Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
3rd
3rd began at the beginning.

Device: KDXG
Good AI Autocropper - "VeryDOC PDF White Margins Removal"

Hi All,

There is plenty of PDF cropping software, but most of it is limited to specified rectangles.
"VeryDOC PDF White Margins Removal" works differently. Each page is analyzed with AI algorithm and then cropped exactly around the content.

The bad part is that software is non free. However you can try it 50 times. In addition settings of how many times you've tried this software are stored in configuration file in your home directory ;-)

Another bad thing is that cropped files are with text watermark when working in trial mode. In case of scanned files it is not a problem at all, because watermark appears in cropped corner. With texted PDF's case is worse, because watermark may appear randomly everywhere on page. Of course it can be removed with some PDF editing software by search/replace function.

Margins are not cuted, but only marked as invisible, like in Acrobat.

Anyway I think this software is worth trying.

Link:
http://www.verydoc.com/pdf-margin-cr...s-removal.html

Last edited by 3rd; 11-24-2010 at 09:07 PM.
3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:43 AM   #2
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Or you can do the same thing for free with no watermark using sopdf or pdcrop or a combination of ghostscript and calibre and probably many other tools.

I mean, come on, $80... for that? Ridiculous.

Seriously, I wish people would stop trying to sell proprietary, closed source, expensive solutions for things that can easily be done for free.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
3rd

Thanks, frabjous. All programs worked in similar manner. It is hard sometimes find proper free solutions, even they are available. Anyway watermark is easily removed with PDFedit.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 AM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd View Post
Hi All,

The bad part is that software is non free. However you can try it 50 times.
Sandbox? ... Do you get it?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #5
3rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by patilsaurabhr View Post
Sandbox?
No, apparently you've lost the way there, my friend.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd View Post
No, apparently you've lost the way there, my friend.
Sandbox (Computer Security)

He's hinting that if you installed the program in a virtual machine, when you ran out of free uses, you could delete the virtual machine and create a new one, and then you'd have another set of free uses. Clearly it's a violation of the spirit, and probably the letter, of the software's EULA.

Since real free-license open source alternatives exist, however, I don't see why you'd bother with something like this, even if it didn't bother your conscience. Even if they're not as feature-rich, with the open source alternatives, you can help improve it for anyone. (And not just by coding yourself: bug reports and feature requests are help too!)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
3rd

Hello frabjous,

I know what 'sandbox' means and if it was my misunderstanding, then I send my appologies to patilsaurabhr (just strange that there so many rotfls ;-))

As I wrote before, in home directory is simple INI-like file with number, no need to bother with VM.

And yes, OSS always better choise if proper alternative exist. Still I'm looking for good free autocropper for PDFs with raster images (better for Linux).

I liked VeryDoc cropper because of capability to crop text pages and image pages same time. And margins were only marked not truncated, so always persisted option to correct some pages after cropping. But I would be quite happy with one good autocropper for textual PDFs (wich I've found already) and another for raster PDF's.

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by frabjous View Post
you can help improve it for anyone. (And not just by coding yourself: bug reports and feature requests are help too!)
I have few ideas.

In Gimp is function called 'Zealous Crop'. It crops not only margins but also white spaces between objects, for example spaces between lines or paragraphs in books. It crops near all space but better to choose percentage of whitespace. Afterwards can be applied 75-90% resize, but only horizontal. That way some documents are resizable even in 3/4 (fonts will look condensed). And because such function can slice document into lines, lines could be aligned, because in some books lines (like headers) are shifted forward.

Lines of text in PDFs could be divided in two or three, pictures shifted and resized, afterwards optionally lines could be justified. It is option not for all books, but in some cases would help.