Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Just as I worded it in the first post.
Yes. 5 15.15%
N/A 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
When you bought PRS-505 did you...

When you bought PRS-505 did you give your PRS-500 to your significant one (wife/husband/gf/bf)?
I am very curious how many of us have done it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
When you bought PRS-505 did you give your PRS-500 to your significant one (wife/husband/gf/bf)?

Yes. Although I was going to get her the 505 and mod it to handle Russian books. But flashing the 505 was too risky, so she got the 500 and I have the 505!

Last edited by DrMoze; 01-11-2008 at 03:39 PM.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The same here.

Although, I am not sure that my other half will really read books. She didn't read for a dozens years. I really hope that the reader will attract her because I can get almost any book in Russian for her. I really enjoy when both of us are sitting and reading

We will see...
Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
I really enjoy when both of us are sitting and reading
They are the best evenings for my wife and me, too. I wish we did it more often.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 05:15 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My wife already had a 500. So I sold mine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 06:08 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Sort of the opposite. I bought our first 505 for my wife and I liked it enough that she bought one for me!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #7
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
The same here.

Although, I am not sure that my other half will really read books. She didn't read for a dozens years. I really hope that the reader will attract her because I can get almost any book in Russian for her. I really enjoy when both of us are sitting and reading

We will see...
BTW, do you know if the Tanya Grotter books are available online? Not sure who the author is. [UPDATE: It's Dimitri Yemets, according to the WikiOracle.)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:07 AM   #8
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
BTW, do you know if the Tanya Grotter books are available online? Not sure who the author is. [UPDATE: It's Dimitri Yemets, according to the WikiOracle.)
They are. If you need a source send me PM please

Anything good?
Old 01-13-2008, 04:31 AM   #9
spooky69
Stats:
spooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheesespooky69 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505
Nice poll structure. Always good to have two choices in a yes-or-no-type question; "yes", and "N/a." Perhaps this was a playful, joking poll...if not...ya might want tas read s'mo' e-booksizzles. Yesssssssssssss.
spooky69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:16 AM   #10
Dajala
Enthusiast
Dajala began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX, Sony PRS-505
My wife refuses to abandon her REB1100...
Dajala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
astra
The Introvert

I asked my wife today in the morning how she feels about the reader.

She said she really likes it. The major factor is simplicity of use of a reader. As she said - it is not a computer! (despite a couple of degrees she has a trouble understanding folder-tree navigation idea). Basically, all she has got to do is to switch it on, turn pages froward/backward and switch it off. Whenever she turns the reader on, it opens on the page she finished reading last time. She finds it very convenient.
I am more than happy that she takes a liking of the reader If she keeps on reading and Sony comes to the UK in April, maybe I will convince her that we should buy 505 for her because I believe its screen is easier on eyes if you don't have a good light source (or maybe our friend goes to the USA and can bring one for us thus avoiding additional costs(I think it might convince her )).

P.S. Although I believe PRS-500's navigation buttons would be better for her. There is an audible click when you press menu button and some other buttons, while in PRS-505 buttons pressing buttons is not as obvious.

Last edited by astra; 01-13-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 PM   #12
flamaest
Groupie
flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flamaest ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-500
I agree, the poll structure should read " yes-no-N/A "

F.
flamaest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:35 AM   #13
astra
The Introvert

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaest View Post
I agree, the poll structure should read " yes-no-N/A "

F.
It depends on a purpose of a poll.
When I was creating this poll, all I wanted to know is how many people have done this. I wanted to create a poll with only 1 option (just to see the number of people who have done it.) So, basically any other option was irrelevant. It was teachnically impossible to create such poll, so I added second option as Not Applicable. Either you have given your old 500 to your other half or
- you didn't for a dozens different reasons or
- you could not do it because for example JSWolf's wife already had one.

So, in my opinion N/A has encompassed all the other reasons.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There needs to be a No answer. Neither of the answers fits with a lot of situations. Some people sold their 500 and did not give it to someone else. So N/A would be for people who never had a 500 or did not give it away.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
P.S. Although I believe PRS-500's navigation buttons would be better for her. There is an audible click when you press menu button and some other buttons, while in PRS-505 buttons pressing buttons is not as obvious.
I disagree. I think the buttons are fine. I never have an issue knowing when I pressed a button.