Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2020, 07:51 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The simple answer is that when Kobo moved into the Japanese market, they needed an epub3 renderer to handle Japanese typography. Their answer was to use the "ACCESS NetFront™ BookReader v1.0 EPUB Edition" to open epub3 ebooks with the file extension .kepub.epub. OTOH, they needed to keep using RMSDK to be compatible with Adobe ADEPT DRMed epubs and pdfs.

So two renderers became part of Kobo's firmware. RMSDK is still not close enough to a full featured epub3 renderer to allow sole use.
What about the current version of RMSDK? Is that good enough to handle ePub 3? If yes, then all Kobo needs to do is remove Access and update to the current RMSDK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:06 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What about the current version of RMSDK? Is that good enough to handle ePub 3? If yes, then all Kobo needs to do is remove Access and update to the current RMSDK.
The last time I looked at it, no it is not good enough. Especially not for fixed layout.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #18
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's not mentioned often, (actually, I think I'm the only one who ever brings it up..) but one thing I really want to be updated in Epub is the font fall back. With Epub (on Kobo,) if a book is using any characters or glyphs not included in your reading font, those characters are ignored. (you don't even see the classic blank square to even know there is something missing there.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You can disable changing pages by tapping and only go to to the next page by swiping or by buttons (if you have the Forma or the Libra). No more problems with notes.
Kobo Aura One, no buttons.
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 03:02 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
The last time I looked at it, no it is not good enough. Especially not for fixed layout.
Fixed layout is rubbish and on eInk even more rubbish.

So other then fixed layout or multimedia, how is the latest RMSDK (ADE)?
Advert
Old 03-26-2020, 03:22 PM   #21
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
The other reason for sticking with ACCESS, as I understand it, is licensing costs. Doesn't matter how much functionality RMSDK adds... the licensing isn't going to go away.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:00 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottdmk View Post
The other reason for sticking with ACCESS, as I understand it, is licensing costs. Doesn't matter how much functionality RMSDK adds... the licensing isn't going to go away.
Kobo already have a version of RMSDK. They just need to update it to the latest version.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-26-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 05:17 PM   #23
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
When I first used kobo, some years ago, (aura hd)I found that sideloads of epub compared with sideloads of kepub (via the calibre plugin ) would show as different text sizes. I.e. if I put on 2 versions of the same book, one would default to much larger or smaller text.
Thus it made sense to pick only one format, find a preferred default font size setting on the device, and read all like that.

I have not re checked this with my new kobos though. Is it still like that or could I have a mix of epub and kepub without having to change text settings. I did note that the forma with Dropbox integration works better for epub, because Dropbox does not understand that kepub is a valid book format
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 05:24 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
When I first used kobo, some years ago, (aura hd)I found that sideloads of epub compared with sideloads of kepub (via the calibre plugin ) would show as different text sizes. I.e. if I put on 2 versions of the same book, one would default to much larger or smaller text.
Thus it made sense to pick only one format, find a preferred default font size setting on the device, and read all like that.

I have not re checked this with my new kobos though. Is it still like that or could I have a mix of epub and kepub without having to change text settings. I did note that the forma with Dropbox integration works better for epub, because Dropbox does not understand that kepub is a valid book format
There are 2 patches that make the ePub and KePub font sizes the same size. KePub will be the same size as ePub. So you can read either without having to deal with different font sizes. 1 patch makes the font sizes the same size (no ide what size) and the other makes them use the ePub font size. That's a better font size as KePub starts off way too small.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:29 PM   #25
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
I have not re checked this with my new kobos though. Is it still like that or could I have a mix of epub and kepub without having to change text settings.
Even unpatched the Forma and the KA1 (all known firmware versions) don't have the epub/kepub font-size mismatch. AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, ClaraHD do have it. Not sure about the LibraH2O because I don't have one, but it wouldn't surprise me if it did have the mismatch.

Quote:
I did note that the forma with Dropbox integration works better for epub, because Dropbox does not understand that kepub is a valid book format
If you want to store kepubs in Dropbox I think you'd need to save them with a .kepub.epub file extension.

Last edited by jackie_w; 03-26-2020 at 06:34 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #26
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
As far as I'm aware, the latest version of RMSDK uses Readium for it's epub3 compatibility, and therefore probably webkit to render, which is what ACCESS uses so...

So basically, the version of RMSDK that Kobo uses is basically the latest version of the 'legacy' renderer (with all the nice typography features), so there really isn't any point to upgrading.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:03 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
As far as I'm aware, the latest version of RMSDK uses Readium for it's epub3 compatibility, and therefore probably webkit to render, which is what ACCESS uses so...

So basically, the version of RMSDK that Kobo uses is basically the latest version of the 'legacy' renderer (with all the nice typography features), so there really isn't any point to upgrading.
Um...no. The version of RMSDK that Kobo is using does not have all the nice typography features. You cannot use the OT features of an opentype font to get say true small caps.

RMSDK has better typography then Access and makes for a better reading experience. If the new RMSDK was put in place, then if what you say is true about the latest RMSDK basically being similar enough to Accessfor ePub 3 features, then Access can be dumped.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:24 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
It's not mentioned often, (actually, I think I'm the only one who ever brings it up..) but one thing I really want to be updated in Epub is the font fall back. With Epub (on Kobo,) if a book is using any characters or glyphs not included in your reading font, those characters are ignored. (you don't even see the classic blank square to even know there is something missing there.)
Kobo did try that a while ago. Unfortunately, the way that the RMSDK loads the fonts to be able to do the fallback was absurdly inefficient and caused huge performance issues. They backed it out very quickly.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:59 PM   #29
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Um...no. The version of RMSDK that Kobo is using does not have all the nice typography features. You cannot use the OT features of an opentype font to get say true small caps.

RMSDK has better typography then Access and makes for a better reading experience. If the new RMSDK was put in place, then if what you say is true about the latest RMSDK basically being similar enough to Accessfor ePub 3 features, then Access can be dumped.
Ah yeah, OT features What I meant is the line-breaking, kerning and ligatures that legacy RMSDK does. I'm honestly not quite sure how well the readium in the latest RMSDK works for these features.

Unfortunately, no one else seems to do line breaking like legacy RMSDK does, which is the main reason I still prefer it.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 10:11 PM   #30
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
No one does typography like Adobe, when they get their mind to it.

(Adobe Reader's font rendering is still ridiculously better than anything else out there).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote