its heart, a love story, but the story was about Ig's...predicament. I like historical fiction, but fantasy and mystery don't usually do much for me. Finally, I try to read a nonfiction book a month. And then I'm usually very happy to get back to make believe.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:12 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Historic Fiction and Alternate History.

Which doesn't mean I won't read any of the other genres, but they generally don't attract me.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:17 AM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Fantasy, Mystery, and Other. Other because I'm picky. I like my fantasy Urban and my mysteries Cozy! Well, for the most part, anyway.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I ticked my most favourite ones - but if it has words printed I read it. And yes, including labels and manuals
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote