Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
Book % (Location) Deleted

I had an odd problem last night that I've never had happen before. I was laying in bed reading on my K2 and was somewhere around 40% done with "The Girl Who Played With Fire" when my phone rang. I propped my kindle against the pillow next to me and let it eventually enter sleep mode while I was talking.

About 45 minutes later -- as I was still on the phone -- I noticed an odd thing: the kindle screen flashed for a moment, then went to the startup screen (with the loading scroll bar) and rebooted itself to the main menu instead of the book I was reading. When I checked my book I realized that the location bar was back at zero (meaning it was telling me I hadn't read any of the book at all).
  • Battery was fine, about 50%.
  • Wireless was turned off.
  • All my books are legally paid for (only about 50 books on the device).

Not sure how it happened, or why. Did the firmware update yesterday or something? Not even sure if the Kindle can update with the wireless off. My firmware says 2.5.6, but I can't remember if that is what it was already at. Anyone ever lost their locations like this?
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
I had an odd problem last night that I've never had happen before. I was laying in bed reading on my K2 and was somewhere around 40% done with "The Girl Who Played With Fire" when my phone rang. I propped my kindle against the pillow next to me and let it eventually enter sleep mode while I was talking.

About 45 minutes later -- as I was still on the phone -- I noticed an odd thing: the kindle screen flashed for a moment, then went to the startup screen (with the loading scroll bar) and rebooted itself to the main menu instead of the book I was reading. When I checked my book I realized that the location bar was back at zero (meaning it was telling me I hadn't read any of the book at all).
  • Battery was fine, about 50%.
  • Wireless was turned off.
  • All my books are legally paid for (only about 50 books on the device).

Not sure how it happened, or why. Did the firmware update yesterday or something? Not even sure if the Kindle can update with the wireless off. My firmware says 2.5.6, but I can't remember if that is what it was already at. Anyone ever lost their locations like this?
My understanding is that your furthest-read point in a book isn't written to the file that keeps that data until you close the book, and that's usually considered to be done by going to the Home screen. A crash, or otherwise unexpected reboot, would have the book close without that data being recorded.

I don't know why you rebooted, but if you've been stable, I expect they just pushed you an update.

Last edited by Piper_; 09-30-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
You know, that does make sense. I was home sick so there is a good possibility that I had read 40% of that book without ever having went to the home screen.

Thank you Piper

I think now I'll periodically hit the home button while I read, just to be careful lol
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:33 PM   #4
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
You know, that does make sense. I was home sick so there is a good possibility that I had read 40% of that book without ever having went to the home screen.

Thank you Piper

I think now I'll periodically hit the home button while I read, just to be careful lol
Yup! That's what I do!

I lost my spot a few times when my K3 crashed, and trying to find it again was such a pain, I now frequently hit Home. I also add a bookmark every chapter, just to be safe.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k2us, kindle, kindle 2, location, locations